DC Comics drops “the American way” from Superman slogan

Get over it. Only during WWII, the early '50s, and 1978 was that version of the motto used or remotely popular...

In fact, “Truth, Justice and the American Way” did not originate with the first Superman comic books by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Instead, the saying came from a “Superman” radio serial in the early 1940s, as a way to cheer on American military efforts in World War II. The “American Way” motto was revived for the “Adventures of Superman” TV series that aired in the 1950s — during the first days of the Cold War and the height of McCarthyism paranoia.

By the 1960s, the motto shifted to “truth, justice and freedom” on the kids cartoon series, “The New Adventures of Superman.” But arguably the most well known “Superman” adaptation — the 1978 feature film starring Christopher Reeve — revived the “American Way” version, with the Man of Steel speaking the words himself, further cementing it in the cultural consciousness as the superhero’s credo.

Since then, however, the “American Way” motto has fallen out of favor. On the 1993 live-action series “Lois & Clark,” Superman fought for “truth and justice” full stop, and in the 2006 movie “Superman Returns,” starring Brandon Routh, Daily Planet editor-in-chief Perry White (Frank Langella) blithely asks if Superman still fights for “truth, justice, all that stuff.”

Just eight months ago, an issue of DC Comics’ “Batman/Superman #16” presented Superman’s mantra as “Truth, Tolerance and Justice,” which writer Gene Luen Yang tweeted was meant as an homage to the mission Clark Kent’s father gives him in a 1948 “Superman” film serial.

It's easy to work yourself into a lather when you don't know the facts...

No one argued the facts and what you posted and quoted had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The topic is, now a days America is considered bad. It's systemically racist, it's oppressive, all of it's founding fathers were all people who raped and pilleged billions of people constantly all day everyday since they were born, and so on, and that now we have to erase American history.

This is simply about an example of where anything about america, even if it's positive" is being removed. This isn't about the origins of the slogan at all.

Of course they may be on to something.

Nowadays "the American Way" doesn't mean what it use to mean. It means stolen elections, massive debt, the welfare state, millions of Illegals, filthy wokeness and the loss of individual Liberty.

Unbelievable. Is America viewed by leftists and woke companies as so awful a country (the result of CRT indoctrination) that the very mention of its name must be avoided or erased?

New slogan is “truth, justice, and a better tomorrow.”

Sleepy Joe is the President of America nowadays, as a nation we now look like a bunch of boobs and a confederacy of dunces to the rest of the world.

I can certainly see why DC Comics wants to move away from associating one of their key figures away from America's world image.

It is their superhero. They couldn't make any changes if it wasn't.

(Activate Comic Book Geek Mode)

Well, it kind of is. There's a reason why certain things remain part of the Cultural Lexicon. Why Superman and Batman are still around 85 years after Seigel, Schuster and Kane created them, but no one remembers Hourman or the Spirit. It's because of the love and support of generations of fans.

When you get in there are reboot something, with no real regard for the source material, you are kind of slapping the fans in the face.

Now, I think I've pretty much established my progressive cred here, but sorry, Woke Gay Superman is kind of a bad idea. That's not the character we loved for the last 80 years. If you want a woke gay character, create a new character. I guess they have in this case, as the new "gay" superman is the son of the original and Lois Lane.

(SF Author Larry Niven wrote an essay called Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex, to describe why sex between Superman and Lois would be a bad idea. I'm sure it equally applies to Woke Gay Superman and his gay partner.)

Again, it’s what it signifies: Leftists are trying to convince normal Americans that the country is evil, and that the name shouldn’t even be used in a slogan.

Really?

Frankly, for most of the comic's run, Superman has been portrayed as the defender of the Earth, not just America... More to the point, it's an international character with an international following.

Unbelievable. Is America viewed by leftists and woke companies as so awful a country (the result of CRT indoctrination) that the very mention of its name must be avoided or erased?

I hear Charlie Brown is now celebrating Kwanzaa instead of Christmas. You better get on it.

I hear Charlie Brown is now celebrating Kwanzaa instead of Christmas. You better get on it.
With the lefties running things, that wouldn’t surprise me. Anything associated with the majority - whites, Christians - is being denigrated or erased.

With the lefties running things, that wouldn’t surprise me. Anything associated with the majority - whites, Christians - is being denigrated or erased.
Yeah, and Franklin is rioting at a BLM protest.

Get on it!

I think that the OP misses the good old days of comics. Yeah, these didn't age well.

1634480503710.png

1634480536710.png

1634480585149.png

Jeez, how tragic that a comic book changed a line. BTW, you do know that Superman is a work of fiction?

This has nothing to do with politics. This is all about DC comics having an international market and wanting to keep it.

Besides, exactly what is "the American way"?

Oh, I don't know... the Billions of dollars made by the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies would say otherwise.

The fact that these characters are so marketable, even with Warner not being able to produce a good movie yet, says a lot of people care about them.

If anything, Comic Books don't get the credit they deserve.

You can write a story, and call it literature.
You can draw a picture and call it art.

But you combine the two in a comic book or graphic novel, and it suddenly becomes childish?

And DC Comics has an international market. They want to keep it growing. That is the reason for the change.

Forum List

Back