Do "Fossil Fuels" actually come from Fossils?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
Then why are there hydrocarbons on Titan, Corky?
im-not-saying-z4tlc3.jpg

Hint: The answer is No
There may be non-fossil sources but I suspect they are rare. Look at peat, bituminous, and anthracite coal and it seems obvious what their sources are.

In our lifetimes, they are non-renewable resources but they will never run out. What will run out are cheap means to extract them. We are in a race between technology (e.g., fracing, slant drilling, etc.) and cost. Eventually it will be too expensive to exploit them and we'll have already moved on.

There may be non-fossil sources but I suspect they are rare. Look at peat, bituminous, and anthracite coal and it seems obvious what their sources are.

In our lifetimes, they are non-renewable resources but they will never run out. What will run out are cheap means to extract them. We are in a race between technology (e.g., fracing, slant drilling, etc.) and cost. Eventually it will be too expensive to exploit them and we'll have already moved on.
Hopefully by the time they do run out the fusion power problem will have been solved.

Zaki Yamani said, "The stone age didn't end because they ran out of stones".

Fossil fuel Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com
Fossil fuel definition, any combustible organic material, as oil, coal, or natural gas, derived from the remains of former life. See more.

See? Just like Global Warming! Buying a "scientific" opinion does not make it true

"To prove that abiotic oil is possible, in 2002 Kutcherov superheated calcium carbonate, water and iron in a pressure chamber and then cranked it up to produce 30,000 times atmospheric pressure, simulating the conditions present in the earth's mantle. Sure enough, about 1.5% of the material converted into hydrocarbons, according to results in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Most of it was methane and other gases, but about 10% was heavier oil components."

Endless Oil?

See? Just like Global Warming! Buying a "scientific" opinion does not make it true

"To prove that abiotic oil is possible, in 2002 Kutcherov superheated calcium carbonate, water and iron in a pressure chamber and then cranked it up to produce 30,000 times atmospheric pressure, simulating the conditions present in the earth's mantle. Sure enough, about 1.5% of the material converted into hydrocarbons, according to results in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Most of it was methane and other gases, but about 10% was heavier oil components."

Endless Oil?

Fossils that are carbonized or coalified consist of the organic remains which have been reduced primarily to the chemical element carbon. Carbonized fossils consist of a thin film which forms a silhouette of the original organism, and the original organic remains were typically soft tissues.

Fossils that are carbonized or coalified consist of the organic remains which have been reduced primarily to the chemical element carbon. Carbonized fossils consist of a thin film which forms a silhouette of the original organism, and the original organic remains were typically soft tissues.

1635087355362.jpeg

^ Titan, no dinosaurs, but apparently lakes of "organic remains"

So? dinosaurs are certainly not the only source of crude oil.. Is that what you're arguing.. organic material?????

I'm not arguing anything, just pointing out that "fossil fuels" on planet Earth have nothing whatsoever to do with dead dinosaurs or long buried Jurassic forests

If oil is a renewable resource as you say, link us to an article where an empty oil well suddenly replenished itself. I’ll wait.
I see someone beat me to this, apparently you are the last one to board the bus

Forum List

Back