Democratic Members Of Congress Urge High Court To Stand Up For Pregnant Women

If this paragraph I found on another article is true

UPS policy allows accommodations for workers temporarily unable to perform all aspects of their job, including if they are injured or have their driver's licenses revoked because of drunken driving, according to the complaint, jointly filed by the ACLU and the New York Civil Liberties Union.

Then I hope UPS gets hammered here. If you can find another job for a fuck who got a DUI you can find another job for a pregnant woman.

She was a delivery driver. Instead of being offered light duty during her pregnacy, UPS wanted her to take "unpaid leave"

In a friend-of-the-court brief, the Democratic lawmakers — 99 from the House, including Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and 24 senators — said UPS delivery driver Peggy Young of Lorton, Virginia, was unfairly treated by her employer when it asked her to take unpaid maternity leave rather than provide a less strenuous position as her doctors advised.

Many of the lawmakers are pushing legislation to make the pregnancy protections explicit in federal law. They argue that the lower appeals court in Richmond, Virginia, ruled incorrectly by siding with UPS.

Young, 42, should have received the light work accommodation because current federal law provisions are designed to "ensure that pregnant women were no longer treated as second-class citizens on the job," they wrote.
Her skill set and job was delivery, which includes handling packages up to 70 pounds. Handling packages up to 70 pounds is physically demanding and probably not the best thing for a pregnant woman to be doing. Especially as her pregnancy moves into the later months. She should have understood that she couldn't do that type of work throughout her pregnancy.
There are only a few "light duty" jobs in an environment where people are generally expected to lift up to 70 pounds. If no "light duty" work is available, she shouldn't be paid to do nothing. I pay a person to do my yard work, if he suddenly gets an illness/condition that prevents him from mowing my yard I'm not going to keep paying him for yard work he isn't doing.
It has nothing to do with treating somebody as a second class citizen.

Democrats habitually do not stand up for the National Anthem. Why would anyone expect even one of them to stand up for a pregnant woman? Oh, wait, to chide her for not having had an abortion?

"It looks like" isn't facts and specifics. We are talking about the law and SCotUS here. "It looks like" doesn't cut it."

What are other drivers, who are injured and can't drive do? Is she actually an employee or a Contract worker? I don't remember which one, but at least one of the big three companies the drivers are contract workers. They are responsible for supplying their own vehicle, or renting it from the company, they pay for their own gas, insurance, etc.

A lot of details are missing.

UPS drivers work for UPS...FedEx drivers are contractors.

An injured driver would be paid either workers' comp or disability.

She was a delivery driver. Instead of being offered light duty during her pregnacy, UPS wanted her to take "unpaid leave"

In a friend-of-the-court brief, the Democratic lawmakers — 99 from the House, including Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and 24 senators — said UPS delivery driver Peggy Young of Lorton, Virginia, was unfairly treated by her employer when it asked her to take unpaid maternity leave rather than provide a less strenuous position as her doctors advised.

Many of the lawmakers are pushing legislation to make the pregnancy protections explicit in federal law. They argue that the lower appeals court in Richmond, Virginia, ruled incorrectly by siding with UPS.

Young, 42, should have received the light work accommodation because current federal law provisions are designed to "ensure that pregnant women were no longer treated as second-class citizens on the job," they wrote.
Her skill set and job was delivery, which includes handling packages up to 70 pounds. Handling packages up to 70 pounds is physically demanding and probably not the best thing for a pregnant woman to be doing. Especially as her pregnancy moves into the later months. She should have understood that she couldn't do that type of work throughout her pregnancy.
There are only a few "light duty" jobs in an environment where people are generally expected to lift up to 70 pounds. If no "light duty" work is available, she shouldn't be paid to do nothing. I pay a person to do my yard work, if he suddenly gets an illness/condition that prevents him from mowing my yard I'm not going to keep paying him for yard work he isn't doing.
It has nothing to do with treating somebody as a second class citizen.

UPS apparently has a written policy that if a driver gets a DUI and loses his/her license they will find another position for that driver.

Fuck them on this.

If this paragraph I found on another article is true

UPS policy allows accommodations for workers temporarily unable to perform all aspects of their job, including if they are injured or have their driver's licenses revoked because of drunken driving, according to the complaint, jointly filed by the ACLU and the New York Civil Liberties Union.

Then I hope UPS gets hammered here. If you can find another job for a fuck who got a DUI you can find another job for a pregnant woman.
"Allowing accommodations" is not a guarantee, it's a maybe.

Forum List

Back