Do Violent Video Games Create Over Aggressive People?

"The conclusion of the public health community, based on over 30 years of research, is that viewing entertainment violence can lead to increases in aggressive attitudes, values and behavior, particularly in children. "
Here's a quote sraight from the report, you don't get any more concrete than that.

I thought it was because we taught tolerance for gays in school?

Brian, where is the evidence?

Thanks. They don't give any evidence. From what I've read, most shrinks don't give a causal link, just a correlation. I'm not believing this one with out some concrete proof.

Thats exactly it...

I remember the good ole days when MK2 had to GREY out the blood... as if seeing raiden kick the shit out of lui kang was going to make kids, a volatile age group anyway, learn to fight.

If anything, video games have given the newer generations unmatched hand/eye coordination, practice in reaction, cognition and logic, and hobbies that don't involve robbing liqueur stores.

You keep looking at the links then, and I'll keep posting them.

I'll give it to you that the percentage of kids that play video games and do not commit crimes is higher than those that do. But the issue isn't the percentage of kids that don't commit violent crimes. It's whether the percentage of kids that do, are more agressive do to violent video games.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051012082710.htm

here's some concrete evidence for you Ravir. If a brain-scan isn't concrete, I don't know what is. Make sure you read it in it's entirety, don't just stop where it says casual-link and think that you're right.

Experts in the field are smarter than experts of a message forum

Yeah, it also gives them hand-eye cordination to put eight shots in to eight different kids,(5 head shots, and 3 upper torso)--the first time he fired a gun was the day before and he only shot two magazines.

THis isn't about hand-eye cordination.

are they going to say CASUAL or CAUSAL? There is a big difference.

I'll give it to you that the percentage of kids that play video games and do not commit crimes is higher than those that do. But the issue isn't the percentage of kids that don't commit violent crimes. It's whether the percentage of kids that do, are more agressive do to violent video games.

If that is the case then you might as well stop right there. I don't believe in limiting the liberty of the population for the sake of a tiny sample. And, if the majority population do not reflect the behaviour of the minority then it is quite unreasonable to suggest a CAUSAL relationship.

A Michigan State University researcher and his colleagues have shown that playing violent video games leads to brain activity pattern that may be characteristic for aggressive thoughts.

your link.

here's some concrete evidence for you Ravir. If a brain-scan isn't concrete, I don't know what is. Make sure you read it in it's entirety, don't just stop where it says casual-link and think that you're right.

a brain scan of what MAY BE characteristics of aggressive thought?

You do realize that the APA is not infallable, right? There is a reason psych is a soft science. Can you guess why?

Yeah, it also gives them hand-eye cordination to put eight shots in to eight different kids,(5 head shots, and 3 upper torso)--the first time he fired a gun was the day before and he only shot two magazines.

THis isn't about hand-eye cordination.

Agian, have you proven that video games are what causes school shootings? Seems to me that the video game playing POPULATION says otherwise.

No body on this board has mentioning banning video games, read a little harder...

So let me get this straight, Shogun's the only one on the board that can use science as proof? You used the bible (which you claim as invalid) as proof that Moses used a hallucinating drug make annointing oil. Why is this evidence for you and no one else?

As far as the Michigan State Univ. quote. You need to learn to read the entire source before jumping to your retarded conclusions. You may have read the sentence where it says, "there is a link." But I'm sure that's not good enough for you.

I'll tell you about psych science; it's researchers know a hell of a lot more about the brain and how it functions than you or ravir. You can deny the most conlcusive and up to date "evidence" that there is, it just shows how once again, your ability to throw valid material away and attempt to lead a discussion by the seat of your pants.

If you're trying to convince me that you're more intelligent in the field of human aggression and psychology than someone with 20 years experience, and several associations with over 30 years experience and study, you've got some convincing to get started on.

If I actually thought finding more would change your mind, I'd find some more, but now that Shogun's here, the thread is worthless, cause from here on out, words will be placed where they were never typed, stuff will be brought up that has nothing to do with the topic, (Like banning video games?) Total misread of the post.

