Current 2016 Presidential Polling in Florida

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
hillary-clinton-400x400.jpg

florida.jpg

This is somewhat a continuation of this thread from six months ago, but there is so much new data, it's just better to start fresh.

Of the nine largest states in the nation (California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Georgia and Michigan), which currently account for 50.26% of our total population, there can be no doubt that the closest and most fought-out electoral battleground state is Florida.

Since 2013, now into the month of July, 2014, there have been 13 polls taken of Florida vis-a-vis the 2016 election, pitting Hillary Clinton (D) against a field of potential GOP candidates. Within those 13 polls, there have now been 46 individual one-on-one matchups, and Hillary has decisively won all 46 of those matchups.

Two days ago, on July 22, 2014, SUSA released a large poll from Florida.
Today, Quinnipiac released a large poll from Florida.

The results are mostly very similar to each other, and in one case, they are absolutely identical to each other.

The Quinnipiac poll can be compared to a complete poll from May 1, 2014.
The SUSA poll can be compared to two smaller SUSA polls, from July 7th and from June 10th, 2014, but only concerning two candidates.

So, I am going to present the latest of polls in two ways.

First, Quinnipiac alongside SUSA:

Quinnipiac, July 24, 2014:

Florida (FL) Poll - July 24, 2014 - Obama In Slump, But Clinton Sc | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

Survey group: 1,251 RV. MoE= +/-2.8

SUSA, July 22, 2014:

SurveyUSA Election Poll #21475

Survey group: 836 RV. MoE= +/-3.5

Qpiac: Hillary Clinton (D) 49 / Jeb Bush 42
SUSA: Hillary Clinton (D) 47 / Jeb Bush 41

Margin: Qpiac - Clinton +7 / SUSA Clinton +6
Margin disparity: Qpiac Clinton +1

Qpiac: Hillary Clinton (D) 51 / Paul Ryan 38
SUSA: no Clinton /Ryan matchup taken

Margin: Qpiac - Clinton +13 / SUSA N/A

Qpiac: Hillary Clinton (D) 53 / Mario Rubio 39
SUSA: Hillary Clinton (D) 53 / Mario Rubio 39

Margin: Qpiac - Clinton +14 / SUSA Clinton +14
Margin disparity: NULL (identical margins)

Qpiac: Hillary Clinton (D) 53 / Rand Paul 37
SUSA: Hillary Clinton (D) 46 / Rand Paul 42

Margin: Qpiac - Clinton +16 / SUSA Clinton +4
Margin disparity: Qpiac Clinton +12

Qpiac: Hillary Clinton (D) 54 / Chris Christie 33
SUSA: Hillary Clinton (D) 49 / Chris Christie 38

Margin: Qpiac - Clinton +21 / SUSA Clinton +11
Margin disparity: Qpiac Clinton +10

So, just comparing the two polls from independent-from-each-other pollsters, there are some similarities:

-in both polls, Jeb Bush comes the closest to Hillary Clinton and he is the only GOP candidate to come within single-digits, albeit high single-digits, of her.

-in both polls, Chris Christie fares the worse and after checking, 2014 is the first time in 26 years (the 1988 Bush vs. Dukakis election) that I have seen a Florida poll showing a candidate at +20 or more over another candidate. It's now happened twice in Florida, and twice for Hillary. Hillary Clinton's margin over Chris Christie in the Qpiac poll is an astounding +21, really quite unheard of in this state.

-the Hillary Clinton / Mario Rubio toplines and margins are absolutely identical to each other: 53/39, Clinton +14.

-in 4 of 5 Qpiac matchups, Hillary is over the 50% mark.
-in 2 of 4 SUSA matchups, Hillary is over the 50% mark.

Florida is usually a state where both candidates stay in the low to mid fourties until primary season, and then, usually one of the two gets closer to the 50 mark.

There are also disparities:

-again, vis-a-vis Chris Christie, Clinton is at +21 in the Qpiac poll, but at +11 (still a landslide margin) in the SUSA poll. That is a very, very large disparity, actually, too large. The average of those two polls would be Clinton +16, which, btw, was exactly the Clinton/Christie margin of the Qpiac poll from January 2014.

