Curtis Sliwa plans to crack down on crime as NYC mayor

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
While I probably would not have recognized Sliwa in public, I recognized his name immediately and of course he's wearing the Guardian Angel's trademark red beret.

I found the article to be a very interesting though especially the part where he's explaining that the police in New York City are now "reduced" to having to go out and shop around for liability insurance on a $42,000/hr salary for their first 5 years out of the police academy (and who can find housing there on that salary). The numbers don't seem to quite make sense to me unless there is something I'm missing.

New York City Republican mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa discussed his platform and values on "Fox News Live" Sunday. Sliwa said he's determined to crack down on rising crime in the city and is hearing "crickets" from Democratic opponent Eric Adams.​
CURTIS SLIWA: We are the largest city in America with the slowest recovery rate, and all of these politicians, professionals, the wonks, they have no idea. They haven't made the connection yet.
The reason people aren't flocking back to work in the empty, high rise buildings that are a ghost town, the reason people who are not visiting, the reason the tourists are shying away from New York City is because of the crime; crime in the streets, crime in the subways, crime in the park, crime everywhere. And that needs to be addressed.
And I have been consistent in fighting crime since I started the Guardian Angels in 1979, I obviously helped Rudy Giuliani get elected. His mandate was law and order in 1993. I learned a lot from what he did to take the city from being the crime capital, the murder capital of America, to becoming the largest safe city in America. And it starts by putting back qualified immunity.
Now, this is a difficult argument because most of the taxpayers don't understand what's happened here and it's happening across the country. Our police officers, who risk their life each and every day, are having stripped from them the protections that we, the taxpayers, afford for all civil servants, elected officials, judges, district attorneys.
Now, police officers have to go out and prospect for their own police malpractice insurance policy, the way doctors and lawyers do in private practice. Now, how can a police officer, who will graduate the academy earning about $42,000 a year for the first five years in the NYPD, even find affordable housing? How is he or she going to be able to afford an actual personal policy for malpractice as a police officer?
So what you've done is you've made it even twice as hard for the police to go out there and do their job. I want to refund the police. I want to hire 3,000 more police, and I want to take the handcuffs off the police, the heroes...
WATCH THE FULL INTERVIEW

Of course, Mr. S. cannot win in Dem-controlled New York City.

But it's nice to fantasize what a great mayor he would make.

His Guardian Angels did a great job by helping to clean up that city back in the day.

I also have read that he and his group were recently planning to patrol Chinatown to protect the people there from certain individuals!

Sadly nothing will come of it. He is a very interesting person----Polish by heritage ---he is a man that understood the problems of his own community and its short comings----I "met him" ---well
was there when he had a bit of a semiformal interaction with the victims of the Crown Heights
riots circa 1991. He had a very deep understanding of the issues as----WHAT? a polish kid in
Brooklyn, He can never be elected----he despises criminal violence against ANYONE

While I probably would not have recognized Sliwa in public, I recognized his name immediately and of course he's wearing the Guardian Angel's trademark red beret.

I found the article to be a very interesting though especially the part where he's explaining that the police in New York City are now "reduced" to having to go out and shop around for liability insurance on a $42,000/hr salary for their first 5 years out of the police academy (and who can find housing there on that salary). The numbers don't seem to quite make sense to me unless there is something I'm missing.

New York City Republican mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa discussed his platform and values on "Fox News Live" Sunday. Sliwa said he's determined to crack down on rising crime in the city and is hearing "crickets" from Democratic opponent Eric Adams.​
CURTIS SLIWA: We are the largest city in America with the slowest recovery rate, and all of these politicians, professionals, the wonks, they have no idea. They haven't made the connection yet.
The reason people aren't flocking back to work in the empty, high rise buildings that are a ghost town, the reason people who are not visiting, the reason the tourists are shying away from New York City is because of the crime; crime in the streets, crime in the subways, crime in the park, crime everywhere. And that needs to be addressed.
And I have been consistent in fighting crime since I started the Guardian Angels in 1979, I obviously helped Rudy Giuliani get elected. His mandate was law and order in 1993. I learned a lot from what he did to take the city from being the crime capital, the murder capital of America, to becoming the largest safe city in America. And it starts by putting back qualified immunity.
Now, this is a difficult argument because most of the taxpayers don't understand what's happened here and it's happening across the country. Our police officers, who risk their life each and every day, are having stripped from them the protections that we, the taxpayers, afford for all civil servants, elected officials, judges, district attorneys.
Now, police officers have to go out and prospect for their own police malpractice insurance policy, the way doctors and lawyers do in private practice. Now, how can a police officer, who will graduate the academy earning about $42,000 a year for the first five years in the NYPD, even find affordable housing? How is he or she going to be able to afford an actual personal policy for malpractice as a police officer?
So what you've done is you've made it even twice as hard for the police to go out there and do their job. I want to refund the police. I want to hire 3,000 more police, and I want to take the handcuffs off the police, the heroes...
WATCH THE FULL INTERVIEW

$42 grand an hour?? That's a handsome salary! Sign me up

WATCH THE FULL INTERVIEW
His biggest mistake so far has been to be seen on-stage with Rudy The-Political-Kiss-of-Death Giuliani...

Sadly nothing will come of it. He is a very interesting person----Polish by heritage ---he is a man that understood the problems of his own community and its short comings----I "met him" ---well
was there when he had a bit of a semiformal interaction with the victims of the Crown Heights
riots circa 1991. He had a very deep understanding of the issues as----WHAT? a polish kid in
Brooklyn,
Oh my gosh, sorry. That should say $42,000/annual salary. The editing period has passed so I can correct it, thanks for pointing it out though :)
you needed help in FIGURING that point out?

WATCH THE FULL INTERVIEW
Maybe he should go national and try to save the GOP from the mentally ill orange turd.

Here's an idea. Don't use your badge and gun to indiscriminately beat and kill innocent people, and your insurance rates will go way down.
Here's a better idea...

When a cop gives you a command during the course of a stop or arrest, obey that command, immediately... resist violently and you get a nice little toe-tag.

As we have seen over and over again, obeying a cop’s command will not save your life. In video after video, the police shoot suspects who are obeying police commands.

The issue is not the behaviour of the suspects, the problem is the behaviour of the police. American police or treating citizens like an enemy combatants in the field, instead of people in need of assistance. They must be “neutralized”.

Here's an idea. Don't use your badge and gun to indiscriminately beat and kill innocent people, and your insurance rates will go way down.
Here's a better idea...

When a cop gives you a command during the course of a stop or arrest, obey that command, immediately... resist violently and you get a nice little toe-tag.

As we have seen over and over again, obeying a cop’s command will not save your life. In video after video, the police shoot suspects who are obeying police commands.

The issue is not the behaviour of the suspects, the problem is the behaviour of the police. American police or treating citizens like an enemy combatants in the field, instead of people in need of assistance. They must be “neutralized”.
This is just an outright lie.

Here's a better idea...

Are you seriously unaware that death is not a lawful punishment for disobedience, even to a cop?

7 deaths in 50,000 violent encounters is zip
This is another liberal bullshit statistically vapid hoax
Yes, your madeup stat is, though not quite "liberal". Just false.
We know you need it to be so your reality can be made to match what you wish and feel
Very very very few black people die while encountering police. Most self croak like Floyd did. The suspension of reality you operate from makes you feel otherwise but that does not change the stats nor facts

Forum List

Back