Do any of you old guys (over 50) lift weights? If so what is your routine?

Drive distance comes from rotational force and the legs. Squats lunges and core training would be more effective for your purpose. Do not quit doing what you are doing total body focus is always good. Also spend a good amount of time stretching. I no longer give lessons but back when I did I noticed guys your age were taking three quarter back swings due to loss of range of motion. Video tape your back swing . High likelihood you no longer have a full one.
Agreed on all of that. I didn't mention I also do stretching and do the 'ab ripper' 15 minute routine for core. Yes I've definitely lost shoulder turn, I used to wind up like John Daly when I was young now I barely get to parallel. I have added about 5 yards to my drives and iron distances since lifting and doing core.
Good. Really concentrate on getting that full range of motion back Really important. If you have to stretch in high heat high humidity area until n
Drive distance comes from rotational force and the legs. Squats lunges and core training would be more effective for your purpose. Do not quit doing what you are doing total body focus is always good. Also spend a good amount of time stretching. I no longer give lessons but back when I did I noticed guys your age were taking three quarter back swings due to loss of range of motion. Video tape your back swing . High likelihood you no longer have a full one.
Agreed on all of that. I didn't mention I also do stretching and do the 'ab ripper' 15 minute routine for core. Yes I've definitely lost shoulder turn, I used to wind up like John Daly when I was young now I barely get to parallel. I have added about 5 yards to my drives and iron distances since lifting and doing core.
Here are some good exercises to create hi explosion.

You also may want to experiment with a more pliable shaft or less stiff shaft for the driver. I still have to use a very stiff shaft even though my swing speed dropped from 130 mph to 122. The day is coming soon where I will be switching shaft though.
My club head speed is hanging in there. I top out at 110 and I can still play the tips. Hopefully I can hold off the dreaded senior shaft for a few more years.
Shaft stiffness isnā€™t only about speed itā€™s also about trajectory. Stiffer shafts produce lower ball flights, but itā€™s really all about what feels good. Too many people get caught up playing equipment for the brand name and who not what is actually suited for their game

110 club head speed is impressive
I agree equipment can help but you still have to make the shots. The equipment must suite your needs. I also find it is easier to sucker people into a skins game carrying look alike as opposed to brand names. I never skimp on my ball though. I am a Titleist guy my self.
Iā€™ve been playing Mizuno T zoids for years and nothing beats the sweet spot on a Miz but I have been looking hard at the new Titleist T series. Itā€™s between those and Homna set I just demoed. Picked up the epic driver and 3 wood two years ago and love them both
I'd be curious to what irons you go with. I've been playing P790s for a year and I don't like them. I hit them solid but they are a bit hot and I end up going long a lot of times on good shots.
I tried out the p790s and thought the same. The Titleist T200s had a good feel for a player distance iron that had decent control. Whatā€™s your handicap?
I'm a 6. I think part of my problem is I did get physically stronger over the last year so what I'm seeing with the P790s is a wider dispersion of "good shots". It's frustrating to flush an iron and have a 30 footer putt instead of a 10 foot putt.

Good. Really concentrate on getting that full range of motion back Really important. If you have to stretch in high heat high humidity area until n

You also may want to experiment with a more pliable shaft or less stiff shaft for the driver. I still have to use a very stiff shaft even though my swing speed dropped from 130 mph to 122. The day is coming soon where I will be switching shaft though.
My club head speed is hanging in there. I top out at 110 and I can still play the tips. Hopefully I can hold off the dreaded senior shaft for a few more years.
Shaft stiffness isnā€™t only about speed itā€™s also about trajectory. Stiffer shafts produce lower ball flights, but itā€™s really all about what feels good. Too many people get caught up playing equipment for the brand name and who not what is actually suited for their game

