Democrats unload on Obama EPA over new layoffs in coal industry

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
coals-war_reps_s640x480.jpg

West Virginia Democrats are “outraged” with President Obama’s Environmental Protection Agency, which has now cost the jobs of nearly 150 coal miners in the state.

Energy giant Consol announced Tuesday that it will idle its surface mining operations in Mingo County after failing to secure necessary Clean Water Act permits from the EPA.

The Miller Creek surface mine facility has been in operation for decades, and the company had planned to construct the new “King Coal Highway” as part of a reclamation project after mining is complete. Coal mine employees, Consol said, would eventually have been assigned to the highway project, once the coal supplies had been exhausted.

Democrats in the state, already angry with the administration’s “war on coal,” unloaded on the EPA on Tuesday afternoon.

“I am incensed and infuriated that the EPA would intentionally delay the needed permit for a public-private project that would bring so many good jobs and valuable infrastructure to communities that so desperately need them,” West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin said in a statement.

Mr. Manchin has been one of the loudest critics of Mr. Obama’s environmental policy. He skipped this year’s Democratic convention, and, in one of his campaign commercials, literally shot a hole through the controversial cap-and-trade bill.

“This project is a win-win and the EPA is trying to make it a loser,” he continued.

Mingo County officials have estimated that the mine and King Coal Highway projects could over the next 15 years created as many as 2,500 new jobs and supported the development of about 2,000 acres of land.

W.Va. Democrats unload on Obama EPA over new layoffs in coal industry - Washington Times

Imagine that - wating clean water - how awful.

Do you really believe the mine's owner intended to reclaim that land?

13,000 Jobs Created on Former Surface Mines in West Virginia

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – More than 13 thousand people are working in West Virginia because of projects created on land that has been reclaimed after surface mining.

The West Virginia Division of Energy and the Office of Coalfield Community Development announced the creation of 13,335 jobs stemming from 43 projects in 12 counties.

New uses for surface mined lands include residential development, tourism, energy, schools, government facilities and manufacturing.

“With some areas of our state having little flat land for development, the use of surface mined lands has been critically important to providing land for new industry and facilities for use by the general public,” says Division of Energy Director Jeff Herholdt. “In addition to the flat land, many projects are able to take advantage of infrastructure, roads, and electric service used during coal mining.”

13,000 Jobs Created on Former Surface Mines in West Virginia

U.S. coal exports on record pace in 2012, fueled by steam coal growth

U.S. coal exports on record pace in 2012, fueled by steam coal growth - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

US Shale Gas Drives Up Coal Exports

ScienceDaily (Oct. 26, 2012) — A report by researchers at The University of Manchester has concluded that whilst the US is burning less coal due to shale gas production, millions of tonnes of unused coal are being exported to the UK, Europe and Asia. As a result, the emissions benefits of switching fuels are overstated.

US shale gas drives up coal exports

Reality says, we can not survive on NG or Crude or Solar or Wind or Coal alone...

So try that candle tonight or ride that bike to work, even better, why don't you and your buddies pull all those trains and semi trailers around the world...

Too much??? Then STFU DA...

Reality says that so far 34 of obama's clean energy investments have gone bankrupt.

Forum List

Back