Deon Sanders wins SI sportsman of the year. Wtf?

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
He has a record of 4-8 and is the biggest showboat of a coach we’ve ever seen.

Wow!
Finishing the season with 6 straight losses gets you the sportsperson of the YEAR??????????

I agree - what the holy hell??

WTF?

""Deion Sanders dominated the sports conversation in 2023 as a transformative figure not just in Colorado, but for the entire realm of college sports," SI editor-in-chief Stephen Cannella said in a statement. "On and off the field, he represents a new model for the modern college coach."
- So the modern college coach should go 4-8?

""I’ve never seen anything in sports quite like what Coach Prime did for the recognition of the program. The amount of hope he brought to Colorado is astounding. Well deserved," (Emmanual) Acho wrote.
- How'd that turn out?

I think of his excuse making by blaming the NCAA for "allowing" players to leave or not follow through with a commitment. (like the players he recruited)
Instead of looking at his own results.
Bob Knight, one of histories most winning coaches of any sport, consistently did so despite IU never being a big recruiting college. But won 4 national titles anyway, and had only one losing season.
Indiana University has had only one NBA star - Isiah Thomas. ONE. And despite that - they were one of the winningest teams in the 1980s-90s.

If Deon can't do better than 1-8 in his own conference - then he should be doing something else.

I mean, when you're the best, you're the best.

Iths tho thimple!

He was a football player in the NFL ... one of the finest cornerbacks of his generation, if not all time ...

I would use the word grace ... at least as that word is used in the Bible ...
He’s not being rewarded for what he did in the nfl. He’s never been a good sport, and frankly has made a mockery of coaching college football. In no way is he deserving of any coaching accolades.

He’s not being rewarded for what he did in the nfl. He’s never been a good sport, and frankly has made a mockery of coaching college football. In no way is he deserving of any coaching accolades.

Then don't give him any ... just makes me wonder what kind of sport you are ... is this about Coach-of-the-Year honors or somethin' ...

Then don't give him any ... just makes me wonder what kind of sport you are ... is this about Coach-of-the-Year honors or somethin' ...
I have no idea what you’re trying to insinuate, but giving a sportsmanship award to Sanders doesn’t pass the laugh test.

I have no idea what you’re trying to insinuate, but giving a sportsmanship award to Sanders doesn’t pass the laugh test.
Maybe because Sports illustrated is becoming more and more irrelevant every year - they did this to draw attention.

Forum List

Back