I agree equipment can help but you still have to make the shots. The equipment must suite your needs. I also find it is easier to sucker people into a skins game carrying look alike as opposed to brand names. I never skimp on my ball though. I am a Titleist guy my self.
Iā€™ve been playing Mizuno T zoids for years and nothing beats the sweet spot on a Miz but I have been looking hard at the new Titleist T series. Itā€™s between those and Homna set I just demoed. Picked up the epic driver and 3 wood two years ago and love them both
I'd be curious to what irons you go with. I've been playing P790s for a year and I don't like them. I hit them solid but they are a bit hot and I end up going long a lot of times on good shots.
I tried out the p790s and thought the same. The Titleist T200s had a good feel for a player distance iron that had decent control. Whatā€™s your handicap?
I'm a 6. I think part of my problem is I did get physically stronger over the last year so what I'm seeing with the P790s is a wider dispersion of "good shots". It's frustrating to flush an iron and have a 30 footer putt instead of a 10 foot putt.
yeah at a 6 you donā€™t need a hot club for distance you need consistency and control. Check the Titleist T100s maybe mix with some 200s for the long irons. The Homnas Iā€™m looking at are the TR20s. They were pretty sweet as well. But Iā€™m an 11 looking for more consistency

yeah at a 6 you donā€™t need a hot club for distance you need consistency and control. Check the Titleist T100s maybe mix with some 200s for the long irons. The Homnas Iā€™m looking at are the TR20s. They were pretty sweet as well. But Iā€™m an 11 looking for more consistency
Homnas huh. I'll give them a swing too thanks!

Homnas are top notch. Get ur boy Trump to pick up this set for ya :)

Golf clubs? Talk about a tangent.

I am 71, and have been doing fitness stuff seriously since I was 25.

Over the years my body has forced me to stop or scale back on running, tennis, and a few other things. I continue to ride a bike, bowl, lift weights, and hike.

I work out just about every day, generally as follows.

One workout includes stretching, some body-weight stuff, and a 20 minute "interval" workout. This workout involves six 80 second intervals of increasing intensity. By the end of the last interval, by heart rate is around 130 (resting is 42-45).

One workout is more weight-oriented, including assisted pull-ups (gravitron) and machine-chest presses, push-ups, curls, upright rows, military press, etc. Due to various joint issues, I cannot lift any heavy weights, maxing out at 50 lb dumbells. When I finish this workout I do 50 floors on a Stairmaster stepper, which takes 17-18 minutes.

Replacing my runs, I walk my neighborhood which is extremely hilly. The 3.25 miles takes a little over an hour.

I do one of these routines every day. I also take a nap every afternoon, which is just as important to me.

Homnas are top notch. Get ur boy Trump to pick up this set for ya :)

Stimulus check for the win!

Over the years my body has forced me to stop or scale back on running, tennis, and a few other things. I continue to ride a bike, bowl, lift weights, and hike.

One workout includes stretching, some body-weight stuff, and a 20 minute "interval" workout. This workout involves six 80 second intervals of increasing intensity. By the end of the last interval, by heart rate is around 130 (resting is 42-45).

One workout is more weight-oriented, including assisted pull-ups (gravitron) and machine-chest presses, push-ups, curls, upright rows, military press, etc. Due to various joint issues, I cannot lift any heavy weights, maxing out at 50 lb dumbells. When I finish this workout I do 50 floors on a Stairmaster stepper, which takes 17-18 minutes.

Replacing my runs, I walk my neighborhood which is extremely hilly. The 3.25 miles takes a little over an hour.

I do one of these routines every day. I also take a nap every afternoon, which is just as important to me.
Lol yeah my bad. I happened to mention I was lifting weights to gain strength and add a few yards to my drives and......here we are! Nice workout routine. You definitely do more than me.

Lol yeah my bad. I happened to mention I was lifting weights to gain strength and add a few yards to my drives and......here we are! Nice workout routine. You definitely do more than me.
Yeah yeah yeah... back to golf now. Whatā€™s your favorite course?

Mike Mentzer. Heavy Duty.
I just do pullups and pushups these years. Pushups are fast.Drop and do 15-20 every couple hours. Takes seconds. Adds up quick. I do pullups in my shop.10 or so 3-4 times a day. Makes a big difference. Plus lifting all this steel crap I build is a form of "dead lifts"
View attachment 451542
Interesting, are those girder beams you welded together?