If I have a little more time today, I may find more to make you look as ignorant as you percieve to be.

Playing violent video games lights up that portion of the brain while playing violent video games.

Why does that surprise you?

No body on this board has mentioning banning video games, read a little harder...

So let me get this straight, Shogun's the only one on the board that can use science as proof? You used the bible (which you claim as invalid) as proof that Moses used a hallucinating drug make annointing oil. Why is this evidence for you and no one else?

As far as the Michigan State Univ. quote. You need to learn to read the entire source before jumping to your retarded conclusions. You may have read the sentence where it says, "there is a link." But I'm sure that's not good enough for you.

I'll tell you about psych science; it's researchers know a hell of a lot more about the brain and how it functions than you or ravir. You can deny the most conlcusive and up to date "evidence" that there is, it just shows how once again, your ability to throw valid material away and attempt to lead a discussion by the seat of your pants.

If you're trying to convince me that you're more intelligent in the field of human aggression and psychology than someone with 20 years experience, and several associations with over 30 years experience and study, you've got some convincing to get started on.

If I actually thought finding more would change your mind, I'd find some more, but now that Shogun's here, the thread is worthless, cause from here on out, words will be placed where they were never typed, stuff will be brought up that has nothing to do with the topic, (Like banning video games?) Total misread of the post.

If I have a little more time today, I may find more to make you look as ignorant as you percieve to be.

Brian, no offense, but who are you talking to in this post, Shogun or me? My brain's lighting up like I'm playing Resident Evil or something. Good thing you're way the hell over in Texas.

:razz:

LOL...mostly Shogun I'm talking to, cause he's known for that.

I can understand you're position for not having "EXACT" concrete evidence, but if that's what you're looking for, it will never happen.

The most people can do, is reasearch as much as possible (which has been done), and add it to years and years experience to get something.

If video game did not influence the individual in any way, then the military would not use them to train their soldiers. And if video games can affect that aspect, it can affect others.

For serial killers, They've pinned brain activity and development (based on brain scans) specifically to an area of the brain that controls aggression.

It's the same concept here.

Um, they use them to hone their reflexes, correct? Makes perfect sense. Do you know it's also said you can become a better driver if you play car chase video games?

Just because a part of your brain gets excited when you are playing a game doesn't mean it stays that way and you are going to go out and start killing people.

And yes, I do require some evidence. Some evidence AT ALL. You haven't given me any.

Ok, no one is saying that their brain stays that way where ever they go. When you excercise your biceps, they get more efficient at what they do. WHen you react aggressivle, you become more efficient at it.

A cop wants to practice disarming a suspect, so he has his wife and his parter practice drawing a weapon on him. He quickly disarms them, hands the weapon back, and does the exercise again. He does this for weeks. One day he's faced with an armed suspect in a convenient store, he disarms the suspect quickly, then hands the gun back.---you practice like you play.

Like I said before, several school shooters only intended to kill one person, girlfriend, teacher, bully, etc... when that one person was dead, why didn't they stop? The "training" in their brain said to keep shooting. There are no friends in a violent video games, just target after target.

About the driving (Don't stray from the point---I never said all video games were bad, and I never said all people who play violent video games are going to commit crimes, I never mentioned banning video games) I even stated that I enjoy video games.) And---exactly if video games can affect you positively, they can affect you negatively as well.

--Is it coincidence that the majority of all young mass killers have a history of violent video game play?

--Is it coincidence that the majority of all young mass killers have a history of violent video game play?

That's the question. You haven't shown that it is...and I gave you a post that showed only 12% of them are violent video game players.

LOL...mostly Shogun I'm talking to, cause he's known for that.

I can understand you're position for not having "EXACT" concrete evidence, but if that's what you're looking for, it will never happen.

The most people can do, is reasearch as much as possible (which has been done), and add it to years and years experience to get something.

If video game did not influence the individual in any way, then the military would not use them to train their soldiers. And if video games can affect that aspect, it can affect others.

For serial killers, They've pinned brain activity and development (based on brain scans) specifically to an area of the brain that controls aggression.

