CDZ Did Santa Ever Come To Your House?

Did You Ever Do The Santa Claus Tradition?

• Total voters
I know that there tends to be a great debate about this because a lot of parents believe that Santa is like a lie you tell children. However, I see Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, and The Easter Bunny to be nothing but childhood innocent fantasies and that it's only considered a lie when the child gets old enough to start asking questions about them. So of course I got money from The Tooth Fairy, found Easter eggs from The Easter Bunny and made Christmas cookies for Santa Claus, but I'm just curious what everybody else thinks about them.
He did come when I was very young. But as an intruder, he was immediately shot. His remains were incinerated and took an amazingly long time to cool making our fireplace unusable the rest of that winter.

Yup, I never told my kids that Santa lie. I didn't want to be the first one on this earth to lie to my kids. My parents did, and when I figured out there wasn't one, I couldn't understand why they'd lie to be about something they didn't have to lie to me about.
It just stuck in my head.
Some fat fictitious dude getting all the credit for my hard work. Na.

That never stopped them from enjoying Christmas and all their presents.

I know that there tends to be a great debate about this because a lot of parents believe that Santa is like a lie you tell children. However, I see Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, and The Easter Bunny to be nothing but childhood innocent fantasies and that it's only considered a lie when the child gets old enough to start asking questions about them. So of course I got money from The Tooth Fairy, found Easter eggs from The Easter Bunny and made Christmas cookies for Santa Claus, but I'm just curious what everybody else thinks about them.
Santa does exist! I see his spirit in others all the time! One merely needs to understand who Santa actually is!

Yup, I never told my kids that Santa lie. I didn't want to be the first one on this earth to lie to my kids. My parents did, and when I figured out there wasn't one, I couldn't understand why they'd lie to be about something they didn't have to lie to me about.

You missed the developmental point to Santa and it was never a lie!

I'd say you obviously have not met my children, who are all literalists and rules lawyers. I knew when they were little that they absolutely WOULD have held it against me as a lie if I'd encouraged them to believe in fantasy figures like Santa and the Tooth Fairy, and they have each assured me since then - they are now 32, 26, and almost-13, respectively - that this is the case. They are also rather disdainful of this idea every time the question comes up around Christmas, although they're pretty understanding of people who aren't their parents and choose to foster these stories. Sarah, the oldest, has told me that my honesty on these subjects were a big reason why she continued to trust me and seek my advice through her very turbulent adolescence. Nicky, the middle child, says he always found the truth of Christmas - expressions of love and generosity between humans - to be more magical than Santa could ever be. Quinn, the youngest, simply says, "I don't like being lied to."

Fortunately, I myself was never taught to believe in Santa or any of the other stuff. I'm not sure my parents ever really thought about it one way or the other. So it didn't seriously occur to me to do any differently with my own kids.

Now that I think of it, my son never believed in in Santa, Toothfairy or Easter Bunny. Yet he, and us always seriously referred to the three as bringers of goodies. We still do to this very day. Getting older doesn't mean giving up the fantasy.

My youngest has always known that I am "the Tooth Fairy" - because my kids did still get cash for lost teeth - and would walk up to me with his lost tooth and say, "Ahem, the Tooth Fairy owes me a dollar."

Keeping track of which teeth had been lost is kind of important in my family, because we have a weird hereditary thing where some of us never lose the right canine. For some reason, the adult tooth forms too far up in the mouth and doesn't drop. It has to be corrected by a dentist so that the latent adult tooth doesn't damage the nerves.

He did come when I was very young. But as an intruder, he was immediately shot. His remains were incinerated and took an amazingly long time to cool making our fireplace unusable the rest of that winter.

I read an urban paranormal short story where Santa showed up at a house and was eaten by an 8-year-old werewolf.

My mother loved giving gifts far more than getting them. Her favorite thing about the Christmas season was planning out what to get people that would just thrill them. She included me in that, and it became my favorite part of the season too. All of my kids are big gift-givers too. In fact, the two boys have always put more energy in telling me what their brother really wanted than in telling me what they themselves want.

When I got married, my husband's parents had always had the opinion that it was their job to give gifts, not their children's to give them gifts. I was appalled. The man had no idea how to choose presents for people, and despite years of instruction on the subject, still occasionally comes up with the notion of, "We don't have to buy each other presents, because we can just go out and buy what we want." Ugh! My boys are now old enough to put their foot down on my behalf and inform him that he will ruin Christmas morning for everyone if Mom doesn't have a surprise to open along with them, period.

Had to explain that he represents the spirt of giving, but felt really bad about the lie.

But that isn't a lie though. The only lie would be is if you told her Santa was real, not just telling her a story and letting her choose to believe in the story herself.

I bought into the santa deal, my daughter was crushed when she found out there was no santa. Had to explain that he represents the spirt of giving, but felt really bad about the lie.

I think I was told by some older kids that Santa was real. I stood up for Santa and was made a fool out of and laughed at.

I grew up in a trailer house, so there wasn't a chimney to slide down. My folks said they'd leave the door unlocked...lol. My dad would really play it up. He would put hoof tracks in the driveway. I was excited as hell when I saw that every year.

I bought into the santa deal, my daughter was crushed when she found out there was no santa. Had to explain that he represents the spirt of giving, but felt really bad about the lie.
that isn't a logical position? If the meaning of Santa was the spirit of giving, how did that change when your daughter grew up?

I grew up in a trailer house, so there wasn't a chimney to slide down. My folks said they'd leave the door unlocked...lol. My dad would really play it up. He would put hoof tracks in the driveway. I was excited as hell when I saw that every year.
do you regret he did that?

BTW, I also grew up in houses without fireplaces, Front door was the option for the old boy my entire child life.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back