I'm curious because I started lifting a few months ago and I am well over 60. I have a lifting rack in my house so I don't have to go to a gym. What I like is that it doesn't take long and I do feel like I'm getting stronger. I keep to what I can comfortably do, I don't feel like I'm straining. I'm not trying to body build, just trying to keep it together and add a few yards to my drives. FWIW this is what I do 3 times a week. I'm 205 lbs:

dumbbell curls 15 lbs 2x25 rep
bench 135 lbs 6x6 rep
dead lift 185 lbs 3x5 rep
rows 65 lbs 2x10 rep

Yep - I'm 63 and have a personal trainer that I really trust coming to my home. Since all the gyms in Oregon are closed half the time, I invested in a Bosu Ball, yoga mat for planks, etc, a set of resistance bands and a set of Ativafit DialTech Elite dumbbells that go from about 10 to 70 pounds and take up very little space.

Found them on Amazon Prime with free delivery which was a bigly bonus. These are HARD to find. Took me two months of digging and finally got an email and grabbed the last set they had. People are snatching these things up and selling them for 2-3 times retail so ya gotta be quick!

My workouts vary (don't get in the habit of the same workout every time) and I do 3-4 times a week. Here is the workout I got for today via email (TrueCoach app) just to give you an idea. They are completely different each time. My gal comes twice a week.

