Democrats Have a Problem With Science, Too

Protected by a liberal media, the liberals never get labeled as being anti-science.....even though they are. Hypocrite much?

Democrats Have a Problem With Science, Too - Tara Haelle - POLITICO Magazine

"Still, given the objections to climate science and evolution heard so often from the right, articles lamenting those anti-science views remain commonplace. Less common, though, are those pointing out the donkey in the room: that, when it comes to certain issues, Democrats, too, conveniently ignore science or promote agendas that contradict the scientific consensus. Those examples just aren’t as easy to see.

In fact, I will freely admit I had trouble at first finding examples. Concerns about vaccine safety and genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are often held up as evidence of anti-scientific beliefs among liberals. But opinion polls about those two issues rarely ask about political affiliation the way polls about climate change and evolution do. The exception is a 2009 Pew Research survey, which indicated that Democrats and Republicans appear to support child vaccination equally (71 percent of both favor it). Interestingly, the same survey reveals that there is less difference than one might think between political affiliations on views about evolution. More Democrats (36 percent) than Republicans (23 percent) believe in natural evolution, but Republicans lead by only 4 points in believing in evolution by “supreme guidance.” Only 9 points separate Republicans (39 percent) from Democrats (30 percent) in believing the earth has always existed “in its present form.” These results undermine the common assumptions that vaccine hysteria is limited to the left, and creationism is limited to the GOP.

The few times writers have attempted to point out the left’s problems with science, they have gotten shot down for “false equivalence”—for holding up both parties as equally anti-science so as not to seem biased when one of those parties is in reality more anti-science than the other.

But such cries of false equivalence miss the point. The issue isn’t whether the Democrats are anti-science enough to match the anti-science lunacy of Republicans. The point is that any science denialism exists on the left at all. If there is grime in my bathroom and grime in my kitchen, I don’t stand there and contemplate which one has more filth; my house won’t be clean until I have scoured both.

The fact is, there’s plenty of anti-science grime on the left that needs to be cleaned up."

"But digging a little deeper reveals plenty of bills that ignore the scientific consensus. Sure, they are mostly at the state level. But then, so are the Republicans’ bills pushing creationism into schools.

Take anti-GMO sentiment, for example. The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) notes in its statement on the issue that “25 years of research involving more than 500 independent research groups” has found genetically modified foods to be no riskier than foods resulting from conventional breeding. Eating a GM tomato is just as safe as eating a non-GM tomato. The AAAS therefore opposes GMO labeling because it could “mislead and falsely alarm customers.” Though some polling has shown GMO labeling support to be about equal among Republicans, Democrats and Independents, looking at GMO-related legislation tells another story."

"Another form of science denialism, or at least alarmism, is “chemophobia,” an irrational fear of “toxic chemical” exposure in situations where there is no scientific evidence of danger. “Chemical safety” laws attempting to ban bisphenol A (BPA)—a synthetic compound used in canned-goods packaging and in hard plastics such as water bottles, whose removal is leading to the use of less tested alternatives—and formaldehyde lack any scientific basis. There is no evidence that either of these chemicals is harmful to human health in the amounts they are used in common household products. Yet 99 percent of Democrats voted in support of the state laws banning them, according to one advocacy organization. While that number seems hard to believe at face value, it’s not far off: A look through the sponsors of various chemophobic bills reveals, once again, that all but a handful come from the left."

"But from anti-GMO and chemophobic legislation to exaggeration of nuclear power risk, the left does have its share of problems with science. Instead of debating who is worse, the focus should be on cleaning out the grime from the whole house."

I've brought this up many times in the past.

And there we have it folks. The belief that scientists just make up theories out of thin air and no research is done.

Basicaill KWC believes there is no right or wrong, no possible or impossible when it comes to science. Its all a toss up :lol: Gotta be a blond

So, your belief is that science cannot be questioned? That the scientific method involves divine revelation and must be unquestioningly accepted, as you personally do with AGW?

Sigh...

Leftism is based on a foundation of complete ignorance.

So when you say there was no studies showing GMO's to be harmful, you knew all along that to be false because of the Gluten study? Then why the fuck did you lie about it?

Then the study you cite has nothing to do with GMO's at all.

Are you fucking with me?

I said scientific, idiot, you posted nonsense.

I know and you have yet to explain how all 10 dont fit the scientific label

Ten Scientific Studies Prove that Genetically Modified Food Can Be Harmful To Human Health | Global Research

"because I said so" and putting it in large font is not an answer

You post to a fucking conspiracy site? :eek:

ROFL

Not that you had any credibility to begin with.

Ever eaten a Ruby Red grapefruit, sparky?

There is not a single peer reviewed study which links GMO's to any health issues among humans.

None. All you can produce is conspiracy theory sites and papers on "possible dangers" or "Unknown effects.'

In other words, the usual voodoo bullshit from the anti-science left.

And there we have it folks. The belief that scientists just make up theories out of thin air and no research is done.

Basicaill KWC believes there is no right or wrong, no possible or impossible when it comes to science. Its all a toss up :lol: Gotta be a blond

So, your belief is that science cannot be questioned? That the scientific method involves divine revelation and must be unquestioningly accepted, as you personally do with AGW?

Sigh...

Leftism is based on a foundation of complete ignorance.

