Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Something Else (Specify)

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
I believe in God - the father
Jesus is the Son.
The Holy Spirit is God.
The Bible is very clear on it.

I believe the Superman Comic Series is more clear than your bible.

Yep!
Comic books requires no learning other than reading. :biggrin:

And the Bible requires a lot of reading into it. So does the Koran.

It requires a lot of studying not reading into it.

We only have a finite amount of time in our lives. Better start thinking about your priorities. Religion is a waste of your time. Tick Tock Tick Tock.

Don't be a complete fool and fall for that "place in heaven" crap. No one has ever come back and given it a thumbs up. Billions have died and nary a single good report. Think about THAT.

The "fear of God" is how they got people to behave back in the old days. With no way to police all of the citizens in a specific area, I think they realized they had to do something because MAN is not inherently a "nice guy." :)

Eh --- I dunno, that's a cynical way to look at it. I think my view that it's a mass-manipulation tool to channel sociopolitical power into the hands of the power-greedy is actually less cynical in that it means "man" (humanity) is basically good, except for those who set out to institutionalize their own greed.

Every society that's ever developed anywhere comes up with social and moral codes that keep their masses in line. They usually rely on the peer pressure of each other (real people) rather than a contrived mythical Guy-in-the-Sky. It's what we call, especially when we overdo it, "PC".

Oh, I agree. But back then, things were much different. A lot of people were not educated and were ignorant. I really do believe that is why religion was invented. It was a way to keep the people in line without having to police large areas. I'm sure they also lacked jails and officers of the law, so . . . they came up with a "fear of a God" if you misbehave. :D

That 10% of everything people worked for wasn't too sleazy either. If you doubt for a minute that there's not some serious money donated to churches consider Vatican City then consider that churches own more real property than any entity in the world except the governments. I figure there are millions of lazy assholes working a couple of days a week when they should go out and find an honest job.

Well, to be fair, that is the recommendation, but I don't think you HAVE to give that much or anything at all if you can't. However, I see your point. Televangelists are even more sleazy though. Lol. I sometimes wonder how these people can lay their heads on their pillows and sleep at night.

WOW! My sentiments exactly. Jerry Falwell was the founder of "The Moral Majority" and Liberty College. He lived in a mansion behind a 12ft. high fence with a lot of security cameras and the like. I've often wondered what he was afraid of. I guess he didn't believe the scripture about a rich man having as much chance of going to heaven as a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.
Two young missionaries from his college showed up at my kitchen door about six or eight weeks ago. When they told me what they wanted and asked where we could sit down(I didn't invite them into the house) I told them not to waste their time because I wasn't superstitious. When folks come to my door with that stuff that's my standard reply. A couple of years ago a man came to my door doing the same thing for Jehovahs Witnesses and when I told him I wasn't superstitious he said, "On What I Have For You isn't Superstition." I replied, "The Hell It Isn't...To Me It Is!"

I just pretend I'm not home. Lol. :D

Jesus is the Son.
The Holy Spirit is God.

Yep!

What it requires is a lot of childhood brainwashing. That's the only thing which has kept that ridiculous nonsense alive this long.

A child can be taught that anything is the truth. Cannibals taught their young that consuming human flash and blood was right. Kinda ironic that when the cannibals gave that belief up they were convinced to do so by religious missionaries. Talk about irony.....they just traded the flesh and blood deal for crackers and grape juice which represented the same thing.

Jesus is the Son.
The Holy Spirit is God.

Yep!

What it requires is a lot of childhood brainwashing. That's the only thing which has kept that ridiculous nonsense alive this long.

A child can be taught that anything is the truth. Cannibals taught their young that consuming human flash and blood was right. Kinda ironic that when the cannibals gave that belief up they were convinced to do so by religious missionaries. Talk about irony.....they just traded the flesh and blood deal for crackers and grape juice which represented the same thing.

Jesus is the Son.
The Holy Spirit is God.

Yep!

Your analogy is not even close nor do you understand the wine and bread.
Many children have been taught to be atheists and become Christian when they turn adults.
It is not brainwashing.

I believe in the great OSOTU...Operating System of the Universe....

Yossarian: That is some OSOTU

Doc Daneeka: The best there is ...

Yep!

Many children have been taught to be atheists and become Christian when they turn adults.
It is not brainwashing.

The then new religion defined by the Roman emperor Constantine was supposed to have something for everybody. He was a cool guy. He selected which gospel accounts would be included in the new church. He selected the dates for Christmas and Easter which coincidently were previously pagan holidays.

This pretty well covered Cannibalism:

John 6:
55"For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57"As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me.…

Cina+cea+de+taina.jpg

Last edited:
Yep!

It is not brainwashing.