-against Rand Paul, Qpiac shows Clinton +16 (a very large landslide margin) but the SUSA poll shows Clinton +4 (almost within the MoE). This is an even larger disparity, and really should not be. The average would be: Clinton +10.

Let's dig deeper into the internals, into the female vote:

Qpiac: Clinton 56 / Bush 36, Clinton +20
Qpiac: Clinton 58 / Rubio 33, Clinton +25
Qpiac: Clinton 58 /Ryan 32, Clinton +26
Qpiac: Clinton 61 / Paul 29, Clinton +32
Qpiac: Clinton 61 / Paul 28, Clinton +33

So, according to Qpiac, Hillary Clinton is beating the GOP in the female vote by a minimum of +20 and a maxium of +33.

Historical context:

In 2008, nationally, then-candidate Obama (D) won the female vote by +13, 56/43:

National Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

In Florida, Obama won the female vote by only +5, 52/47:

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

However, female voters were 53% of the Florida electorate in 2008.

Obama won the state in 2008 by +2.81%.

Fast forward to 2012. In 2012, President Obama won re-election nationally and took the female vote by +11, 55/44:

Presidential Race - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

(So, he lost 2% on margin in the female voter over 2008).

In Florida, Obama actually improved on his statistic in the female vote, winning it by +7, 53/46

female voters were 55% of the Florida electorate in 2008.

(So, while Obama lost 2% on margin in the female vote nationally, he gained 2% on the female vote in Florida).

Obama won the state in 2012 by +0.88%.

Sidenote: the fact that the female vote spiked in 2012 over 2008 and that Obama improved his margin among women voters but his statewide margin shrank by 2 points over 2008 can only mean that he, while having improved upon the female vote in Florida, took a major hit in the male vote at the same time.

The point I am making here should be crystal-clear: if a Democrat can win the state of Florida in a close presidential election with only between +5 and +7 in the female vote (well under the national margin in the female vote), then it is easy to see why the race for a Democrat would win a large landslide-margin in any state if she is winning by +20 or more in the female vote. It's really simple math.

This is the major warning sign for the GOP going into 2016.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the Qpiac poll. Let's compare it to the one before it.

BOTH QPIACS:

Quinnipiac, July 24, 2014:

Florida (FL) Poll - July 24, 2014 - Obama In Slump, But Clinton Sc | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

Survey group: 1,251 RV. MoE= +/-2.8

-and-

Quinnipiac, May 1, 2014:

Florida (FL) Poll - May 1, 2014 - Jeb Bush Is Top Dog In Florida | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

Survey group: 1,413 RV. MoE= +/-2.6

In terms of poll group size and MoE, the two polls are evenly matched with each other.

(The older Qpiac values are in parentheses)

Hillary Clinton (D) 49 (49) / Jeb Bush 42 (41)
Margin: Clinton +7 (+8)
Margin difference: latest Qpiac Bush, J +1

Hillary Clinton (D) 51 (56) / Paul Ryan 38 (36)
Margin: Clinton +13 (+20)
Margin difference: latest Qpiac Ryan +7

Hillary Clinton (D) 53 (52) / Mario Rubio 39 (40)
Margin: Clinton +14 (+12)
Margin difference: latest Qpiac Clinton +2

Hillary Clinton (D) 53 (55) / Rand Paul 37 (37)
Margin: Clinton +16 (+18)
Margin difference: latest Qpiac Paul +2

Hillary Clinton (D) 54 (52) / Chris Christie 33 (34)
Margin: Clinton +21 (+18)
Margin difference: latest Qpiac Clinton +3

Now, here is where comparing gets fun, for actually, compared to May, 2014, Bush, Ryan and Paul have actually improved their statistic somewhat, but losing by a landslide is still losing by a landslide is still losing by a landslide. Meanwhile, Clinton improved her statistic over Christie and Rubio, but a shift of +2 or +3 means that only 1 to 1.5 percent of the polling group has shifted sides, which could just as likely be some statistical noise - so, both Clinton shifts, plus the Paul and Bush shift essentially mean very little. But the Ryan shift is noticeable - he closed the margin between himself and Clinton by 7 points, and that is worthy of attention.

Now, these are just two polls, and more are to come, but they essentially continue exactly what we have seen in the 11 polls before these two: that Hillary Clinton is handily winning in one of the 5 absolute key battlegrounds in the Union, and a state that is absolutely essential for a GOP win nationally. Face it: without Florida in it's column, the GOP will not win.

