Deon Kay shooting: DC police release video of deadly encounter after protests

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I watched the full video. *Warning* it is graphic, showing loss of life, not appropriate for the workplace. It was professionally and objectively presented, the case is still under investigation obviously.

The man clearly had a gun. This is a justified shooting, little doubt in my mind about that. I was even critical enough to watch the video again, at HD, at 1/4th speed, no sound, full screen. Appears he probably tried to throw the gun, who knows, but he had it in his hand and running behind the officer at an angle.

There is a time in which police brutality does occur, this is NOT such an incident and it was wise for the police department to release the video. The cop didn't even shoot him multiple time. One shot is all he took. This cop probably isn't trigger happy if I were to guess.

Last edited:
Responding to a report of a man with a gun? Is this what the NRA wants? The cops called every time someone see's someone carrying?

Caller: I want to report a man with a gun.

911: Is he doing anything illegal? Robbing someone? Threatening someone"?

Caller: Not that I know.

911: Then there is really little we can do.

What am I missing?

Responding to a report of a man with a gun? Is this what the NRA wants? The cops called every time someone see's someone carrying?

What am I missing?
Two police officers were shot at in DC shortly before that all went down.

DC Moms are the ones calling for more gun control because they are tired of their children even if those children are adults being shot. It is their cultural issues and they should deal with that first and foremost but instead they want otherse to be limited because they cannot control their out of control adult children.

It is not lawful for an 18 year old to open carry in DC, it requires a license to open carry in DC and for gangs and thug types regardless of their color in crime ridden areas 'yes call the cops if you see something suspicious'.

A License to Carry a Handgun is required to legally carry a concealed handgun in the District of Columbia. ... Licenses are granted to residents and non-residents. Concealed carry licenses issued by other jurisdictions are not valid in D.C. A license to carry is required for possessing a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

What am I missing?

DC Moms are the ones calling for more gun control because they are tired of their children even if those children are adults being shot. It is their cultural issues and they should deal with that first and foremost but instead they want otherse to be limited because they cannot control their out of control adult children.

It is not lawful for an 18 year old to open carry in DC, it requires a license to open carry in DC and for gangs and thug types regardless of their color in crime ridden areas 'yes call the cops if you see something suspicious'.

A License to Carry a Handgun is required to legally carry a concealed handgun in the District of Columbia. ... Licenses are granted to residents and non-residents. Concealed carry licenses issued by other jurisdictions are not valid in D.C. A license to carry is required for possessing a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

The person in question was an adult and you didn't address my question. Is the idea of open carry for someone to call the police on you every time someone see's you open carry?

I watched the full video. *Warning* it is graphic, showing loss of life, not appropriate for the workplace. It was professionally and objectively presented, the case is still under investigation obviously.

The man clearly had a gun. This is a justified shooting, little doubt in my mind about that. I was even critical enough to watch the video again, at HD, at 1/4th speed, no sound, full screen. Appears he probably tried to throw the gun, who knows, but he had it in his hand and running behind the officer at an angle.

There is a time in which police brutality does occur, this is NOT such an incident and it was wise for the police department to release the video. The cop didn't even shoot him multiple time. One shot is all he took. This cop probably isn't trigger happy if I were to guess.

The cop should have waited until the criminal shot him multiple times before attempting non-lethal force, or just let him get away and (maybe) pick him up later.

They could have done any number of things to not shoot this criminal. Let him shoot them or get away and kill some other person later, whatever, it is okay if the cops and other people at large are in danger, as long as the criminal was not hurt. That's all that matters.
:beer:

The person in question was an adult and you didn't address my question. Is the idea of open carry for someone to call the police on you every time someone see's you open carry?
Perhaps you do not understand the concept of open carry or the difference between openly carrying a weapon on your person versus having one in hand, ready to fire.

Possessing a weapon that is clearly visible but holstered presents no immediate threat.

Cops walk around open carrying all the time. That is not considered a public danger. But let somebody who is not a cop walk around open carrying and all the hoplophobes get all frantic and freaked out, despite all these same people being so afraid of police that they want to defund and disband them.

What am I missing?

I did answer your question. Apparently you did not understand it.
for gangs and thug types regardless of their color in crime ridden areas 'yes call the cops if you see something suspicious'.

What am I missing?

for gangs and thug types regardless of their color in crime ridden areas 'yes call the cops if you see something suspicious'.

The something suspicious here was someone simply carrying. It's not hard to read what you are saying. You support open carry as long as the one carrying is acceptable to you. That's not how our rights work.

What am I missing?
You're not wrong on this point.

Just having a gun is not threatening. But, open carry is different than walking around with gun in hand. See above.

What am I missing?
You're not wrong on this point.

Just having a gun is not threatening. But, open carry is different than walking around with gun in hand. See above.

Those who open carry never remove their gun to show someone it?

What am I missing?

The something suspicious here was someone simply carrying. It's not hard to read what you are saying. You support open carry as long as the one carrying is acceptable to you. That's not how our rights work.
Open carry is legal in Texas (with a LTC) if it is holstered on the carrier's belt or a shoulder harness (neither of which are adequately defined, but I digress). If I walk around with my 9mm in my HAND, that is not open carry. I better have a reason for upholstering my weapon.

Either way, if the cops come for me for "carrying a weapon" the LAST thing I do is run or use that weapon in ANY threatening way. I cooperate with the police and explain myself.

Why is that such a difficult concept for so many people?

What am I missing?

Open carry is legal in Texas (with a LTC) if it is holstered on the carrier's belt or a shoulder harness (neither of which are adequately defined, but I digress). If I walk around with my 9mm in my HAND, that is not open carry. I better have a reason for upholstering my weapon.

Either way, if the cops come for me for "carrying a weapon" the LAST thing I do is run or use that weapon in ANY threatening way. I cooperate with the police and explain myself.

Why is that such a difficult concept for so many people?

Unlike black men you do not end up dead after being arrested like so many of them do. We now know why Freddie Grey ran even though the police never have stated a reason to chase him.

All the same was a phone call about a man with a gun. That is legal.

What am I missing?

So a white supremacist gang in a black neighborhood with a load of weapons being waved around in their cars should not be considered suspicious either according to your theory.

Locals generally know what and who looks to be doing suspicious activities in their own neighborhoods.

Profiling of things that are not normal behavior is a part of life whether you like it or not.

What am I missing?

A brain to think critically?

Unlike black men you do not end up dead after being arrested like so many of them do. We now know why Freddie Grey ran even though the police never have stated a reason to chase him.

All the same was a phone call about a man with a gun. That is legal.
Well, unlike "black men," I don't FUCKING START A GODDAMN FIGHT WITH THE COPS OR OTHERWISE FUCK WITH THEM WHEN THEY GIVE ME A LAWFUL ORDER!!!!!

I am so sick of this deliberate BULLSHIT about cops killing black people BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK. IT IS BULLSHIT!!!

But, why did said man with a gun put himself in a position to be a CLEAR threat to police??? WHY???? What a fucking idiot.

Those who open carry never remove their gun to show someone it?
No. Fuck no. A firearm is not a toy or show piece. Keep that shit holstered unless you intend to use it.

I've seen it done quite often.
That is risky behavior.

But, if one does pull his weapon for such a non-threatening showboat session, he should at least comply with police orders to NOT MOVE AND DROP THE WEAPON, should he not? Running away (resisting arrest) while holding that gun is a recipe for getting LAWFULLY smoke by a cop, won't you fucking agree?

This is so fucking ridiculous. I am sick of your motherfuckers IGNORING the dangerous behavior of "black men" which is the sole cause of their deaths.

Forum List

Back