Democrat Congressman: Tax Drivers for Every Mile They Drive

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
100s of billions wasted by the federal government and all this liberal idiot can come up with is to gouge regular Americans for more:eusa_eh: Nice green bicycle pin:cuckoo:

earl%20blumenauer_1.jpg

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) spoke at the Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C. on July 11, 2014.
(CNSNews.com) – While the House and the Senate this week issued measures intended to temporarily replenish the Highway Trust Fund before it runs out of money next month, Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) ended the week by proposing to hike - then abolish - the federal fuel tax and replace it with a per-mile “fee.”

“The policy development that I’m most excited about and that will reinforce the right practices for the future: After we raise the gas tax, we should abolish it,” Blumenauer said on Friday at the liberal Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C. “The time is right to replace the gas tax, because it’s no longer an accurate reflection of road use and benefit because of these wildly changing fuel consumption patterns, and replace it with a vehicle mile travel fee regardless of the choice of vehicle fuel.

“That technology is available,” said Blumenauer, whose home state of Oregon has already had pilot vehicle mile travel fee programs in place for a decade.

And although Blumenauer did not take questions at the event, he attempted to deflect criticism about the vehicle mile travel fee being disadvantageous to rural Americans who not only don’t have access to public transportation but also need cars or trucks to operate their businesses.

“That’s exactly the reverse of reality,” Blumenauer said. “Our continued reliance on single-occupant vehicles in too much of America and on gallons of fuel consumed to pay for it places rural and small town Americans at a significant disadvantage, because today too many of them have no alternatives to driving.

Blumenauer said “gas-sipping” people who drive hybrid or electric cars tend to be urban-dwelling and more affluent, while rural Americans tend to drive less fuel-efficient cars.

“They are caught at the opposite end of this transportation spending spiral – paying more and more while the rest pay less and less,” Blumenauer said.

The debate in Congress about how to keep the Highway Trust Fund solvent has been going on for decades, and the current federal gas tax of 18.4 cents per gallon has not been increased since 1993, according to the Department of Transportation.

Many proposals have been made over the years, including by Blumenauer, who last year held a press conference to announce his plan for increasing the federal fuel tax to 33.4 cents a gallon for gas and 42.8 cents a gallon for diesel, according to a Dec. 4, 2013 Washington Post report.

Democrat Congressman: Tax Drivers for Every Mile They Drive | CNS News

Last edited:
100s of billions wasted by the federal government and all this liberal idiot can come up with is to gouge regular Americans for more:eusa_eh: Nice green bicycle pin:cuckoo:

earl%20blumenauer_1.jpg

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) spoke at the Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C. on July 11, 2014.
(CNSNews.com) – While the House and the Senate this week issued measures intended to temporarily replenish the Highway Trust Fund before it runs out of money next month, Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) ended the week by proposing to hike - then abolish - the federal fuel tax and replace it with a per-mile “fee.”

“The policy development that I’m most excited about and that will reinforce the right practices for the future: After we raise the gas tax, we should abolish it,” Blumenauer said on Friday at the liberal Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C. “The time is right to replace the gas tax, because it’s no longer an accurate reflection of road use and benefit because of these wildly changing fuel consumption patterns, and replace it with a vehicle mile travel fee regardless of the choice of vehicle fuel.

“That technology is available,” said Blumenauer, whose home state of Oregon has already had pilot vehicle mile travel fee programs in place for a decade.

And although Blumenauer did not take questions at the event, he attempted to deflect criticism about the vehicle mile travel fee being disadvantageous to rural Americans who not only don’t have access to public transportation but also need cars or trucks to operate their businesses.

“That’s exactly the reverse of reality,” Blumenauer said. “Our continued reliance on single-occupant vehicles in too much of America and on gallons of fuel consumed to pay for it places rural and small town Americans at a significant disadvantage, because today too many of them have no alternatives to driving.

Blumenauer said “gas-sipping” people who drive hybrid or electric cars tend to be urban-dwelling and more affluent, while rural Americans tend to drive less fuel-efficient cars.

“They are caught at the opposite end of this transportation spending spiral – paying more and more while the rest pay less and less,” Blumenauer said.

The debate in Congress about how to keep the Highway Trust Fund solvent has been going on for decades, and the current federal gas tax of 18.4 cents per gallon has not been increased since 1993, according to the Department of Transportation.

Many proposals have been made over the years, including by Blumenauer, who last year held a press conference to announce his plan for increasing the federal fuel tax to 33.4 cents a gallon for gas and 42.8 cents a gallon for diesel, according to a Dec. 4, 2013 Washington Post report.

