Detroit Police Officer Shoots and Kills Black Man

Maybe if there had been a social worker there when they tried to help him earlier he could have been directed towards actual help. It wouldn't have hurt to have one there anyway. The police are not equipped to address people having mental health issues.
When the nut ball is armed and attacking police or other citizens with deadly weapons, they are pretty well equipped. Where were this man's family and friends that should have been the first to see his mental state? If he had come at me or mine with a knife and sword, I would have dealt with it in a similar manner.

Maybe they have tried. I don't know. It's really hard to get people the help they need. We prefer to see to the needs of billionaires.
Has nothing to do with billionaires. Has to do with those close at hand, friends and family not taking responsibility for their sick.

Mental health care is expensive. Prohibitively so for many.

When they get unsteady at the wheel we take their keys. When they are erratic, unstable and talking of or committing violence we take their weapons and try to get them help. Help or no help, we do not leave them armed and dangerous. This isn't the break down of society due to trickle up. This is the breakdown of family and person responsibility for those around you at the individual level.

Unless they have somewhere to go you can't take from them forever and in all cases. It's not hard to find a sword or other weapon.
Far more expensive than families and friends taking responsibility as their brother's, son's, father's keeper. We do not let children have or play with weapons as we know it is inherently dangerous and we care for our children. Sadly the one's we care about can slip more toward the point where they cannot adequately be responsible for themselves again. We may not be able to cure their condition, but we can and most of us do take many of the means of deadly violence away from them. If you brother went blind would you let him drive his car just because he had paid for it and it belonged to him?
Normal children can have weapons, dumbass.
Been letting normal 6 year olds play with your .38 dumbass?

I had my own firearms at eight....
All I had was a bb gun and home sling shots at age 8, and yes I my but whipped of shooting a hole in a single glazed window pane that had to be re-glazed as well as setting pop bottle up against the shed and shooting them with the sling shot I made from a branch I cut and and bicycle inner tube.
The subject is not really about kids and weaponry. It is more about times later in life, when a family member is no longer to be trusted with weapons again, and some people failing to take responsibility and step in. It has happened. It will continue to happen. Responsible adult family step in to limit danger. Irresponsible adults wait for civil authorities to step in and do what responsible adult family members should have done, before somebody was injured or killed, just because some idiot who does not know you or the afflicted person tells you on the internet it is not right to take that responsibility away from a friend or loved one. Screw them, if it comes down to it. Do the right thing for you and yours, regardless of unknowing public opinion. Sucks to be an adult sometimes.

Maybe if there had been a social worker there when they tried to help him earlier he could have been directed towards actual help. It wouldn't have hurt to have one there anyway. The police are not equipped to address people having mental health issues.
Yeah, why didnt his family get this guy help? They above all others would know how crazy he is.

When the nut ball is armed and attacking police or other citizens with deadly weapons, they are pretty well equipped. Where were this man's family and friends that should have been the first to see his mental state? If he had come at me or mine with a knife and sword, I would have dealt with it in a similar manner.

Maybe they have tried. I don't know. It's really hard to get people the help they need. We prefer to see to the needs of billionaires.
Has nothing to do with billionaires. Has to do with those close at hand, friends and family not taking responsibility for their sick.

Mental health care is expensive. Prohibitively so for many.

When they get unsteady at the wheel we take their keys. When they are erratic, unstable and talking of or committing violence we take their weapons and try to get them help. Help or no help, we do not leave them armed and dangerous. This isn't the break down of society due to trickle up. This is the breakdown of family and person responsibility for those around you at the individual level.

Unless they have somewhere to go you can't take from them forever and in all cases. It's not hard to find a sword or other weapon.
Far more expensive than families and friends taking responsibility as their brother's, son's, father's keeper. We do not let children have or play with weapons as we know it is inherently dangerous and we care for our children. Sadly the one's we care about can slip more toward the point where they cannot adequately be responsible for themselves again. We may not be able to cure their condition, but we can and most of us do take many of the means of deadly violence away from them. If you brother went blind would you let him drive his car just because he had paid for it and it belonged to him?
Normal children can have weapons, dumbass.
Been letting normal 6 year olds play with your .38 dumbass?

I had my own firearms at eight....
6 is old enough for a B.B. gun.
I didn't get a .22 til I was 11. 10-11 is a decent age for .22.
Good for you. I met a 13 year old this week that you wouldn't trust with a BB gun now, not even to think about a real fire arm. Kids are different from each other and parents and parenting are different. No way to give intelligent blanket advice on that individual case issue.

Yeah, why didnt his family get this guy help? They above all others would know how crazy he is.

I addressed this two or three times.

Maybe if his family could not get him help, they should have at least taken his weapons. He might still be alive if they had handled their responsibility within their means.

By all means go confront that man earlier without police. See how that goes for you.

Maybe if his family could not get him help, they should have at least taken his weapons. He might still be alive if they had handled their responsibility within their means.

I kinda doubt he got it from them or they even knew he had it. Even then maybe he has no immediate family.

By all means go confront that man earlier without police. See how that goes for you.

I never said that. Why would you do this? Why not address what I said as opposed to make up a position for me and then argue that? (no need to answer, it's a rhetorical question, we know why)

A social worker would have been chopped to pieces

Why? There is no reason for them to get within striking distance.
There is one thing no matter what the end result is of the current police issues. There is only so much money you can get for it. Opening up mental health facilities again may slow things like this down but they are not going to be cheap. And the political arguments about how the mental patient is treated will be with us constantly and the lawyers not far behind.

A social worker would have been chopped to pieces

Why? There is no reason for them to get within striking distance.
There is one thing no matter what the end result is of the current police issues. There is only so much money you can get for it. Opening up mental health facilities again may slow things like this down but they are not going to be cheap. And the political arguments about how the mental patient is treated will be with us constantly and the lawyers not far behind.

Sure. But you either want to address the issue or not. We would IMO rather piss trillions away in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and you name the place, we are probably pissing money away.

Be prepared before you do anything, ever. But ignoring the situation for someone else is just as risky. You the type that pass your family trouble on down the line and then boo, hoo, hoo when that turns out badly? Sound irresponsible to me and sets a bad precedent for family rearing.

Forum List

Back