The then new religion defined by the Roman emperor Constantine was supposed to have something for everybody. This pretty well covered cannibalism:

John 6:
55"For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57"As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me.…

Cina+cea+de+taina.jpg

Cannibalism? I'm not a religious person, but all that is just symbolism I think. :D Nobody expects Christians to actually EAT Jesus.

Yep!

It is not brainwashing.

Life can certainly be easier if you have submitted to the mind meld that is the christian religion...at least in this country. Nobody ever got elected that I know of for any position claiming to be a devout atheist. Many people learn early on as adults that it is safer to play along. It is a lot more lucrative also. My giess is that the good christians get promoted more than the good atheists.

LOL.....like I said. Paganism was the biggie at that time and Constantine saw a lot of benefit for the Romans in reviving Christianity...it had all but died in the second and third century. He decided which gospels would be included in the bible. That's why he selected pagan holidays to continue as Christian celebrations.

One thing for sure.....you can't question his motives or his madness.......look at Vatican City:

St_Peter's_Square,_Vatican_City_-_April_2007.jpg

LOL.....like I said. Paganism was the biggie at that time and Constantine saw a lot of benefit for the Romans in reviving Christianity...it had all but died in the second and third century. He decided which gospels would be included in the bible. That's why he selected pagan holidays to continue as Christian celebrations.

One thing for sure.....you can't question his motives or his madness.......look at Vatican City:

St_Peter's_Square,_Vatican_City_-_April_2007.jpg

Yes, the Christians get very upset when you bring up the fact that a lot of their "symbols" actually originated from pagan symbols. They HATE that. Lol. :D

Romans didn't revive Christianity. It was alive and well but so was paganism and Constantine himself was a sun worshipper. It's rumored he became a Christian on his death bed but who knows. He did make Christianity the state religion and combined it with the the popular religions of the day, many still celebrated. He didn't decide on the books, he was no scholar but assembled bishops from all over to pick them out. Eusebius, his historian wrote about it and assembled the first canonized version.

Romans didn't revive Christianity. It was alive and well but so was paganism and Constantine himself was a sun worshipper. It's rumored he became a Christian on his death bed but who knows. He did make Christianity the state religion and combined it with the the popular religions of the day, many still celebrated. He didn't decide on the books, he was no scholar but assembled bishops from all over to pick them out. Eusebius, his historian wrote about it and assembled the first canonized version.
As chance would have it I came across this video yesterday. A History Channel documentary about which books were, and were not, include in the early Christian Bible. After watching it I had more information but it did not really change my opinion one way or another on anything.

As chance would have it I came across this video yesterday. A History Channel documentary about which books were, and were not, include in the early Christian Bible. After watching it I had more information but it did not really change my opinion one way or another on anything.
I didn't see the show but I think it misses the point to say some books were banned from the bible. The books included in the bible were decided on by committee, many books were in practice, some here, some there. So the bible is a consensus of the time.

I didn't see the show but I think it misses the point to say some books were banned from the bible. The books included in the bible were decided on by committee, many books were in practice, some here, some there. So the bible is a consensus of the time.

The title is a bit of a teaser that never materializes. For the majority of the video it discusses books which were just not include; Book of Enoch and Adam and Eve for example. In the last part it does discuss books by gnostic Christians that were 'banned'.

The title is a bit of a teaser that never materializes. For the majority of the video it discusses books which were just not include; Book of Enoch and Adam and Eve for example. In the last part it does discuss books by gnostic Christians that were 'banned'.
I'll have to see if it's on Netflix. Gnosticim was big at one time, it was the new age version of Christianity and maybe the birthplace for Christianity. Although there were many different flavors. Killing them off sorta put a damper on the movement though.

Yep!

It is not brainwashing.

Oh it certainly IS brainwashing, which is exactly why it starts up as soon as the child can understand words. If it were legitimate philosophy that could stand on its own merits, that pounce on the most vulnerable impressionable age wouldn't be necessary, would it? You could wait for, say, the same developmental critical thinking point where one studies trigonometry. Or philosophy in general. It's the same reason they draft young men for the military at age 18 -- you haven't yet grown up enough to figure out the world. If you had you wouldn't be going to fight somebody else's wars because you'd know better.

No it's obviously done at that age because it needs the most monsters-under-the-bed gullibility it can get, because it can't stand up to that kind of scrutiny. Perhaps a slightly better term would be indoctrination.

Which is not OTOH to say that such a child will automatically swallow it all even at that age. I started rejecting it at age 5. It just didn't pass the smell test. And in retrospect that instinct was correct.

Last edited:

The Council of Nicea, where they brought representatives of various offshoots and actually voted on what would pass and what would not, and then all the known documents that were voted as despised were burned. They voted Jesus to Son-o-God status too (which was not unanimous) so at least Jesus got to be the first god ever elected by democratic process. :thup:

Which is, I gotta admit, not bad for a guy who wasn't even running for the office.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back