These are the kinds of people that put out on NPR that bread must be torn not sliced.

I'm not kidding.

Thursday they actually suggested this idiocy.

These people have their heads so far up in the clouds I think they suffer from brain damage from lack of oxygen.

So essentially he's suggesting that I should pay about $300 a week in mileage tax instead of the $3-4 a week I pay in gas tax. Small problem....... that increase makes it not worth driving to work every day (about 180 miles round trip per week).

So essentially he's suggesting that I should pay about $300 a week in mileage tax instead of the $3-4 a week I pay in gas tax. Small problem....... that increase makes it not worth driving to work every day (about 180 miles round trip per week).

that's a plus, for the green nutjobs. Mass transit like sheep

earl%20blumenauer_1.jpg

Uber environmentalist who wants to see OR as the hemp capital of the U.S.

that's a plus, for the green nutjobs. Mass transit like sheep

You missed my point. I'm talking about this idea making it not worth going to work. There is no Mass transit in my area to where I work and I wouldn't use it even if there was.

This Jackass obviously lives in Portland where mass transit in abundant and free. Anywhere outside of the Portland area is rural, without transit & many other much needed services.

We folks out here travel at least 25 miles each way just to get to the nearest medical & shopping. It's 5 hours to Portland where we must drive to catch a plane or major medical center. It's several hours just to get to the next major city.
Whoever comes up we these ideas is only thinking of themselves....As usual :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Didn't you know this was coming as soon as hybrids and electric cars took to the road! Taxing by the mile IS going to happen. The attention should be away from taxing by the mile which will happen no matter what, and directed to removing the existing gas taxes so we are not taxed twice on the same activity.

Part of reason is more tracking of where you go...I say make it part of your tax return, no tracking needed.

This Jackass obviously lives in Portland where mass transit in abundant and free. Anywhere outside of the Portland area is rural, without transit & many other much needed services.

We folks out here travel at least 25 miles each way just to get to the nearest medical & shopping. It's 5 hours to Portland where we must drive to catch a plane or major medical center. It's several hours just to get to the next major city.
Whoever comes up we these ideas is only thinking of themselves....As usual :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Not to mention the fact that pink bow-ties are really sexy.

Didn't you know this was coming as soon as hybrids and electric cars took to the road! Taxing by the mile IS going to happen. The attention should be away from taxing by the mile which will happen no matter what, and directed to removing the existing gas taxes so we are not taxed twice on the same activity.

So you're suggesting I'll be out of a job shortly, regardless of what amount of common sense is brought to bear on this? Interesting. I wonder how the company will deal with an entire department quitting at once.

Last edited:
Portland has screwed itself every which way but loose. Unfortunately Oregon is a very nice state that is being run by loons that lives in a city that does NOT represent the rest of the state. Although a very nice place to visit many of us say Fuck Portland...

I now know that "Don't Californicate" means leave the stinking California politics where you found them instead of bringing the same crap you're running from, turning Oregon into another CA :cuckoo::cuckoo:

What these people are actually suggesting is if "we make your driving expenses too high, move to the city"....Their goal is not revenue. It is to limit movement( freedom).
These radical tree hugging dirt eating libs want everyone crammed into urban centers.
They hate the idea of private property, home ownership( unless it is by politically correct protected classes), vehicle use and anything that permits enjoyment of the fruits of our labor.
In nay event. This type of taxation is impossible to administer.
For example. Suppose residents of a neighboring state where there is no such movement tax, work in one that does tax this way. Because the commuter from out of state has their auto registered elsewhere, how does the movement tax state charge them for using it's roads?
That also begs the question for travelers, truckers or other business vehicle operations.
This idea is pie in the sky liberalism.
This kind of taxation would have to be done on a national level otherwise it would be unmanageable.
And then we would have the inevitable reaction that when government lays an unfunded mandate at the feet of the people, they will do whatever that must to find a way around it.

Portland has screwed itself every which way but loose. Unfortunately Oregon is a very nice state that is being run by loons that lives in a city that does NOT represent the rest of the state. Although a very nice place to visit many of us say Fuck Portland...

I now know that "Don't Californicate" means leave the stinking California politics where you found them instead of bringing the same crap you're running from, turning Oregon into another CA :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Californicate politics moved North through Washington and spread out through Arizona and New Mexico.

I figure if they try it in Texas it'll start a civil war.
illegal-immigration-poster.jpg

a+6a00e5540ff48a88340134855c9cdd970c-800wi.jpg

ms13-gang-003.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back