Days of rage and marches for freedom: Refusing to hand over Jewish history

SherriMunnerlyn

VIP Member
Jun 11, 2012

"What we have seen in recent weeks, on the part of those threatened with removal in order to make way for this “end of history,” is a refusal to allow this progression to continue unimpeded. The*“day of rage”*against the*Prawer-Begin Plan, a policy designed to*relocate and concentrate the Negev’s Bedouin, and the*“marches for freedom”*undertaken by African asylum seekers, who in acts of civil disobedience simply*walked away from their desert prison camp*in order to protest outside the Knesset, are unprecedented events. They met audacity with audacity. They reminded us that while the civil rights violations taking place in Israel alienate us from the rest of the world, the actions that can be taken against them bring us back into the fold."

I have found myself reminded over and over and over in the past few days that Judaism is not Zionism and that in Judaism there is a true caring about justice.

One only has to watch that documentary about the Freedom Riders in the American Civil Rights Movement and see American Jews riding those busses to protest Segregation In the Pre Civil Rights American South to see the commitment to justice for all within Judaism.

And this article appearing on the website of Israeli Jews committed to justice in Palestine reminds me of this.

Days of rage and marches for freedom: Refusing to hand over Jewish history | +972 Magazine

Last edited:

"What we have seen in recent weeks, on the part of those threatened with removal in order to make way for this “end of history,” is a refusal to allow this progression to continue unimpeded. The*“day of rage”*against the*Prawer-Begin Plan, a policy designed to*relocate and concentrate the Negev’s Bedouin, and the*“marches for freedom”*undertaken by African asylum seekers, who in acts of civil disobedience simply*walked away from their desert prison camp*in order to protest outside the Knesset, are unprecedented events. They met audacity with audacity. They reminded us that while the civil rights violations taking place in Israel alienate us from the rest of the world, the actions that can be taken against them bring us back into the fold."

I have found myself reminded over and over and over in the past few days that Judaism is not Zionism and that in Judaism there is a true caring about justice.

One only has to watch that documentary about the Freedom Riders in the American Civil Rights Movement and see American Jews riding those bases to protest Segregation In the Pre Civil Rights American South to see the commitment to justice for all within Judaism.

And this article appearing on the website of Israeli Jews committed to justice in Palestine reminds me of this.

Days of rage and marches for freedom: Refusing to hand over Jewish history | +972 Magazine
Posted by Sherri the looney on Dec. 25.

Merry Ramadan, Fart-hard.

Forum List

Back