Democrats propose "transaction tax" on financial transactions. (Poll)

Do you support the new "transaction tax", and if so, what would you do with the revenue?

• No, I'll explain why in my post

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Yes, to pay for free community college & job training

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Yes, to pay for 1/2 of 4-year college and advanced degrees

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, to pay into the general revenue fund to pay for SS & Medicare

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Yes, see my post for where I'd put the $80b/yr revenue

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
All these taxes start to add up
Not on ordinary Americans.

On the wealthy some yea...nut they ain't exactly hurting. You prefer debt?

What are you blabbering about now? I said reduce spending but that makes you loons wet yourselves

Now cease annoying me with your nonsense
Yea...Republicans are always talking about reducing spending...and then they do the exact opposite.

And we certainly can't afford to do that now.

STFU bitch

Don't blame me you stuck your beak into something when you were wrong, Lush
Now run along and annoy someone else
I'm blaming you for talking out your ass as usual ( the myth/lie/fantasy that you favor spending cuts)

Care to talk about the massive debt your Orange hero incurred? I doubt it loudmouth

We have the fattest country on the planet I don't think anyone is food insecure
Did I say we were?

but food security is still the primary purpose for the Dept of Ag
No it's not.

It's to give subsidies to agribusiness to grow cheap crops for other corporations
The subsidies to mega corporations appear to be rather small overall

Food stamps seems to be the biggest expenditure
View attachment 482412
22% of the budget isn't exactly small

What are you blabbering about now? I said reduce spending but that makes you loons wet yourselves

Yea...Republicans are always talking about reducing spending...and then they do the exact opposite.

STFU bitch

I'm blaming you for talking out your ass as usual ( the myth/lie/fantasy that you favor spending cuts)

Care to talk about the massive debt your Orange hero incurred? I doubt it loudmouth
Pedo Joe is on track to rack up $48 TRILLION in debt.

:oops8:

STFU bitch

Biden's going to shatter what Trump added.

Your first mistake is you're once again fcking clueless and I really don't have time to listen to your BS, Lush.

Run along now

I support the proposed transaction tax. It will hit the high-speed traders more than me or other "buy and hold" investors.

How much money do these high-speed traders currently make every year?
They make too much. They do about half of the stock trades, and do nothing but steal our 401k investments.

Too much.

Your precise grasp of this issue is very convincing.

They do about half of the stock trades

And what do they do when they trade? Can you explain it?

and do nothing but steal our 401k investments.

I'm not buying and selling the stocks in my 401k every day, how do they steal from me?
From the OP:
"This (transaction tax) makes financial markets fairer and possibly less volatile. As described by Michael Lewis in Flash Boys, high frequency traders (HFTs) can earn profits by front-running other trades by micro-seconds, an activity that raises costs for legitimate traders and provides no value to society. HFTs account for roughly half all stock trades and much of their business model would be threatened by the proposed transactions tax.

If you're still not convinced, read the OP links. The transaction tax is a very good thing.

As described by Michael Lewis in Flash Boys, high frequency traders (HFTs) can earn profits by front-running other trades by micro-seconds, an activity that raises costs for legitimate traders and provides no value to society.

That drama queen? He's funny!

Ok, TSLA is trading at $711.15-Bid $711.19-Offer.
I try to buy 100 shares at $711.19.....how does an HFT swoop in and steal my money? Any idea?
When big investors buy any stocks that you have, the high-frequency traders steal some of the investment.
They provide no value to society. You're the drama queen whining about something you apparently know very little about.
They don't steal any of your investment.
Yes. They do. Theft of capital in thousandths of a second is how they make money.
Since when is buying and selling quickly theft?
If you aren't selling a product or service, what else would you call it?

Little more than a gimmick. It will not stop institutionalized investors will find other financial products to invest in, move those transactions elsewhere or find a way around the tax. HFT is essentially irrelevant to those that are not part of the trading as long term health of an asset is not phased by short term fluctuations.

The government will not get a tiny fraction of what it says it will out of the tax, more regulation is not going to help the average guy's 401k in any way and the spending that the tax is supposed to go to will not only exceed the projected gains but will not change when the government reveals that they are making far less than projected.
I see your words, but need proof of what you say is true.
ALL money made by HFTs is stolen from investors.
First, its not 'stolen' as that necessitates taking from someone without their consent, consent you give when you agree to buy and sell stock. Claiming it stealing is like whining the card players at the poker table stole from you because they are better at the game.

Second, that money comes from other high frequency or institutional investors. Not a single one of my investments has been effected by HFT because I do not invest short term. That a stock may half, double and then half again in price over the course of a month is irrelevant to the vast majority of investors, all that matters is the price point you get in and out. If you are not involved in short term trades then HFT does nothing to your investments. Short term volatility is simply not relevant.

If you are a short term investor then you are getting exactly what you want. All a tax on HFT does is attempt to remove a specific market for trades.

Finally, you have provided no proof that HFT traders steal anything. Your complaints about insider trading are not even remotely relevant to HFT, you can trade on inside information or manipulate the market without participating in a lot of transactions. We do know the government will not get what it thinks it will because they never raise the amounts they promise. Same thing goes with what happens to the money raised. You can guarantee that adding this tax will only increase the debt because the tax is not even represented as a function of raising funds, it is represented as a function of WHAT THEY CAN BUY WITH THE TAX.

