Dammit I hate Walmart.

We are 57 and 58 now.
Wanting to add riding bicycles to our exercise habits.. I want to buy a couple of reasonable bicycles to ride around neighborhoods for some exercise.
30 years ago, I can think of 4 mom and pop bike shops I knew that existed. On top of probably another 3 or 4 retail stores that sold them also.
They are all gone.
Now it is Walmart, Dicks sporting and 2 high end specialty bike shops. No one else sells bikes.
Forget the 2 high end local shops. I am not paying $1000 for a bicycle, and that is the cheap option.
Walmart bikes have a well earned notoriously bad reputation for literally having parts fall apart in as little as a few weeks.
The biggest problem is WalMart (same as Dicks and other large retailers) require their bulk purchased bikes to be nearly completely assembled. Then low paid, part time workers at Walmart finish the assembly. And check nothing.
There are 1000s of complaints against WalMart bikes. Many problems that were serious safety defects.

I am looking at bike shops 80 miles away even trying to find a reasonable bike that isn't assembled by morons.
About to give up.
If I wanted a bicycle, I'd load in Bing "want adult bicycle with solid rubber tires.' You never know what you're going to get unless you specify something about the last bike that annoyed you. Hope you get a really useful bike that will augment your good health, and when you cycle out in the open, the sun provides extra vitamin D through your skin, and you find you have more energy than in cloudy winters. The best of good luck in finding a real bicycle shop near where you are.

Wal-Mart is now selling used cars?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. If bikes are becoming scarce, I am not surprised considering how high the gas prices are continuing to be.
Just a fas
Wal-Mart is now selling used cars?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. If bikes are becoming scarce, I am not surprised considering how high the gas prices are continuing to be.
A fatuous remark. Don't take it seriously.

I despise HellMart. Stopped shopping there decades ago.

I found a really nice new Schwinn bike for $40.00, marked down from $250.00 at Target.
Of course, I'm a shopper, and I've worked retail before. I know how to find super markdowns in stores.

We are 57 and 58 now.
Wanting to add riding bicycles to our exercise habits.. I want to buy a couple of reasonable bicycles to ride around neighborhoods for some exercise.
30 years ago, I can think of 4 mom and pop bike shops I knew that existed. On top of probably another 3 or 4 retail stores that sold them also.
They are all gone.
Now it is Walmart, Dicks sporting and 2 high end specialty bike shops. No one else sells bikes.
Forget the 2 high end local shops. I am not paying $1000 for a bicycle, and that is the cheap option.
Walmart bikes have a well earned notoriously bad reputation for literally having parts fall apart in as little as a few weeks.
The biggest problem is WalMart (same as Dicks and other large retailers) require their bulk purchased bikes to be nearly completely assembled. Then low paid, part time workers at Walmart finish the assembly. And check nothing.
There are 1000s of complaints against WalMart bikes. Many problems that were serious safety defects.

I am looking at bike shops 80 miles away even trying to find a reasonable bike that isn't assembled by morons.
About to give up.
Craigslist offers better bikes, and you won't have to see the scenery at wal mart.

EdAelsDWoAAW5lr.jpeg

We're looking into getting some Trek bikes for exercise. My left knee is a shambles and I can't really run for any great distance and walking is, well, walking is boring.

I think we're looking at around $700-$800 per bike...

Bought a Mongoose 29" MTB from walmart years and years ago.
It's still going strong. Great bike! No issues.

Not sure if they were better then than they are now tho?

We are 57 and 58 now.
They are all gone.

About to give up.
Have you considered buying a perhaps poorly assembled bike at Walmart and doing a quick teardown/reassembly/inspection, so that you know it is roadworthy?

You are almost exactly my age. When we grew up every kid, certainly every boy, could fix his own bike.

I freakin' despise WAlmart. If i can cause them any loss of money...i'm happy. If i can cause them some grief. I"m happy. Couple days ago i went into the walmart to get some photos developed. They don't do that anymore. Well... what do i do now. The only place we know is 'this' place. Well i don't like that place but i guess i'll be going there since apparently...walmart has bitten off more than it can chew and they're dumping some of their departments. I will enjoy seeing them and the walmart grandkid heirs dwindle back into nothingness...just like Kmart...sears... A few others that now i can't even remember their names.

Today. dropped by Satan's Neighborhood market.....walmart of course and they're ripping out the self service check outs. Well..what's going on here i ask. Greeter/director/associate/older gentleman says, 'it's not going well, can't get people to work, customers don't like this and besides, you can't find anything in the store anyway'. I agreed and told him that i find it amusing and that Walmart deserves all the hell it gets. He agreed. Customers hate Walmart now and the employees have always hated it.

We are 57 and 58 now.
They are all gone.

About to give up.
If pride doesn't get in your way get your ass to a thrift shop. You can always add an after-market wide seat as a small DIY project.

If that fails watch the local obituaries and shop the yard sales that follow. But beware any bikes that might have been part of the origin of the occasion. The frames are sometimes bent.

We are 57 and 58 now.
They are all gone.

About to give up.
Buy the walmart bike and then go over it yourself. Problem solved.

Ive ridden more miles than i can think of on a good roadbike with a pack of experts. I got a bit car panicked to and from or during long rides.

I quit. I went 100 % mountain bike on trails. Much better.

Get a good bike. Lightweight with good parts. You still hace to maintain it.

If you just want to ride 3 blocks flat to park? Walking is safer and not that bad.

Buy the walmart bike and then go over it yourself. Problem solved.

The problem is most dont know how to adjust a derailer or brakes.
Although with the internet you can learn right quick.
There's a guy in my area that will come and pick up your bike and bring it back all properly tuned and ready to go for a very reasonable price.

The problem is most dont know how to adjust a derailer or brakes.
Although with the internet you can learn right quick.
There's a guy in my area that will come and pick up your bike and bring it back all properly tuned and ready to go for a very reasonable price.

Agreed. Its easier on a good bike with good components. But even then?

We're looking into getting some Trek bikes for exercise. My left knee is a shambles and I can't really run for any great distance and walking is, well, walking is boring.

I think we're looking at around $700-$800 per bike...
Canon Shooter, I was told to drink more water to ease my arthritic knee. It sure helped, and it didn't cost anything. Hope that helps. I'm sorry your knee is hurting you. Prayers up. :thup:

I am a 73-year-old biker, and have bought bikes from various sources (I get tired of them after a few years). I blush to admit that I have a Himiway Cruiser, an 85 pound Ebike that i "love."

You can get a decent bike for $500 at Dick's. No problem. Further, I have always been impressed with the bike knowledge of the people who work in the bike departments at Dick's. Also, I've had good luck getting bikes on Craigslist, but part of that is that I know exactly what I want. Never paid more than $200.

Agreed. Its easier on a good bike with good components. But even then?

My first real job was in a bike shop as were the next several jobs.
I finally got out of it because it was obviously not a good career choice. I stayed in it as long as I did for sponsors to support my racing habit.
A buddy of mine and myself went around to all the box stores and assembled bikes as a side gig for 5 bucks a bike.
No matter what you did those bikes would never operate properly for any length of time,the components were just to cheaply made.

Forum List

Back