Here is the electoral bio I did of Florida at the end of 2011, going into the 2012 election (it will be updated at the end of 2015, looking into 2016):

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: Rank 27 / 25: Florida

There is a lot of data there that might really interest people, but bring a cup of coffee with you, there is a lot of data to sift through.

How did the pollsters do in Florida in 2012?

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: The moment of truth: how did the pollsters do?

And very specifically, in terms of Florida:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...0U3aFBuT09zQ2xXQ29fTjlJRlE&usp=sharing#gid=18

There were 113 polls of Florida in 2012, the end polling average pointed to Romney +0.61 in the final week average of polls. Obama won by +0.88, so the difference is 1.49 points, well within any MoE.

The pollsters who nailed it in Florida in the last week, with Obama +1:

PPP (D), Grove (D), Quinnipiac

The two pollsters that were the most off:

Insider Advantage: Romney +5 / Mason-Dixon Romney +6. It is interesting to note that these pollsters hide their results behind a paywall and do not release any internals.

I am pointing this out because some people could say "bah, just a couple of polls showing Hillary ahead in Florida, big deal", and were it just one poll, I would agree. And indeed, in Florida, there was one pollster in 2012 who was so ridiculously off (Foster-McCollum), I doubt we will hear much from them again.

However, in counting the 46 matchups to date in Florida, in 22 of them, Hillary won with a double-digit margin, way outside of the MoE.

For further information, here the complete presidential electoral (statewide) data from Florida, in one excel chart:

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/compare.php?year=2012&fips=12&f=1&off=0&elect=0&type=state

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FACIT: We have a long way to go until election day, but the polling data coming out of Florida (and Ohio, for that matter) should be of great concern for the GOP. Right now, it's Hillary's race to lose in Florida, and if these numbers hold, then the state would not even really be a battleground in 2016.

Last edited:
  • Banned
A friendly shout out to some folks who may really enjoy the information in the OP: [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION] [MENTION=45886]Mad_Cabbie[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=21679]william the wie[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=37250]aaronleland[/MENTION] [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] [MENTION=30999]daws101[/MENTION] [MENTION=46449]Delta4Embassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=33449]BreezeWood[/MENTION] [MENTION=46750]Knightfall[/MENTION] [MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION] [MENTION=20594]Mr Clean[/MENTION] [MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION] [MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION] [MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION] [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] [MENTION=21524]oldfart[/MENTION] [MENTION=46193]Thx[/MENTION] [MENTION=20614]candycorn[/MENTION] [MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION] [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION] [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION] [MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION] [MENTION=11278]editec[/MENTION] [MENTION=22983]Flopper[/MENTION] [MENTION=46136]dreolin[/MENTION] [MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION] [MENTION=48060]guno[/MENTION] [MENTION=42946]Howey[/MENTION] [MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=48010]Machaut[/MENTION] [MENTION=39530]AceRothstein[/MENTION] [MENTION=25493]kiwiman127[/MENTION] [MENTION=42949]bendog[/MENTION] [MENTION=49463]PoliticalTorch[/MENTION] [MENTION=39852]TheOldSchool[/MENTION] [MENTION=45739]Jughead[/MENTION] [MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION]

Anyone who doesn't want to be on this occasional mention list: just let me know, I will drop the name immediately. If you want onto the list, just let me know. I really am trying to make this a totally non-partisan list.

Thanks,

-Stat

Folks, please do not quote this posting, otherwise, you send out the mention list again. Thanks.

• Banned
I think the fact she leads Jeb and Marco Rubio is very telling. Floridians know who these guys are and apparently don't want to give them a promotion.

Jeb Bush comes the closest, at -6 or -7.

But Rubio is way underwater.

And Christie has sunk to a point where I can imagine his advisors mulling whether he should run at all.

The names missing from these polls that I personally would have like to have seen in the mix as well:

Mike Huckabee
Rick Perry
Ben Carson
Rick Santorum

But polling is expensive and most polls poll a maximum of 6 candidate matchups.

• Banned
Disclaimer for [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION]:

"Hillary Clinton is not going to be the Democratic Nominee in 2016"

:lol:

:rofl:

:eusa_eh: Are you sure?!?