I'm on a weight loss (low carb with increased exercise) regimen right now as I need to lose about 20 pounds to be ready for the beach this summer (COVID pounds suck ;-)

~~~~~~~~~

Hey DrLove,

Upper Body

Warmup:

Warmup
Perform each exercise for 1 min
Rest 1 min in between sets
Repeat 3-4x
Use very light weight for warmup (like 5lbs)

Arm Circles
Front to Lateral shoulder raises (very light weight 5lbs)
Banded pull aparts
Seated DB Shoulder press (very light weight 5lbs)

A) Dumbbell Thruster

15lbs
12-15 reps

B) Cross body bicep curl

15-20lbs
12-15 reps

C) Standing Around the Worlds

5-10lbs (keep it light)
12-15 reps

D) Bent Over KB Row

15-20lbs use DBs instead of KBs
12-15 reps per side

E) Lying Chest Press

30-40lbs
12-15 reps

F) Floor tricep dip

bodyweight
12-15 reps

Cooldown:
Bosu balance cool down

Bosu Squats
Bosu Deadlfts
Bosu Step ups
Bosu glute bridge
Side lunge on Bosu Ball
That's next level. I might incorporate some of that thanks.

I'm curious because I started lifting a few months ago and I am well over 60. I have a lifting rack in my house so I don't have to go to a gym. What I like is that it doesn't take long and I do feel like I'm getting stronger. I keep to what I can comfortably do, I don't feel like I'm straining. I'm not trying to body build, just trying to keep it together and add a few yards to my drives. FWIW this is what I do 3 times a week. I'm 205 lbs:

bench 135 lbs 6x6 rep
rows 65 lbs 2x10 rep
Don't lift heavy and you'll be fine, Mike. I'm 65 and have been lifting for the better part of fifty years. I don't do squats because my knees don't like them. I don't do flys because my left shoulder can't handle those. I'm not sure why you're doing six sets of bench presses? Do two sets with lower weights and more reps. Much less stress on your body.

As for adding yards to your drives? I teach golf down here in Florida and all the old guys want more distance! You'll add some distance getting stronger but to be honest the reason most people lose distance as they age is that they lose range of motion. If you really want to bang it off the tee do stretches to get your flexibility back. I can still get it out there 265 on average. It's not because I'm strong...it's because I'm still pretty limber! I use an Orange Whip training club to build club head speed. Hard to come over the top and cast with one of those. I recommend them highly.

Don't lift heavy and you'll be fine, Mike. I'm 65 and have been lifting for the better part of fifty years. I don't do squats because my knees don't like them. I don't do flys because my left shoulder can't handle those. I'm not sure why you're doing six sets of bench presses? Do two sets with lower weights and more reps. Much less stress on your body.

As for adding yards to your drives? I teach golf down here in Florida and all the old guys want more distance! You'll add some distance getting stronger but to be honest the reason most people lose distance as they age is that they lose range of motion. If you really want to bang it off the tee do stretches to get your flexibility back. I can still get it out there 265 on average. It's not because I'm strong...it's because I'm still pretty limber! I use an Orange Whip training club to build club head speed. Hard to come over the top and cast with one of those. I recommend them highly.
I didn't mention I also do stretching, yoga and use an inversion table. I hit it about the same distance you do, I play the tips when I play with my son or if I'm paired up with good golfers. But you are right when I was in my 20s and a wiry whipper snapper I could hit my persimmon driver a good 30 yards farther than I hit my epic flash today. Oh if only I had a 24 year old body and the clubs I have now!

I didn't mention I also do stretching, yoga and use an inversion table. I hit it about the same distance you do, I play the tips when I play with my son or if I'm paired up with good golfers. But you are right when I was in my 20s and a wiry whipper snapper I could hit my persimmon driver a good 30 yards farther than I hit my epic flash today. Oh if only I had a 24 year old body and the clubs I have now!
Come on Mike...NOBODY hit persimmon clubs as far as the stuff we've got now! Jack Nicklaus led the tour back then and he averaged about 265. Now if you hit it that far you're in the bottom 10% of the guys out there playing! It's all about shafts today. If you're not hitting your Epic Flash as good as you think you should...I'd recommend seeing a competent club fitter and try some new shafts. I went from a Atmos regular flex shaft to a Rogue stiff flex...took about 1500 rpms of spin off my launch and gained almost fifteen yards of carry.

Come on Mike...NOBODY hit persimmon clubs as far as the stuff we've got now! Jack Nicklaus led the tour back then and he averaged about 265. Now if you hit it that far you're in the bottom 10% of the guys out there playing! It's all about shafts today. If you're not hitting your Epic Flash as good as you think you should...I'd recommend seeing a competent club fitter and try some new shafts. I went from a Atmos regular flex shaft to a Rogue stiff flex...took about 1500 rpms of spin off my launch and gained almost fifteen yards of carry.
I didn't average 290 back in the day, but I definitely would hit 3 or 4 drives a round over 290 for sure. I was the longest driver in my junior college conference. I wasn't all that good, no short game but I could hit it.

I didn't average 290 back in the day, but I definitely would hit 3 or 4 drives a round over 290 for sure. I was the longest driver in my junior college conference. I wasn't all that good, no short game but I could hit it.
Man, Freddie Couples used to average 265 when he was 22 and considered a big hitter on the tour right out of college...when he turned fifty he was averaging 295 with a bad back. Davis Love averaged 285 when he led the tour in driving and last year he was one of a number of players to hit it more than 400 yards on the Senior Tour! I would estimate that Jack Nicklaus in his prime playing with a modern driver and balls would average 350 off the tee. The stuff we have now is so much better than the old stuff!

Man, Freddie Couples used to average 265 when he was 22 and considered a big hitter on the tour right out of college...when he turned fifty he was averaging 295 with a bad back. Davis Love averaged 285 when he led the tour in driving and last year he was one of a number of players to hit it more than 400 yards on the Senior Tour! I would estimate that Jack Nicklaus in his prime playing with a modern driver and balls would average 350 off the tee. The stuff we have now is so much better than the old stuff!
I would have loved to see Tom Weiskopf in his prime hitting a modern driver. I followed him once at the PGA when it was held at Congressional. Similar build and swing to Davis Love, just effortless power.

Mike Mentzer. Heavy Duty.
I just do pullups and pushups these years. Pushups are fast.Drop and do 15-20 every couple hours. Takes seconds. Adds up quick. I do pullups in my shop.10 or so 3-4 times a day. Makes a big difference. Plus lifting all this steel crap I build is a form of "dead lifts"
View attachment 451542
Interesting, are those girder beams you welded together?
Yeah. different purpose.60 ton press brake, air/hydraulic.
pressbrake2.jpg

bench 135 lbs 6x6 rep
rows 65 lbs 2x10 repSwo
I would start with 12 oz. curls working your way up to 40's. Hit the desert on the weekends to burn out the crap you put in your system during the week and smoke good weed.

Forum List

Back