Do we fart more as we get older?

lol at this thread!!!! I love it when threads make me..well..laugh. And hopefully not hard enough to fart/poop!
Gracie, as you should know, women never fart, they get the vapors!

This is a serious question (sort of). After I passed 50 years of age, I've noticed a considerable increase in my flatulence. And I haven't really changed my diet that much. I've searched a few sites but haven't been able to get a definitive answer. So I'd appreciate any links that may give me a solid answer. I'll be waiting with bated breath.......
Can't give you a link, but I know I do. On the other hand, I don't think my wife does.

This is a serious question (sort of). After I passed 50 years of age, I've noticed a considerable increase in my flatulence. And I haven't really changed my diet that much. I've searched a few sites but haven't been able to get a definitive answer. So I'd appreciate any links that may give me a solid answer. I'll be waiting with bated breath.......
Stop eating grains and you will stop farting like a cow.

As you get older, your body changes in many different ways, and one of them is the bacteria in your bowels. When you are younger, you are able to digest the food better and your body can handle lots of different things without too much trouble.

As you get older, the bacteria change or grow weaker, resulting in your digestion not being what it was when you were 20, meaning that you produce more gas, and fart more as a result.

And, another interesting change is that your taste buds grow weaker and fewer, resulting in you changing what you like to eat.
Thank you. This makes a lot of sense.

I knew a 40 years old man who's farts never smelled.

The sound of his farts were to be heard from office to office. He became a car salesman later on.

In the meetings in our job, he always released his famous farts, everybody looking at him smiling, and him with his eyes just paying attention to the orator of the day. Nobody ever became upset because him, because no bad odor was ever felt from his farts. Sometimes I thought he used a filter in his underwear, but I swear I never tried to confirm my doubts.

The sound of his farts were to be heard from office to office. He became a car salesman later on.

In the meetings in our job, he always released his famous farts, everybody looking at him smiling, and him with his eyes just paying attention to the orator of the day. Nobody ever became upset because him, because no bad odor was ever felt from his farts. Sometimes I thought he used a filter in his underwear, but I swear I never tried to confirm my doubts.
Farts that never smelled? Now THAT'S a trick I wish I could pull off!

Some of my farts have been known to kill flowers, plants and occasionally, small livestock. So I'd REALLY like to find about this guy's secret...............

Some of my farts have been known to kill flowers, plants and occasionally, small livestock. So I'd REALLY like to find about this guy's secret...............
You're eating Roundup Ready beans from Monsanto ?

My experience is less - for sure not more. Something is wrong. Did you use antibiotica? Perhaps your intestinal microbiom suffers a lack of biodiversity. And I heard your foodstuff in the USA is not very substantial. Try to avoid fast food - eat slow and eat nurturing food (with substance and not with empty energy) - try to avoid in general to much fat and to much sugar (specially fat and sugar of a minor quality) and eat variedly.

Last edited:
Farts are natural as you get older. When you start shitting your pants then you need to worry. Remember neva eva trust a fart past 60.
After 60+ years of farting, one should be practiced enough to know the difference between wet and dry
One would think, but the internal signals start getting mixed up a bit. Sometimes it feels like gas when its not.

I dont take chances any more and go to a bathroom if I can.

One shart heard around the world is enough, isnt it?

Eric Swalwell Nuked MSNBC With a Massive Fart...All on Live TV

Like the brass section of the New York Philharmonic playing Aaron Copeland.

When I was a young engineer there was this old crusty codger that was always trying to be a wise guy. There were 3 of us in his cubicle talking about a new employee rule. The old guy says "You know what I think of that rule? This!" He then tried to fart but did a hershey squirt instead. The look on his face was priceless! :21:
On my first ship, it was kind of a tradition the day after we pulled into a foreign port to have a fart contest. Points were awarded for the loudest, and smelliest, as well as which has the longer hang time.
There were some of us that would go out the night we pulled in and feast on a diet of pickled eggs and beer. Made for some of the best farts.
I was working late one night back in the mid 90s and our computer section was up on a platform, fairly standard today, but back then it was kind of new and not nearly so stable as the ones they make today.
The lights were all out, but all the desk tops still on, with screen savers set to a black background...a company policy.
I had been having gas all day after having a couple of slices of pizza with celantro, and was going to ease one out since I was all by myself, but there were a couple of guys in the data entry room next door.
There seemed some resistance for some reason, so I squeezed a bit more and BOOM, I let out the biggest fart I think I have ever fired off in my life, before or since then.
I knocked out all the screen savers in the room, and the two data entry guys came in asking what was that and was I all right?
Apparently the higher flooring had caused some kind of acoustical effect and it did not sound like a fart to them, but was deeper in tone.
Not wanting to attract further attention I said I thought it came from down the hall. They ran out.
Then I became aware of the horrid smell that had not yet spread out so much and I took a magazine and began waving it around to disperse the 'atmospherics'.

I was done before they got back, talking between them about what it could have been.

Felt like I dodged a bullet and decided to call it a night and went home before more questions could be asked. And no, I had no physical evidence of my eruption. It was all gas.

I dont eat celantra any more after that.

Forum List

Back