I hope you're right. But I'm concerned :eusa_shifty:

The numbers are what they are.

And Hillary is making all the moves that a "non-candidate" makes when he/she is definitely planning to run.

The current field of republicans are dismal.

If they want the Tea party monkey off their backs, they'd let Rand Paul run.

That would be the second Goldwater moment.

so One state make's it a shoo in?

when are elections, a year and half away

good grief

I do find it funny you all passed over Hillary and made her a LOSER to put in the MAN community agitator nobody ever heard of, now you want Hillary...
so much for loyalty eh?

Last edited:
...and thanks to his pro immigration stance will never get the Republican nod.

I think the fact she leads Jeb and Marco Rubio is very telling. Floridians know who these guys are and apparently don't want to give them a promotion.

And Christie has sunk to a point where I can imagine his advisors mulling whether he should run at all.

The names missing from these polls that I personally would have like to have seen in the mix as well:

Mike Huckabee
Rick Perry
Ben Carson
Rick Santorum

I think Christies moment has probably passed.

Carson is just the token black guy Republicans put up there to say , "We're not racist!" and Carson isn't as batshit crazy as Herman Cain or Alan Keyes, but he's not a contender.

Santorum's only value was as a "not Romney" for evangelicals who just could not bring themselves to support a Mormon. He has no future. ..

Huckabee has too many dead bodies attached to people he let out of prison because they said "Jesus" sincerely enough. I don't think he survives that.

That leaves Rick Perry. Rick might be viable if he can keep his profile high and if he can get to 2016 without saying something really stupid. The problem is he now has "Quayle's Disease". No matter how many smart things you say, they just want you to say something stupid.

(not to be confused with Palin's Disease,where you just say stupid shit and no one cares.)

The China crash is catching up with us according to new home sales. The McKinsey prediction that US productivity will price China out of many markets seems to be understated. But so far with the exception of NYS the Blues are getting stuck with the bills and the Reds with the revenues of these changes. Even with the unprepossessing GOP candidates the Fed taper looks like it will save them.

Mike Huckabee
Rick Perry
Ben Carson
Rick Santorum

I think Christies moment has probably passed.

Carson is just the token black guy Republicans put up there to say , "We're not racist!" and Carson isn't as batshit crazy as Herman Cain or Alan Keyes, but he's not a contender.

Santorum's only value was as a "not Romney" for evangelicals who just could not bring themselves to support a Mormon. He has no future. ..

Huckabee has too many dead bodies attached to people he let out of prison because they said "Jesus" sincerely enough. I don't think he survives that.

That leaves Rick Perry. Rick might be viable if he can keep his profile high and if he can get to 2016 without saying something really stupid. The problem is he now has "Quayle's Disease". No matter how many smart things you say, they just want you to say something stupid.

(not to be confused with Palin's Disease,where you just say stupid shit and no one cares.)

That's a pretty big 'if'.
Jus' sayin'...​

The China crash is catching up with us according to new home sales. The McKinsey prediction that US productivity will price China out of many markets seems to be understated. But so far with the exception of NYS the Blues are getting stuck with the bills and the Reds with the revenues of these changes. Even with the unprepossessing GOP candidates the Fed taper looks like it will save them.

What???

Mike Huckabee
Rick Perry
Ben Carson
Rick Santorum

To win the nomination, you need money and infrastructure. Everything else is just smoke.

These are the four Republicans who are currently raising money and building an infrastructure;

Jeb Bush
Chris Christie
Rand Paul
Scott Walker

The nominee will be one of those four until someone else also gets serious about running a campaign.

Mike Huckabee
Rick Perry
Ben Carson
Rick Santorum

To win the nomination, you need money and infrastructure. Everything else is just smoke.

These are the four Republicans who are currently raising money and building an infrastructure;

Jeb Bush
Chris Christie
Rand Paul
Scott Walker

The nominee will be one of those four until someone else also gets serious about running a campaign.

True, but it's entirely possible for another candidate or two to start building infrastructure as well, like Ted Cruz and most definitely Mike Huckabee.

Interestingly enough, there has been very little polling Clinton vs. Walker, but in every matchup that has happened, for instance, in Wisconsin, a couple of times nationally, also a number of times in Iowa, she has beat him handily.

Forum List

Back