Cure for HIV, Ebola, Flu

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
Compound LJ001 Acts Like Antibiotic Against Viruses | Popular Science

Unlike antibiotics, which kill many different types of bacteria, antiviral drugs for the most part need to target individual, specific viruses. A drug that attacks a multitude of viruses -- an antibiotic for viruses, effectively -- would be a significant boon for medicine. And a group of researchers led by UCLA scientists just may have discovered exactly that.

Writing in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers describe an early proof-of-concept study on a chemical they call LJ001. The chemical attacks the structure of viruses themselves, and may potentially cure a wide swath of disease ranging from influenza to AIDS to Ebola.

For all the complexity of the diseases they cause, viruses are very simple; just a bunch of DNA in a lipid sack. LJ001 attacks that lipid sack, as well as the lipid membrane of healthy cells. But whereas the healthy cells can easily repair the damage, the inert viruses simply fall apart.

This could be the biggest discovery in medicine since the development of penicillin. Most impressively, LJ001 successfully cured mice of ebola, one of the most lethal diseases known to man, without any side effects.

The downside? It only works on lipid-enveloped viruses.

The UCLA Aids Institute has already applied for a patent on the compound.

Last edited:
Don't get too carried away. Viruses have a way of willing themselves past these temporary obstacles. Enjoy it while it lasts, but it's not permanent

Don't get too carried away. Viruses have a way of willing themselves past these temporary obstacles. Enjoy it while it lasts, but it's not permanent
Many bacteria have developed resistance to penicillin, but that doesn't make the discovery any less significant.

Unlike antibiotics, which kill many different types of bacteria, antiviral drugs for the most part need to target individual, specific viruses. A drug that attacks a multitude of viruses -- an antibiotic for viruses, effectively -- would be a significant boon for medicine. And a group of researchers led by UCLA scientists just may have discovered exactly that.

Writing in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers describe an early proof-of-concept study on a chemical they call LJ001. The chemical attacks the structure of viruses themselves, and may potentially cure a wide swath of disease ranging from influenza to AIDS to Ebola.

For all the complexity of the diseases they cause, viruses are very simple; just a bunch of DNA in a lipid sack. LJ001 attacks that lipid sack, as well as the lipid membrane of healthy cells. But whereas the healthy cells can easily repair the damage, the inert viruses simply fall apart.

This could be the biggest discovery in medicine since the development of penicillin. Most impressively, LJ001 successfully cured mice of ebola, one of the most lethal diseases known to man, without any side effects.

You're not too bright, You missed what is the most pertinent part of the hyped up story: "...may potentially cure a wide swath of disease ranging from influenza to AIDS to Ebola"

May. Potentially.

I've seen this kind of nonsense rear it's head in headlines since the days... with a local hospital and with a study sponsored by and monitored by the State of MA., and Harvard University.

influenza...AIDS...Ebola: I don't know enough about influenza... and Ebola---all die of it....HIV/AIDS. It resides in the cells of people infected with it. It crosses the blood brain barrier. I don't see how this 'may' potentially' rises to serious consideration of a discussion of a cure for HIV/AIDS.

Last edited:
Many bacteria have developed resistance to penicillin, but that doesn't make the discovery any less significant.

you obviously are clueless.

:eusa_whistle:

Even better, the compound — a rhodanine derivative that the researchers have dubbed LJ001 — could be effective against new, yet-to-be discovered enveloped viruses.

Last edited:
Lee and his collaborators developed their concept of LJ001 as interfering only with enveloped viruses after testing 23 pathogens in cell culture. Studies of nine of those agents — including Ebola virus, Nipah virus and Rift Valley fever virus — required high- or maximum-containment facilities and were carried out in the biosafety level 3 and 4 laboratories of the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (UTMB) and USAMRIID.

"Once we started testing more and more, we figured out that it was only targeting the enveloped viruses," said Alexander N. Freiberg, director of UTMB's Robert E. Shope, M.D., Laboratory.

The Shope BSL4 lab was also used for mouse experiments with Ebola and Rift Valley fever virus that further confirmed the protective value of LJ001.

While the exact mechanism of viral membrane inactivation is unknown, the researchers are pursuing some promising leads that could answer that question.

Additionally, the drug does not appear to be toxic in vitro or in animals when used at effective antiviral concentrations.

###

UCLA has filed for a patent on the use of the compound. The study is available in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences at A broad-spectrum antiviral targeting entry of enveloped viruses ? PNAS.
we shall see, but if the history of 'discoveries' of anti-viral therapy and cures is to be taken into consideration---I'd bet against the hype and the press releases

This is so cool. Great solutions sometimes are pretty simple like this.

