Do we really need to spend Billions to go back to the Moon?

Class hatred aside, when you're trying to make money from commodities, you have to be able to sell them to everyone (even the exploited proletariat).

There's no point in harvesting all that "free gas" if doing so cost much more than you could recoup by selling to the masses.

What's the value of the knowledge we stand to gain by exploring and understanding our universe more?

Exploration by automation, sure. It's economical (comparatively) and useful ... if exceedingly mundane to the public.

But, the idea of intrepid space colonists and Elon Musk's private space pleasure dome on Mars aren't going to happen.

View attachment 448131
Elon Musk's private space pleasure dome on Mars aren't going to happen.
I disagree; the man is driven.
How upset will people be when their cars are self-driven within 4 years?

Exploration by automation, sure. It's economical (comparatively) and useful ... if exceedingly mundane to the public.

But, the idea of intrepid space colonists and Elon Musk's private space pleasure dome on Mars aren't going to happen.

Probably true but the ability to colonize another planet might be useful someday.

Any planet we colonize would be at greater risk of extinction for many centuries than humans at home.

The harsh, naked truth is, we evolved on Earth and its protective environment nurtures our species. No other planet of which we're aware can make such a claim.

Any planet we colonize would be at greater risk of extinction for many centuries than humans at home.

The harsh, naked truth is, we evolved on Earth and its protective environment nurtures our species. No other planet of which we're aware can make such a claim.

There's a lot of shit out there. I'm confident we could find another planet or even a moon to inhabit. Earth won't stay hot forever. Eventually our planet will look like Mars. Eventually our star will stop shining. If we don't find a way to leave Earth we'll go extinct faster than if we could inhabit other places.

I wouldn't consider myself a luddite to any degree. But, I'm not going to let Windows98 take me down the Interstate.

Any automated driving features they put in my car had better come with an OFF switch.

Eventually our planet will look like Mars.

And, eventually, our species will look like this ...

p027b1pn.jpg

I wouldn't consider myself a luddite to any degree. But, I'm not going to let Windows98 take me down the Interstate.

Any automated driving features they put in my car had better come with an OFF switch.

I think it will eventually be illegal for humans to drive on public roads. We're not going to let some arrogant monkey put us all in danger by thinking it drives better than the computers.

I think it will eventually be illegal for humans to drive on public roads. We're not going to let some arrogant monkey put us all in danger by thinking it drives better than the computers.

Wow! Hot buttered authoritarianism. Yum yum.

Nothing makes me feel safer than having my betters make me do what's good for me.

Do we need to spend billions of much needed dollars to go back to a dead rock in space called the Moon?. Its been done before. Is it really something we as a nation have to do again.? your thoughts. The money could be better spent here on Earth..

We are not going back to the moon.

Do not pay attention to ANY space plans, that stretch beyond the current Presidents term. Especially the more the big money spending is at the end of the plan.

I also wouldn’t trust my life to anything Microsoft develops.

We must stop spending billions on Mars rovers and forget about going to Mars. It is to far and to costly.There are people here on Earth that need those funds.!!

Do we need to spend billions of much needed dollars to go back to a dead rock in space called the Moon?. Its been done before. Is it really something we as a nation have to do again.? your thoughts. The money could be better spent here on Earth..
Hell no. Do you know what we can do to raise everyones standard of living with that amount of money?
As opposed to the tens of trillions of dollars already spent ?

......AND we will die of DEBT before we get to the future if we spend $$$$$ on the moon--SO--understand? no future if we spend it on the moon crap

Your thought process is always so elaborate and interesting.
----plain and simple--we are in HUGE debt----if you can't understand THAT, you do not need to be on this forum
Simple. Give significant tax breaks to companies that invest in space.

......AND we will die of DEBT before we get to the future if we spend $$$$$ on the moon--SO--understand? no future if we spend it on the moon crap

Your thought process is always so elaborate and interesting.
----plain and simple--we are in HUGE debt----if you can't understand THAT, you do not need to be on this forum
Simple. Give significant tax breaks to companies that invest in space.
we need that $$$$$$ here!!! the US is dying in debt ...people have lost jobs/homes/etc ......
..instead of foreign aid and space, they need an emergency fund for stuff likeTexas/C19/Hurricanes/etc

I believe NASA is fast tracking the Lunar Gateway because of what we are typing here. The first two elements of the Gateway space station will be launched not by the SLS NASA rocket which is still not operational and expensive, but by Elon Musk's Falcon Heavy rocket. The space station will be a small one in a eliptical orbit around the moon. Orbiting close to the moon and as far away as 40,000 miles. It is possible if we do not land on the moon, we would send astronauts there for periods of time but not keep it permanently manned. That was the plan even if we landed on the moon. Once landing starts, then we most likely can not stop like with Apollo. And there comes the added costs.

Forum List

Back