Do any of you old guys (over 50) lift weights? If so what is your routine?

Drive distance comes from rotational force and the legs. Squats lunges and core training would be more effective for your purpose. Do not quit doing what you are doing total body focus is always good. Also spend a good amount of time stretching. I no longer give lessons but back when I did I noticed guys your age were taking three quarter back swings due to loss of range of motion. Video tape your back swing . High likelihood you no longer have a full one.
Agreed on all of that. I didn't mention I also do stretching and do the 'ab ripper' 15 minute routine for core. Yes I've definitely lost shoulder turn, I used to wind up like John Daly when I was young now I barely get to parallel. I have added about 5 yards to my drives and iron distances since lifting and doing core.
Good. Really concentrate on getting that full range of motion back Really important. If you have to stretch in high heat high humidity area until n
Drive distance comes from rotational force and the legs. Squats lunges and core training would be more effective for your purpose. Do not quit doing what you are doing total body focus is always good. Also spend a good amount of time stretching. I no longer give lessons but back when I did I noticed guys your age were taking three quarter back swings due to loss of range of motion. Video tape your back swing . High likelihood you no longer have a full one.
Agreed on all of that. I didn't mention I also do stretching and do the 'ab ripper' 15 minute routine for core. Yes I've definitely lost shoulder turn, I used to wind up like John Daly when I was young now I barely get to parallel. I have added about 5 yards to my drives and iron distances since lifting and doing core.
Here are some good exercises to create hi explosion.

You also may want to experiment with a more pliable shaft or less stiff shaft for the driver. I still have to use a very stiff shaft even though my swing speed dropped from 130 mph to 122. The day is coming soon where I will be switching shaft though.

Last edited:
I'm curious because I started lifting a few months ago and I am well over 60. I have a lifting rack in my house so I don't have to go to a gym. What I like is that it doesn't take long and I do feel like I'm getting stronger. I keep to what I can comfortably do, I don't feel like I'm straining. I'm not trying to body build, just trying to keep it together and add a few yards to my drives. FWIW this is what I do 3 times a week. I'm 205 lbs:

dumbbell curls 15 lbs 2x25 rep
bench 135 lbs 6x6 rep
dead lift 185 lbs 3x5 rep
rows 65 lbs 2x10 rep

That's an impressive deadlift for your age, man! Good job! I'm not yet 50, but I had to lay off deadlifting after I broke my back in a motorcycle accident. Thankfully, I can still do lots of other lifts.

Good. Really concentrate on getting that full range of motion back Really important. If you have to stretch in high heat high humidity area until n

You also may want to experiment with a more pliable shaft or less stiff shaft for the driver. I still have to use a very stiff shaft even though my swing speed dropped from 130 mph to 122. The day is coming soon where I will be switching shaft though.
My club head speed is hanging in there. I top out at 110 and I can still play the tips. Hopefully I can hold off the dreaded senior shaft for a few more years.

I'm curious because I started lifting a few months ago and I am well over 60. I have a lifting rack in my house so I don't have to go to a gym. What I like is that it doesn't take long and I do feel like I'm getting stronger. I keep to what I can comfortably do, I don't feel like I'm straining. I'm not trying to body build, just trying to keep it together and add a few yards to my drives. FWIW this is what I do 3 times a week. I'm 205 lbs:

dumbbell curls 15 lbs 2x25 rep
bench 135 lbs 6x6 rep
dead lift 185 lbs 3x5 rep
rows 65 lbs 2x10 rep

That's an impressive deadlift for your age, man! Good job! I'm not yet 50, but I had to lay off deadlifting after I broke my back in a motorcycle accident. Thankfully, I can still do lots of other lifts.
Thanks, sorry to hear about your back, yikes!