Pretty much puts paid to a host of problems.

And I have to admit, I thought this kind of thing was impossible.

Be cool to see where it goes in three or four years though

I wish I could come back in a couple hundred years and see the medical breakthroughs. I assume at that point people could live forever if they were willing to their body and its part replaced often enough

You're not too bright, You missed what is the most pertinent part of the hyped up story: "...may potentially cure a wide swath of disease ranging from influenza to AIDS to Ebola"

May. Potentially.

I've seen this kind of nonsense rear it's head in headlines since the days... with a local hospital and with a study sponsored by and monitored by the State of MA., and Harvard University.

influenza...AIDS...Ebola: I don't know enough about influenza... and Ebola---all die of it....HIV/AIDS. It resides in the cells of people infected with it. It crosses the blood brain barrier. I don't see how this 'may' potentially' rises to serious consideration of a discussion of a cure for HIV/AIDS.

Nobody has ever died from AIDS

So healthy cells would repair themselves, would that mean unhealthy cells, say like cancerous cells, wouldn't?

☭proletarian☭;2213209 said:

May. Potentially.

Nobody has ever died from AIDS

Most all the people who had AIDS before the latest drug therapy, died. Stop playing games. People died from complications of opportunistic infections---and more. HIV therapies fight the replication of the virus. The new compound will fight the virus in different ways. Lab results of all attempts to eradicate HIV have failed when put to tests in the real world.

Don't go out and bet the house on this. That said, the new compound shows great promise for fighting viruses.

May. Potentially.

I've read the PNAS article, and this series of studies is sound. They've already followed up with animal studies, and the results thus far are positive.

A broad-spectrum antiviral targeting entry of enveloped viruses : PNAS

As stated in the journal article, it integrates into and prevents the fusion of viral lipid membranes to mammalian cells.

If viral particles cannot fuse to mammalian cells, they cannot spread, and so can be eliminated through the normal turnover of cells. HIV infects T-cells, and so to hypothetically cure HIV, you need only flood the blood and lymph with a combination of LJ001 and the cytokines which induce T-cell turnover (such as TNF).

And these particles are far too small to be hindered by the blood-brain barrier.

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;2213208 said:

In layman's terms, that means what, as far as application and effectiveness are concerned?

A group of researchers led by a team from UCLA and including others from the University of Texas at Galveston, Harvard University, Cornell University and the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases may have found just such a compound.

In a proof-of-principle study published online in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers have identified an antiviral small molecule that is effective against numerous viruses, including HIV-1, influenza A, filoviruses, poxviruses, arenaviruses, bunyaviruses, paramyxoviruses and flaviviruses. These viruses cause some of the world's deadliest diseases, such as AIDS, Nipah virus encephalitis, Ebola, hemorrhagic fever and Rift Valley fever.

Even better, the compound — a rhodanine derivative that the researchers have dubbed LJ001 — could be effective against new, yet-to-be discovered enveloped viruses.

there is no downside. That is unless one is hyping it up to be what it is not.

Course not. But that doesnt really answer my question does it? I'd like to know what it does to cancer cells as they are unhealthy.

You aren't curious at all?
As cancer cells are immortal, and able to heal themselves far faster than normal human cells, this treatment is completely useless against most tumors.

Sorry.

May. Potentially.

I've read the PNAS article, and this series of studies is sound. They've already followed up with animal studies, and the results thus far are positive.

A broad-spectrum antiviral targeting entry of enveloped viruses : PNAS

As stated in the journal article, it integrates into and prevents the fusion of viral lipid membranes to mammalian cells.

If viral particles cannot fuse to mammalian cells, they cannot spread, and so can be eliminated through the normal turnover of cells. HIV infects T-cells, and so to hypothetically cure HIV, you need only flood the blood and lymph with a combination of LJ001 and the cytokines which induce T-cell turnover (such as TNF).

And these particles are far too small to be hindered by the blood-brain barrier.

If the articles are current, the fact that we are talking about "an early proof-of-concept study" calls for serious and responsible people to restrain themselves from pronouncements like the press headlines.

If I had a hundred dollars for every time I heard about a potential, let alone promised cure for cancer or HIV/AIDS, I could buy a home in Malibu.

Course not. But that doesnt really answer my question does it? I'd like to know what it does to cancer cells as they are unhealthy.

You aren't curious at all?
As cancer cells are immortal, and able to heal themselves far faster than normal human cells, this treatment is completely useless against most tumors.

Sorry.

Thank you for asking my question.

They are immortal? You learn something new everyday.

Forum List

Back