It's the same concept here.

um, I didn't say a damn thing about banning anything... use your Search feature on your browser.

And no, I'm not looking for EXACT concrete evidence, whatever that is, im looking for more than some amusing hype that is to this decade what Geraldo's child abuse saga was in the 80s, what Rona Jaffe and Pat pulling were to D&D, what Tipper Gore was to Judas Priest was to previous decades.

Again, there is a casual relationship between legal alcohol and drunk driving... do you want to go on the record and claim that legal alcohol CAUSES drunk driving? If not, then what is the missing third variable at play? Could it be the same third variable that makes the POPULATION of video game players, and alcohol consumers, thumb their noses as the scapegoat theory du jour?

YEARS of experience? In phych that doesn't mean much. 20 years ago the DSM3 listed homosexuality as a disorder. Again, wanna guess on why psych is a soft science?

Not to mention, that your "evidence" doesn't suggest a single thing about long term effects on the child playing MK2. Even if it IS true that games cause temporary aggression, like I stated earlier, team sports DON'T?

um, the military has tried to use psychics for spying so please don't give me the whole "if the military does it it must work" line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing

No, it's not the same concept or the authors of the study wouldn't have used the term MAY BE.

Hey, did you know that the Beatles White album was what Charles Manson thought was speaking to him and was the direct reason why the family murdered Sharon Tate? Now, I realize that millions and millions of people have listened to and enjoyed that album but.. you know... clearly, the majorty must be protected rather than pin murder on the few sick fucks who have OTHER problems to begin with.

Again, I never even mentioned the word Ban. I don't mind that you see me as a boogeyman, because I am certainly that, but at least try to keep the criticism applicable, eh?

So what makes your secret service quote more valuable than the hoard of things I've posted? So the U.S. secret service, not psychological experts are masters of psychology?

The OP stated :Do Violent Video Games Creat OVER AGRESSIVE PEOPLE.

I never stated that it was the cause of aggressiveness and that it was the only cause of aggressiveness.

In the study I posted, it said that naturally unaggressive children who play violent video games showed more agressiveness than naturally aggressive children who don't play them. Did they all of a sudden just decide to be agressive? Was their study incorrect...no, because it was a study that was conducted, and these were just a FEW of the results that were recorded.

So, when a cop wants to do some target practice... he plays duck hunt?

come on, dude. MILLIONS of game players worldwide, and their daily pattern of non-violence, suggest the same thing about games that we figured out about D&D and Heavy Metal.

Hey, did you know that the Beatles White album was what Charles Manson thought was speaking to him and was the direct reason why the family murdered Sharon Tate? Now, I realize that millions and millions of people have listened to and enjoyed that album but.. you know... clearly, the majorty must be protected rather than pin murder on the few sick fucks who have OTHER problems to begin with.

Shoot. I guess I can't let my kids hear it. Especially while playing video games.

In the study I posted, it said that naturally unaggressive children who play violent video games showed more agressiveness than naturally aggressive children who don't play them. Did they all of a sudden just decide to be agressive? Was their study incorrect...no, because it was a study that was conducted, and these were just a FEW of the results that were recorded.

um, so... how would you or your apa source define an "naturally aggressive child" again? Further, how do you know that such is not the result of earlier abusive stimuli predating video games? Not to mention the social environment of any given test subject....

So what makes your secret service quote more valuable than the hoard of things I've posted? So the U.S. secret service, not psychological experts are masters of psychology?

The OP stated :Do Violent Video Games Creat OVER AGRESSIVE PEOPLE.

I never stated that it was the cause of aggressiveness and that it was the only cause of aggressiveness.

I imagine the secret service is a little better at statistics. At least they had some basic evidence to back them up. The shrinks? Just speculation that I've seen so far.

Shoot. I guess I can't let my kids hear it. Especially while playing video games.

It's JUST LIKE Catcher in the Rye. Salinger didn't cause some sick fuck to kill Lennon any more than Lennon caused Manson's crew to kill Tate.

Next thing you know we'll be rehashing Ferlinghetti since, by extension, Howl causes homosexuality.

Forum List

Back