My club head speed is hanging in there. I top out at 110 and I can still play the tips. Hopefully I can hold off the dreaded senior shaft for a few more years.
Shaft stiffness isn’t only about speed it’s also about trajectory. Stiffer shafts produce lower ball flights, but it’s really all about what feels good. Too many people get caught up playing equipment for the brand name and who not what is actually suited for their game

110 club head speed is impressive

There is something that happens to you mentally as age progresses. I took a hit when my rotater cuff went and baseball was over for me. That's when I took up golf. Now I can no longer compete with the young guys in competition and am having to adjust my golf game as well as my bowling game. I have had to go from a cranker to a stroker in bowling. I find myself now fishing alot more. I can keep up with the young pups in that still. Once I get my fishing charter business going good I will start tournament fishing hopefully I can continue to keep pro status in one sport or another for a few more years.

Shaft stiffness isn’t only about speed it’s also about trajectory. Stiffer shafts produce lower ball flights, but it’s really all about what feels good. Too many people get caught up playing equipment for the brand name and who not what is actually suited for their game

I agree equipment can help but you still have to make the shots. The equipment must suite your needs. I also find it is easier to sucker people into a skins game carrying look alike as opposed to brand names. I never skimp on my ball though. I am a Titleist guy my self.

I agree equipment can help but you still have to make the shots. The equipment must suite your needs. I also find it is easier to sucker people into a skins game carrying look alike as opposed to brand names. I never skimp on my ball though. I am a Titleist guy my self.
I’ve been playing Mizuno T zoids for years and nothing beats the sweet spot on a Miz but I have been looking hard at the new Titleist T series. It’s between those and Homna set I just demoed. Picked up the epic driver and 3 wood two years ago and love them both

Picked up the epic driver and 3 wood two years ago and love them both
I've got the epic driver also and it's great! Definite +15 yards and no loss of accuracy over a year. I'm going to demo the epic 3 wood because there's such a big difference now between my driver and 3 wood distance.

I’ve been playing Mizuno T zoids for years and nothing beats the sweet spot on a Miz but I have been looking hard at the new Titleist T series. It’s between those and Homna set I just demoed. Picked up the epic driver and 3 wood two years ago and love them both
I'd be curious to what irons you go with. I've been playing P790s for a year and I don't like them. I hit them solid but they are a bit hot and I end up going long a lot of times on good shots.

I'd be curious to what irons you go with. I've been playing P790s for a year and I don't like them. I hit them solid but they are a bit hot and I end up going long a lot of times on good shots.

BLACK DOTS LONGEST THEY MAKE

I have some DTX irons that are pretty much a look alike to those Taylor mades. I think I had about a 225 in them I use when I wanna hustle or when my son goes along he will carry them.

Last edited:

My dad carries these.

He is 78 years old still hit them 230 to 250.

My dad carries these.

He is 78 years old still hit them 230 to 250.
On his drive. Not sure what driver he uses. I will ask him though.

Pops uses a Taylor made burner for his driver. Graphite shaft. He is in late 70s still hits it 230 to 250.

Pops uses a Taylor made burner for his driver. Graphite shaft. He is in late 70s still hits it 230 to 250.
Good info! We have some colder weather coming in so I'll be in demo mode later this week.

Picked up the epic driver and 3 wood two years ago and love them both
I've got the epic driver also and it's great! Definite +15 yards and no loss of accuracy over a year. I'm going to demo the epic 3 wood because there's such a big difference now between my driver and 3 wood distance.
The epic 3 is my favorite club, I parked my driver last year because it was getting wild and just used the 3. Was hitting it 250+ off the tee like it was nothing. Well worth having it in your bag

I tried out the p790s and thought the same. The Titleist T200s had a good feel for a player distance iron that had decent control. What’s your handicap?

I tried out the p790s and thought the same. The Titleist T200s had a good feel for a player distance iron that had decent control. What’s your handicap?
Taylormades can run hot. My buddy just picked up the M2 irons... new set for $499 at PGA store. Great deal. But I was cranking the 7 iron over 200 yards which is 30 yards further than I hit my 7 with the mizunos.... way to hot for me but good for distance if youre looking for it

Forum List

Back