Cultural Appropriation in the Movies/TV

James Bond has been around since 1962, yet he has hardly aged a bit. Sometime it looks like he even gets younger. How in the world is he still taking names and kicking ass in 2022?

I don't have a problem with a black dude playing JB as long as race isn't hyped and made part of the story.

James Bond/007 is the agents code name and designation. It's not his REAL name.

Like Q or M, they are codes for the agents, so hopefully nobody discovers their true idenities.

I don't think I would be bothered too much, if they did it organically in the movie storyline.
Add him in as a character that eventually gets hired on my M to be the next 007 agent, over a 3 movie period.
THAT I can live with.

How do you feel about James Bond getting a permanent, super dark suntan???
Do you consider an iconicly based anglo role being taken over by a different race, Cultural Appropriation?

These black guys aren't stupid...........they know they'd be chastized, ridiculed, and hated for taking over the role, no matter how good or popular they are. Bond is a "one trick pony", and that "pony" has to keep the same colors or everybody looses interest.

If the Broccoli family wants to destroy the series and character, then by all means, change his race.

They've already put this vote to the audiences with a black woman taking over the 007 name in the last film, while the "real" 007 was in retirement. It did not get recieved well at all. Although, I liked her......

Whats wrong with a DIFFERENT super spy movie with HER in the role? She could be her own super secret agent with mad skills. I'd definitely go for that!! I love tough women!

But as for THE James Bond........keep him anglo, or lose fans and audiences.

As far as I'm concerned, they need to give the part to an unknown. Give some unknown good actor with great potential a chance. I'm tired of these "big names" taking over roles and pretty much ruining them with their massive ego's.

What do YOU think about this subject?

Not offended at all.

When I was a young man, Hollywood came out with black versions of all kinds of white ideas, like Blackenstein and Blacula.

This new Black Bond movie sounds funky, and might be good- although definitely different than the honky interpretation of the characters.

Not offended at all.

When I was a young man, Hollywood came out with black versions of all kinds of white ideas, like Blackenstein and Blacula.

This new Black Bond movie sounds funky, and might be good- although definitely different than the honky interpretation of the characters.
If there is a new black James Bond just remember how bad Will Smith's version of "The Wild Wild West" was.

Just make a James bondish character that's black or whatever.

I want a white male James bond. Because that's what James bond has been to me since I was a kid. It's who the character is to me. There is nothing wrong with tradition. Just like I don't want a blade movie where blade is a white dude, and I don't want murder she wrote rebooted and called murder he wrote.

If I grow up liking something I like it for what it is, to change that is to change what I like about it. So what if bond is a white guy? It never made the movies unliked for what 50 years? Why does it need to change now?

With that said, bond hasn't been good for a while now anyway. Too much cg action, too much of modern sensibilities in it, too little fun and excitement, and they just feel like every other boring and bland action movie out today. The last good bond movie was goldeneye anyway.

Not offended at all.

Not saying it wouldn't be GOOD. Just asking if it is considered cultural appropriation or not.
James Bond was written anglo, and has been anglo with anglo actors. It's been this way so long, that it is a cultural iconic character now.

Personally, I don't understand why they don't leave James Bond alone.......and just branch out into other MI-6 movies with different agents. I'm not saying flood the market with them..............but we could have another MI-6 agent movie series going when the James Bond films are taking a rest.

Not offended at all.

They could call him James Bland...

Just make a James bondish character that's black or whatever.

I want a white male James bond. Because that's what James bond has been to me since I was a kid. It's who the character is to me. There is nothing wrong with tradition. Just like I don't want a blade movie where blade is a white dude, and I don't want murder she wrote rebooted and called murder he wrote.

If I grow up liking something I like it for what it is, to change that is to change what I like about it. So what if bond is a white guy? It never made the movies unliked for what 50 years? Why does it need to change now?

With that said, bond hasn't been good for a while now anyway. Too much cg action, too much of modern sensibilities in it, too little fun and excitement, and they just feel like every other boring and bland action movie out today. The last good bond movie was goldeneye anyway.
Bond was never a "good guy."

James Bond/007 is the agents code name and designation. It's not his REAL name.

Like Q or M, they are codes for the agents, so hopefully nobody discovers their true idenities.

I don't think I would be bothered too much, if they did it organically in the movie storyline.
Add him in as a character that eventually gets hired on my M to be the next 007 agent, over a 3 movie period.
THAT I can live with.

Wrong.

In Skyfall. they firmly establish that James Bond is indeed his real name:

One of the main hooks of Skyfall is that it takes the character back to his childhood home, showing viewers a side to the character which had never truly been seen before, though a line of dialogue delivered by Alec Trevelyan in GoldenEye states that Bond's parents died in a climbing accident. Even though Craig's films are a hard reboot of the 007 mythology, they do establish, once and for all, that James Bond's name is, in fact, James Bond. At his childhood home, his family's estate, Bond sees the headstones of his parents, which carry his legendary surname.

Wrong.

One of the main hooks of Skyfall is that it takes the character back to his childhood home, showing viewers a side to the character which had never truly been seen before, though a line of dialogue delivered by Alec Trevelyan in GoldenEye states that Bond's parents died in a climbing accident. Even though Craig's films are a hard reboot of the 007 mythology, they do establish, once and for all, that James Bond's name is, in fact, James Bond. At his childhood home, his family's estate, Bond sees the headstones of his parents, which carry his legendary surname.

Well, shit, so he was!! I forgot about that.

So this particular agent actually was named James Bond.

Could be that the agency only recruits guys that are named "James Bond"??? Or was this just coincidence.

I don't think it's ever been firmly established one way or the other. But it's been hinted at many times over in the series of movies that "James Bond" and "007" are his code name and code ID.

I will have to do some research on this. I'm VERY curious now.

Wrong.

Ok, this is one interpretation.............

Yes, it has some valid points, but does not excuse all the references in many of the movies of James Bond and
007 being actual code identifications.

This DOES, however, validate the theory that every new actor portraying Bond, is just a new interpretation of the same character, just updated. This explains some of the new Bonds having his wife die by the hands of Blofeld, and seeming starting the storyline all over again.

This one also has a good theory as to why Bond IS a code name......

Given that this theory is extremely plausible, it does make as much sense as the other theory.
MI-6 takes in orphaned boys at a young age, even as babies, and used the Skyfall site as a "home", in order to train and brainwash them into being super agents at the 007 level.

This being said, would mean that each agent (001, 002, 003, etc...) are different levels of MI-6 training, and that these levels are standard to the code number. Such as 007 being the top level of agent skills. These levels are a constant. You don't graduate from one level to the other, you are replaced by another agent that has been conditioned and trained for that specific code level.

This would also make sense that these agents would all be named James Bond as well.

Still, they are theories, and so far, from what I can find online, the Broccoli's aren't giving up any info on this.

Forum List

Back