Desmond Tutu has passed

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013

age 90, and spent most of it fighting for his country.

RIP

As important a figure as Gandhi or MLK, Tutu lived as a shining example of what we could, and should, be. He could have rested on his laurels after apartheid ended, but he chose to continue addressing injustice whenever and wherever he found it..even chastising his own, black-majority govt..

Nicknamed “the Arch,” Tutu was diminutive, with an impish sense of humor, but became a towering figure in his nation’s history, comparable to fellow Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela, a prisoner during white rule who became South Africa’s first Black president. Tutu and Mandela shared a commitment to building a better, more equal South Africa
In 1990, after 27 years in prison, Mandela spent his first night of freedom at Tutu’s residence in Cape Town. Later, Mandela called Tutu “the people’s archbishop.”
Upon becoming president in 1994, Mandela appointed Tutu to be chairman of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which uncovered the abuses of the apartheid system.
Tutu campaigned internationally for human rights, especially LGBT rights and same-sex marriage.
“I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this,” he said in 2013, launching a campaign for LGBT rights in Cape Town. “I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say, ‘Sorry, I would much rather go to the other place.’”
Tutu said he was “as passionate about this campaign (for LGBT rights) as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level.” He was one of the most prominent religious leaders to advocate LGBT rights. Tutu’s very public stance for LGBT rights put him at odds with many in South Africa and across the continent as well as within the Anglican church.
Tutu was particularly incensed by the South African government’s refusal to grant a visa to the Dalai Lama, preventing the Tibetan spiritual leader from attending Tutu’s 80th birthday celebration as well as a planned gathering of Nobel laureates in Cape Town. South Africa rejected Tutu’s accusations that it was bowing to pressure from China, a major trading partner.

FHiKObcWYAQ-4VA

Last edited:

age 90, and spent most of it fighting for his country.

RIP
Good riddance. The asshole called Israel "apartheid".

Of course, everyone expresses one's sympathies to the Archbishop's family and friends.

But since this message board allows unpopular opinions, I would like to say that maybe the Archbishop could have accomplished more if he had supported a gradual transition to majority rule.

From what I have read, South Africa is experiencing severe economic problems and much unpleasantness between the remaining South Africans of Caucasian background and all other South Africans.

Maybe the transition would have been more successful if stretched over 25 or 50 years so that the vast majority could be more carefully integrated into society.

He fought for African rule in a white country. The country is not a better place dor his treason
SA was never a 'white' country. It was a country run by the descendants of white colonialists who codified racial oppression, much as our Jim Crow states did.
They enforced their will on the majority Black population with an iron fist and the full support of the law.

SA has problems. So? Who does not...but I think is a far better place today. Not as well run..but that is not the only measure of better.

Forum List

Back