Dealspot- Gerber Flat Iron $23...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Prime Day 2020 only deal...$27 + 20% off.

IOW today only...until 23:59 I believe.

This one has an aluminum handle.

They have a micarta and a g10 handle for more $.

I've been wanting to try this blade profile....but not at full price for 7Cr17MoV.

If you're in the same boat...this seems like a good deal.

Gerber Gear Flatiron - Folding Cleaver Pocket Knife - Aluminum Grey Handle [30-001494], 3.5 in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDG7GSV/?tag=ff0d01-20

I've been wanting to try this blade profile....but not at full price for 7Cr17MoV.

Gerber Gear Flatiron - Folding Cleaver Pocket Knife - Aluminum Grey Handle [30-001494], 3.5 in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDG7GSV/?tag=ff0d01-20
What's it used for? Seems like a solution in search of a problem

Nice find!!
Ordered two.

What's it used for? Seems like a solution in search of a problem
I believe it's going to be in a similar vein as a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe profile...only stronger and without the delicate ultrathinned point.

That's pretty cool. I have a couple med size regular cleavers I love. Cleavers, ulus are underestimated.

I agree.

I was very tempted to try the Gerber Tritip...but it wasn't on sale...and I think I'd rather make it out of 1095.

Gerber TRI-Tip, Mini Cleaver Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath, Green Handle [30-001694] Amazon.com: Gerber TRI-Tip, Mini Cleaver Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath, Green Handle [30-001694]: Home Improvement

Agreed! I have Gerbers, I have more knives than stars in the sky. I like my gerbers, bucks etc but tough to sharpen. Get it done and a nice edge but I have met very few have the patience and REPITITION to finish a knife (oh it's good enough and they stop)

I prefer any carbon steel. 1095, 1060, O1 is a favorite. AND the damascus mixes. Something about that mix of steels making a microcosmic sawtooth. THEY CUT

The Gerbers showed up today!!
Thought about getting a cleaver blade for awhile now and at that price I figured why not?
Pleasantly surprised at the quality but then I know Gerber makes a pretty good knife.
Bought two,one for me and one for my Buddy.
Thanks for the heads up Missourian!!

Thought about getting a cleaver blade for awhile now and at that price I figured why not?
Pleasantly surprised at the quality but then I know Gerber makes a pretty good knife.
My pleasure. I got to mess around with it a little today. The wife says it is intimidating... and she's right. Strange that a knife with an abbreviated point would be more intimidating than a pointed knife.

I like the looks...but I also like the thickness of the blade.

My pleasure. I got to mess around with it a little today. The wife says it is intimidating... and she's right. Strange that a knife with an abbreviated point would be more intimidating than a pointed knife.

I like the looks...but I also like the thickness of the blade.

My only complaint is the blade lock is stiff as Hell!!!
I'm hoping it'll loosen up with use.

Use some CLP "breakfree" If that doesn't help nothing will. Blade lock is tension mostly, CLP will get rid of some friction but not tension. Worth a try.

It's the stiffness of the material that you have to flex that makes it so hard to close.
So I dont have high hopes of it loosening up but we'll see.
I may have to open up the one I got for my Buddy and see if it's the same way....and switch em if it's easier.;)
I want to hear from Missourian and see if his is the same way.

Use some CLP "breakfree" If that doesn't help nothing will. Blade lock is tension mostly, CLP will get rid of some friction but not tension. Worth a try.

It's the stiffness of the material that you have to flex that makes it so hard to close.
I may have to open up the one I got for my Buddy and see if it's the same way....and switch em if it's easier.;)
Mine is super smooth to open and easy to close...only the pocket clip is stiff...have to manually pull it out to clip it...but I'm not worried about losing it.

Mine is super smooth to open and easy to close...only the pocket clip is stiff...have to manually pull it out to clip it...but I'm not worried about losing it.

All right...hate to be a buddy fucker but I did pay for em.
Gonna open the other knife and see what it's like.

I looked at some reviews on this one and I saw a lot of broken tips.
Only reason I didn't get one because it looks like a pretty cool knife.

I looked at some reviews on this one and I saw a lot of broken tips.
Only reason I didn't get one because it looks like a pretty cool knife.
That wouldn't surprise me.

Unlike other knives...the tip will be used quite a bit in slicing operations.

But I'm not worried. I broke a Gerber once. They replaced it no questions asked.

I must have been mistaken; I can't find anything about the tips breaking on these.

Weird, because I sure do remember it...... but then again, my memory ain't what it used to be either.
Sorry guys.

Forum List

Back