Deadly Potatoes

Yarddog

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2014
Seems the spuds we all love have some hidden dangers. Well who would have thought a potato would need that many chemicals?

I do know of the one noted in the link. I was told of this recently which prompted me to look it up, and this may not be in all cases but with the big commercial farms they harvest them with machines that ride over the top of the potato crop and they have a production problem when the potato vines clog up the digging apparatus.
the solution in that case is to spray the vines with a chemical to make them shrivel up and die just before harvesting. Seems to me the potato it self would absorb this. It might be a good idea to buy only organic ones or if you eat commercialy grown potatoes, only eat the largest ones and not the little ones because the larger ones are pretty much done growing and might absorb less. Good luck USMB brothers and sisters! may you live long and always stay away from politics! ;)

The Health Risks of Eating Conventionally-Grown Potatoes

Seems crazy to me to spray to kill the vines for harvesting.....you're not supposed to harvest potatoes until the vines die off naturally. That top growth is what the 'seeds' need to mature to size.

But of course commercial operations are too impatient for the crop profits......but also why much of the potatoes on the market aren't very big

Seems crazy to me to spray to kill the vines for harvesting.....you're not supposed to harvest potatoes until the vines die off naturally. That top growth is what the 'seeds' need to mature to size.

But of course commercial operations are too impatient for the crop profits......but also why much of the potatoes on the market aren't very big

Yeah, they just cant wait. Commercial farming the way we do it here seems to be a double edged sword. They pump out a lot of product and feed a lot of people but you have to wonder about the uptick in odd illnesses like autism and many cancers we never used to have to this extent.

Militarized-Mr.-Potato-Head-coutresy-boingboing.com_.jpg

Seems the spuds we all love have some hidden dangers. Well who would have thought a potato would need that many chemicals?

I do know of the one noted in the link. I was told of this recently which prompted me to look it up, and this may not be in all cases but with the big commercial farms they harvest them with machines that ride over the top of the potato crop and they have a production problem when the potato vines clog up the digging apparatus.
the solution in that case is to spray the vines with a chemical to make them shrivel up and die just before harvesting. Seems to me the potato it self would absorb this. It might be a good idea to buy only organic ones or if you eat commercialy grown potatoes, only eat the largest ones and not the little ones because the larger ones are pretty much done growing and might absorb less. Good luck USMB brothers and sisters! may you live long and always stay away from politics! ;)

The Health Risks of Eating Conventionally-Grown Potatoes
Not only that but if you use potatoes to make your own vodka it could poison you if you don't distill it at least 5 or 6 times.

Lots of Russians in Russia die every year making their own vodka and not distilling it enough times.

Forum List

Back