Sure yes thats what I'm saying. Play dumb...it suits you

Ten Scientific Studies Prove that Genetically Modified Food Can Be Harmful To Human Health | Global Research

ROFL

There is not a single peer reviewed study which links GMO's to any health issues among humans.

None. All you can produce is conspiracy theory sites and papers on "possible dangers" or "Unknown effects.'

So once again you are rejecting science and think that renaming conspiracy makes it become whatever you label it? LOL.

You didnt even point out HOW it was wrong. Just like KWC...You just say it is and think that means something.

Maybe you want to put up links that have nothing to do with the topic like KWC did too and raise your hands in the air. :lol:

ROFL

So once again you are rejecting science and think that renaming conspiracy makes it become whatever you label it? LOL.

You didnt even point out HOW it was wrong. Just like KWC...You just say it is and think that means something.

Maybe you want to put up links that have nothing to do with the topic like KWC did too and raise your hands in the air. :lol:

Do you even realize what a joke you are considered on this board? Seriously, do you? Do yourself a favor and check for polyps while you have your head up your ass.

ROFL

Do you even realize what a joke you are considered on this board? Seriously, do you? Do yourself a favor and check for polyps while you have your head up your ass.

Change the subject again. I dont blame you :D

ROFL

YOU linked to a nutjob conspiracy site as some sort of evidence that GMO's are KILLING US.

Yeah, I don't waste my time on conspiracy sites. The morons who follow them are fringe fools with no impact on real life.

Chaia Heller, PhD. wrote a great PEER REVIEWED report on the perversion of science by cultural trends. GMO's are a perfect examples, those who blow smoke and make noise are virtually never scientists;

{Actors promoting or undermining an objectivist risk discourse maybe unaware that they are doing so — and thus may be unaware of the broader implications for debates about technoscience. Nevertheless the CP’s discursive manoeuvres have broadened understandings of what may count as expertise for technoscience practice and policy making in the future}

nbenvegnu.free.fr/atelier/20131120 - Atelier 5/Heller - Science as Culture - 2002.pdf

You see, you are interested in promoting politics, extreme left politics. In the very best of circumstance, you will voice support of research that you think promotes your political goals.

What I mean is that even in the best circumstance legitimate research is subservient to political goals.

Should research run contrary to the goals of the party, legitimate research is met by a firestorm from the cultural and entertainment industry, which form the core of the "scientific" community for the left.

Maybe I'll just point out that you are an opponent of the scientific method intent on promoting a political agenda...

ROFL

YOU linked to a nutjob conspiracy site as some sort of evidence that GMO's are KILLING US.

Yeah, I don't waste my time on conspiracy sites. The morons who follow them are fringe fools with no impact on real life.

Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites

Me: How is it conspiracy?

Answer: Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites Conspiracy sites

Chaia Heller, PhD. wrote a great PEER REVIEWED report on the perversion of science by cultural trends. GMO's are a perfect examples, those who blow smoke and make noise are virtually never scientists;

So instead of proving your point about made up science you decide instead to find info about something completely unrelated and claim you dont have the time to find information related to the topic :lol:

Cool story bro :lol:

So instead of proving your point about made up science you decide instead to find info about something completely unrelated and claim you dont have the time to find information related to the topic :lol:

Are you stupid?

Read the paper. It is a PEER REVIEWED study that demonstrates opposition to GMO's is a cultural fad that defies availible scientific research.

Protected by a liberal media...

And thus the premise of your thread fails, as there’s no such thing as the ‘liberal media,’ consequently no one is being ‘protected’ from anything.

Moreover, the premise of the article also fails as a false comparison fallacy. It’s idiocy to compare concerns over GMOs to that of social conservatives seeking to compel the religion of creationism be taught in public schools in violation of the Constitution.

Are you stupid?

Read the paper. It is a PEER REVIEWED study that demonstrates opposition to GMO's is a cultural fad that defies availible scientific research.

Lets review.

You Claim scientific research doesnt exists
I post scientific research complete with links to all reports
You claim its conspiracy without explanation
I post the question how is it false?
You respond that you dont have time to say
BUT you do have time to post a pdf to something unrealted
I'll post another link.

You'll wash and repeat your previous actions

No scientific consensus on GMO safety

Annnnd Action....

Lets review.

You Claim scientific research doesnt exists

Ah, reduced to really stupid lies.

How pathetic.

I post scientific research complete with links to all reports

ROFL

You posted to a fucknut conspiracy site - dedicated to exposing global conspiracies which it purports that GMO's are part of.

You are a joke.

You claim its conspiracy without explanation
I post the question how is it false?
You respond that you dont have time to say
BUT you do have time to post a pdf to something unrealted
I'll post another link.

You'll wash and repeat your previous actions

No scientific consensus on GMO safety

Annnnd Action....

Moron, I have no need to prove your idiocy false, it is incumbent upon you to support your idiotic claims.

Link to a peer reviewed study demonstrating a causation between GMO's and health issues in humans.

You can't, there are none.

You know NOTHING about how actual research works - you are a AGW fool who is trying to apply your insipid ignorance of science to other areas.

So when you say there was no studies showing GMO's to be harmful, you knew all along that to be false because of the Gluten study? Then why the fuck did you lie about it?

Then the study you cite has nothing to do with GMO's at all.

Are you fucking with me?

If they all fit the label why do you keep dropping it when you refer to them.

Forum List

Back