Death Penalty Case Puts Bush and Texas at Odds Over Mexican's Fate

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Sunday, October 07, 2007
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — President Bush, who presided over 152 executions as governor of Texas, wants to halt the state's execution of a Mexican national for the brutal killing of two teenage girls.

The case of Jose Ernesto Medellin has become a confusing test of presidential power that the U.S. Supreme Court, which hears the case this week, ultimately will sort out.

The president wants to enforce a decision by the International Court of Justice that found the convictions of Medellin and 50 other Mexican-born prisoners violated their rights to legal help as outlined in the 1963 Vienna Convention.

That is the same court Bush has since said he plans to ignore if it makes similar decisions affecting state criminal laws.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299917,00.html

The latest this AM is that the US Supreme Court agree with Bush. IMO, this violates the sovereignty of our nation.

The way he's acted, I have to wonder if Bush is planning on running for President of Mexico next.

Texas argues that neither the international court nor Bush has any say in Medellin's case.

hehehehe... This sentence cracks me up.

It would be a goddamn shame if these guys were let off on a technicality. GANG RAPING two girls.... Yea, I'm with Texas on this one. What is Mexico going to do? stop exporting their lower class up North?

Forum List

Back