Zone1 Do Ducks Exist?

Well, on the other hand those Amish at least try to live up to their secluded beliefs as best as they can. I actually respect that.

They're funny people. They don't own cell phones or drive cars, but they won't hesitate to ask to borrow your phone, or ask you for a ride to town. I once saw a gaggle of Amish youths standing outside a convenience store smoking cigarettes too. True story.

They also smell pretty bad and their women are wormy-looking or they have a mustache thing going on. Thye Amish men will always try to jew you down if you have a garage sale, and they bid the guns up high at the auctions. BUt if you ever see a beat up old gun at an Amish yard sale, they always want too much for it.

But they do have some decent dent-and-bent grocery stores around here. You can get unexpired cans of red or white clam sauce for a dollar when they cost $3.65 at the supermarket.

Last edited:
I was around 8 years old when I somehow picked up the word -incest- so being very interested in religion (all these people shown wearing armor slaying dragons other people and etc, in those religious books) fascinated me. With honest intentions I asked that priest as to how incest figures into this Adam&Eve account - or Noah's Arc with just 6-7 people left.... that's when he tore out that picture - man was I disappointed.
Wondering as to why a priest wasn't able to answer such an important question, I decided from then on to study religion and other religions by myself. To research upon Christianity wasn't difficult due to my uncle being a Bishop and a cousin of mine being a priest.
It is amazing a priest couldn't answer such a simple question. We were offered a couple of possibilities. One reason is that today the reason incest is forbidden is because of possible birth defects and other disease that occurs when there are too many recessive genes involved. (The illustration we were given was hemophilia in royal families.) It was thought that Adam and Eve (before sin) had perfect genetics and that for awhile, perfect genetics continued in their descendants so there was no reason for brothers and sisters not to marry.

The other explanation is the one I favored. This one said that whoever first told the story of Adam and Eve reduced an entire tribe of mankind to two individuals (for the sake of story simplicity). Cain and Abel were large tribes in and of themselves that had separated from the original tribe of Adam.

An eight-year-old (never mind the priest) could have understood either possibility. After these explanations a great question to the children would have been, "Can any of you think of any other possibility?"

To take away a child's picture because the priest was stumped....that's sad.

I wouldn't refer to them as Catholic or any other religious philosophies or ethics - but as general common sense behavior due to analyzing existing diverse societies with all their bad and good parts.
Some, of course, but it goes back to when/where you first learned them. I was curious as to what you kept as true and what you dismissed.

It could also be that God is smarter than a duck, and wishes for his children to walk by faith. He hides himself so that we learn to walk by faith and learn to choose to do good in and of ourselves and not strictly rely on pure knowledge of God to determine our actions. We are to learn good from evil and choose of our own volition whether to follow after good or follow after evil. Mortal life is a test to see if we, in and of ourselves will choose good over evil. However, God has not left us without knowledge of himself. He has appeared unto many and spoken face to face with some. We have their witness. He also has come among us and taught us his gospel. We have a history of this. His teachings of goodness are among us. He has promised that he will soon come again and reveal himself unto us and dwell among us. That is sufficient for me.

This is an invitation to an argument. It isn't an argument at all.

Well, I don't feel like delving into this worn out subject yet again, so all I will say here is that your OP begins with a fallacy for a premise, so, that leaves no way to logically argue to a valid conclusion. Basically, the premise of your OP is structured to DENY the existence of God, so, isn't really worth pursuing any farther. since its very nature is biased at the start.

I started with seeking the very thing you are so certain is "made up". I discovered God Is. And so amazing.

The problem here is that you "discovered God Is" doesn't mean God exists.

Some things exist because humans exist. If humans die out, these things would cease to exist.

Take philosophy. It exists only because we say it exists.

Some things exist because humans exist. If humans die out, these things would cease to exist.

Take philosophy. It exists only because we say it exists.
I invented the Scotch Yoke and Bourke Engine in my youth. Unfortunately, they were both patented like back in the 1800's, so I really just discovered how to lose money paying lawyers to chase after egocentric fantasies.

450px-Yugo_Escoc%C3%A9s_-_Scotch_yoke_animation.gif

330px-Bourke_-_two_stroke_-_four_cylinder.gif

They're funny people. They don't own cell phones or drive cars, but they won't hesitate to ask to borrow your phone, or ask you for a ride to town. I once saw a gaggle of Amish youths standing outside a convenience store smoking cigarettes too. True story.

They also smell pretty bad and their women are wormy-looking or they have a mustache thing going on. Thye Amish men will always try to jew you down if you have a garage sale, and they bid the guns up high at the auctions. BUt if you ever see a beat up old gun at an Amish yard sale, they always want too much for it.

But they do have some decent dent-and-bent grocery stores around here. You can get unexpired cans of red or white clam sauce for a dollar when they cost $3.65 at the supermarket.
No matter what religion or believe - people are still humans and humans ain't perfect.
And that in turn is the actual failure/misconception in regards to all religious groups - thriving to create the perfect human - which IMO is an impossible task.

The duck however ......

It is amazing a priest couldn't answer such a simple question. We were offered a couple of possibilities. One reason is that today the reason incest is forbidden is because of possible birth defects and other disease that occurs when there are too many recessive genes involved. (The illustration we were given was hemophilia in royal families.) It was thought that Adam and Eve (before sin) had perfect genetics and that for awhile, perfect genetics continued in their descendants so there was no reason for brothers and sisters not to marry.
Wow - you are bringing in a scientific explanation/reasoning in regards to Religious teachings. That's extremely contradictory.
The other explanation is the one I favored. This one said that whoever first told the story of Adam and Eve reduced an entire tribe of mankind to two individuals (for the sake of story simplicity). Cain and Abel were large tribes in and of themselves that had separated from the original tribe of Adam.
Nowhere in the Bible is that stated - trying to rewrite or to add personal interpretations towards the holy book is heresy - and you will go to hell for it.
An eight-year-old (never mind the priest) could have understood either possibility. After these explanations a great question to the children would have been, "Can any of you think of any other possibility?"
Religion is not up for debate amongst non-theologians (Theologians sanctioned exclusively by the Holy Roman Church) Protestant or any other Christian religious side-groups are going to hell - the first and therefore only true Christian religion is that of Rome (Paul) aka Holy Roman Church.
To take away a child's picture because the priest was stumped....that's sad.
No - he was a fervent priest (true believer) who stuck to the 2000 years of faulty indoctrination by his religious group.

That the Christians just as the Muslim groups have and are constantly altering their former teachings is known (due to scientific objections and questionings) - as such they ALL discriminate their own original teachings and holy books.
AFAIK Hindus and Buddhists have not altered or "modernized" their original teachings !!

I testify to His existence. Absolutely, you and anyone else is free to ignore my testimony and the testimony of others. Not believing testimony does not eliminate God--it merely dismisses the testimony.

Forum List

Back