IOW, the money would already be spent and even if it is done through reconciliation (which requires it to be deficit neutral iirc) it would still fail as there is zero chance they would actually ties the amount spent with the amount raised.

There are 2 reasons I can see to support something like this:
HFTs are an infringement on the people's freedom - Give me a good reason that the government should be infringing on my freedom to trade as I see fit because that is what you need. Not that more advanced individuals and/or institutions are taking the majority of the gains, that happens in every single field or economic activity in existence. 100 percent of them. There is not a single example of that not being the case. Tell me exactly how those HFTs are infringing on my freedom. Then there is a case to limit them.
or
Taxing HFTs is a necessary and proper source of funding for the federal government. That I think is rather indefensible but then again I think the government should be funded in an even manner without all the special interests, outright thuggish control or specifically targeting small groups of people.

Not liking HFTs because they can be used in a manner you do not agree with is not one of them.

STFU bitch

Your first mistake is you're once again fcking clueless and I really don't have time to listen to your BS, Lush.

Run along now
Especially since Trump didn't add it--It was forced on him by a democrat controlled house.

I support the proposed transaction tax. It will hit the high-speed traders more than me or other "buy and hold" investors.

They make too much. They do about half of the stock trades, and do nothing but steal our 401k investments.

Too much.

I'm not buying and selling the stocks in my 401k every day, how do they steal from me?
From the OP:
"This (transaction tax) makes financial markets fairer and possibly less volatile. As described by Michael Lewis in Flash Boys, high frequency traders (HFTs) can earn profits by front-running other trades by micro-seconds, an activity that raises costs for legitimate traders and provides no value to society. HFTs account for roughly half all stock trades and much of their business model would be threatened by the proposed transactions tax.

If you're still not convinced, read the OP links. The transaction tax is a very good thing.

As described by Michael Lewis in Flash Boys, high frequency traders (HFTs) can earn profits by front-running other trades by micro-seconds, an activity that raises costs for legitimate traders and provides no value to society.

I try to buy 100 shares at $711.19.....how does an HFT swoop in and steal my money? Any idea?
When big investors buy any stocks that you have, the high-frequency traders steal some of the investment.
They provide no value to society. You're the drama queen whining about something you apparently know very little about.
Yes. They do. Theft of capital in thousandths of a second is how they make money.
You are selling a product. A physical thing. It is a piece of a company which has actual tangible holdings and intellectual property.

STFU bitch

Run along now
Especially since Trump didn't add it--It was forced on him by a democrat controlled house.

Except that he wanted to spend MORE.

Trump was a fiscal disaster.

Too much.

From the OP:

You are buying something then selling something why does it have to be a product you produce or a service you supply?

Technically a stock is a piece of ownership in a corporation so you are buying and selling a piece of the corporation.

It will hit the high-speed traders more than me or other "buy and hold" investors.
Why, pray tell, would you promote another tax on yourself. It doesn't exempt your retirement transactions. Haul back all foreign aid and take care of issues in this country if you feel charitable. No more taxes.
Remember the 2010 "flash crash"? That was (high-frequency trading) HFTs.
The transaction tax wouldn't hit me significantly, I don't trade much. I'm a "buy and hold" investor.
IMHO the net benefits of this tax, stopping HFTs from stealing our investments would be a net gain.

Too much.

From the OP:

You are selling a product. A physical thing. It is a piece of a company which has actual tangible holdings and intellectual property.
Would you advocate for a tax every time you made a deposit to a savings account? Same thing.

I absolutely support this and I'm open to where we spend it.
Why am I not surprised that you support pure idiocy?

Paying for things is idiocy? Quite the opposite.
What was Stein's plan to pay for the "New Green Deal's" $120 TRILLION price tag?

I can't say I've seen her speak on that. I would hope it would be with the money we spent on the wasteful wars.
So you voted for someone despite being ignorant of the biggest part of her platform.

What an idiot. :laughing0301:

Sorry, can you show where she has spoken on this? I haven't heard from her since just after the 2016 election.

It will hit the high-speed traders more than me or other "buy and hold" investors.
Why, pray tell, would you promote another tax on yourself. It doesn't exempt your retirement transactions. Haul back all foreign aid and take care of issues in this country if you feel charitable. No more taxes.
Remember the 2010 "flash crash"? That was (high-frequency trading) HFTs.
The transaction tax wouldn't hit me significantly, I don't trade much. I'm a "buy and hold" investor.
IMHO the net benefits of this tax, stopping HFTs from stealing our investments would be a net gain.
So as long as it is your neighbor that the government is screwing, it is OK--just as long as they leave me alone. LOL, soon your neighbor won't be enough and then it is you. Wake Up.

I absolutely support this and I'm open to where we spend it.
Why am I not surprised that you support pure idiocy?

Paying for things is idiocy? Quite the opposite.
What was Stein's plan to pay for the "New Green Deal's" $120 TRILLION price tag?

I can't say I've seen her speak on that. I would hope it would be with the money we spent on the wasteful wars.
So you voted for someone despite being ignorant of the biggest part of her platform.

What an idiot. :laughing0301:

Sorry, can you show where she has spoken on this? I haven't heard from her since just after the 2016 election.
Yes, I can. But it isn't my job to educate the ignorant about the main positions of the candidate the ignorant votes for.

Forum List

Back