Declare a jubilee: Pandemic is time to forgive debts, cardinal suggests

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- "Could the coronavirus-19 crisis lead to a jubilee?" Filipino Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle wondered out loud during a Mass livestreamed from the Pontifical Philippine College in Rome.

Preaching March 29 about the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, Cardinal Tagle looked at a variety of ways people can be in "tombs" and in need of light, fresh air and new life.

Looking specifically at the coronavirus pandemic, Cardinal Tagle, president of Caritas Internationalis and prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, pointed out how people are losing their jobs, "especially the daily wage earners, and that lack of resources and that poverty could be one tomb right now for many poor people."

That is not a bad idea.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- "Could the coronavirus-19 crisis lead to a jubilee?" Filipino Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle wondered out loud during a Mass livestreamed from the Pontifical Philippine College in Rome.

Preaching March 29 about the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, Cardinal Tagle looked at a variety of ways people can be in "tombs" and in need of light, fresh air and new life.

Looking specifically at the coronavirus pandemic, Cardinal Tagle, president of Caritas Internationalis and prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, pointed out how people are losing their jobs, "especially the daily wage earners, and that lack of resources and that poverty could be one tomb right now for many poor people."

That is not a bad idea.

"Could the coronavirus-19 crisis lead to a jubilee?" Filipino Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle wondered out loud

Interesting idea!

Before we do anything, Luis, could you lend me $100,000?
Disir, can you throw in another $100,000?

Time to max out the credit cards.......right before the jubilee.

That is not a bad idea.

"Could the coronavirus-19 crisis lead to a jubilee?" Filipino Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle wondered out loud

Interesting idea!

ya, if they are gunna do it I woould like to go run up some debt first. I do not think I owe a red dime right now. I carry a credit card for emergancy but have had none in quite a while. proly should not have said that , now i will likely have one and have to wip that card out.

That is not a bad idea.

Interesting idea!

Nope. Not today.

That is not a bad idea.

Interesting idea!

Nope. Not today.

When?

That is not a bad idea.

Interesting idea!

Nope. Not today.

When?

Today is not your day. Tomorrow ain't lookin' good either.

That is not a bad idea.

Interesting idea!

Nope. Not today.

When?

What good is a jubilee if you don't loan me any money?

That is not a bad idea.

Interesting idea!

Nope. Not today.

When?

Cherries Jubilee Recipe | Saveur

That is not a bad idea.

Interesting idea!

Nope. Not today.

When?

You won't loan me any money?
What are you afraid of...……..

That is not a bad idea.

Interesting idea!

Nope. Not today.

When?

Seriously? We have not sparred in a couple of years....

This could be a set up............

That is not a bad idea.

Interesting idea!

Nope. Not today.

When?

Seriously? We have not sparred in a couple of years....

This could be a set up............

Seriously. Seriously stupid idea.

A satisfying and profound thought. But this pandemic is not nearly going to be severe enough to jolt humanity out of its self-destructive habits. For that we would need another "Black Plague."

The truth is that via sophisticated Federal Reserve credit and money creation policies we have long been forgiving and bailing out our own deeply indebted government. Our whole system enriches our own banks and corporations and Hedge Funds, even while they systemically transfer wealth up to our richest and best connected elites (or often just to the most corrupt Wall Street speculators). The present system has weakened and divided society, encouraged imperialism and nationalism, and effectively bankrupted and looted "Mainstreet" and many productive companies.

Of course the governments of poor countries could never print money like our Fed does or other strong country central banks can. Nor can the IMF independently "print money," for that matter. The very structure of world economy means that a "Jubilee" -- if it ever was seriously considered -- would require a political revolution in the U.S. (or loss of dollar supremacy) and a careful selection of which debts get forgiven.

So, I fear, despite all the temporary measures costing trillions of Fed created dollars "to shore up the economy" and bail out companies (many of which should go bankrupt), despite the many billions that will go to "tide over" unemployed workers, the game will continue. The ultra-rich will get richer and the rest of us will get poorer.

I hope I am wrong. I want to be wrong. But I rather think this crisis will not be nearly enough to change the way most of our elites, or our people, think and run the economy. If there is a major depression that lasts a generation, then maybe.

Last edited:
The next Jubilee if calculated correctly is not due for another year in Israel possibly but I understand the concept or idea is well meaning to bad it was never adopted by the rest of the world as for example if the fed was created in 1919 then the end of the year of 2019 would have been a jubilee year of fifty years where all former holdings go back to the original families and all debts are forgiven ... Too bad the Fed just keeps everyone enslaved to their make believe money it is time to go back to a system where sound “ money” is once again used...But if deflation of assets continues apace maybe we are heading there anyway and we will return to a fairer measure of the worth of goods...

A jubilee is a great God given idea. Of course, it requires a fear of God that is not evident except in small isolated areas.

Forum List

Back