Cuban: tax inversions threat to US

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Laziest congress in history does nothing about tax inversions, good to see Mark Cuban finally woke up to the realization -- “When companies move off shore to save on taxes, you and I make up the shortfall elsewhere sell those stocks and they won’t move,”

Mark Cuban's no fan of tax inversions

By: Kevin McCoy
July 25, 2014

Dallas Mavericks owner and President Obama agree on at least one issue: Corporate tax inversions pose a financial threat to the nation.
In a series of Friday tweets, billionaire investor Mark Cuban said he’d take personal shareholder retaliation against any company that shifts its headquarters address overseas to save taxes.

“If I own stock in your company and you move offshore for tax reasons I’m selling your stock,” Cuban tweeted. “There are enough investment choices out there.”

Lest that threat fail to cause corporate America to tremble, Cuban urged his many Twitter followers to join him.
“When companies move off shore to save on taxes, you and I make up the shortfall elsewhere sell those stocks and they won’t move,” he tweeted.

<snip>

Boosted by White House support, congressional Democrats have introduced measures that would temporarily or permanently make it harder for U.S. firms to qualify for tax inversions. Republicans have generally resisted, arguing that the issue should be considered as part of a broader overhaul of the U.S. tax code and a reduction of the 35% top tax rate on businesses.

<snip>

They move this money offshore because the taxes are too high and the codes too onerous. If they would lower the tax rates and simplify the rules less companies would be doing this. Of course, the underlying question is why people think the government is entitled to any of this money in the first place.

Democrats are like the people who wanted to do the prohibition on alcohol, well... Actually Dems were the people that did the prohibition on alcohol, but today Dems feel making profit illegal through taxation will somehow magically make people want their income taxed more by keeping it in the US.

Tax it less and the money stays here, stop taxing it and it gets spent here and invested here as it did in the past. Tax the crap out of it and like every other nation in Earth's history people will avoid as much as possible.

They move this money offshore because the taxes are too high and the codes too onerous. If they would lower the tax rates and simplify the rules less companies would be doing this. Of course, the underlying question is why people think the government is entitled to any of this money in the first place.

Oh horse shit. If a company wants to do business in the largest consumer market in the world, protected by the largest military in the world, there is a price. The price is that the company pay the taxes that they are obligated to pay. To avoid those taxes while still playing in the American market is bullshit.

They don't want to pay taxes, let them get out of the American market.

If every true American (this doesn't include you) would take Cubans advice and boycott the product of any company avoiding their taxes, you know what. That lack of business would all the sudden overcome any tax avoidance scheme they could come up with.

It is only because there are no negative repercussions that companies keep doing this shit.
Well that and the support of people like you.

I hope it passes.....we also need to be boycotting these businesses that do the tax avoision scheme..

you do realize that the more corporations are taxed.....you the consumer pay for it....?

That's why he wants a law that makes the corporation (other people) pay for the tax themselves... See, it's the worst form of greed that these people are absorbed in, they truly want something taken from others and given to them until they *feel* things are fair.

Oh horse shit. If a company wants to do business in the largest consumer market in the world, protected by the largest military in the world, there is a price. The price is that the company pay the taxes that they are obligated to pay. To avoid those taxes while still playing in the American market is bullshit.

If every true American (this doesn't include you) would take Cubans advice and boycott the product of any company avoiding their taxes, you know what. That lack of business would all the sudden overcome any tax avoidance scheme they could come up with.

It is only because there are no negative repercussions that companies keep doing this shit.

You're dumb. Have a shitty day.

I hope it passes.....we also need to be boycotting these businesses that do the tax avoision scheme..

you do realize that the more corporations are taxed.....you the consumer pay for it....?

You do realize that you are stupid as a box of rocks if you think any company is going to lower its price to the consumer because they (the corporation) don't pay taxes.

you must be crazy if you think we the consumers, who are also tax payers, aren't carrying the tax load for the corporations that aren't paying their taxes.

You do realize that you are stupid as a box of rocks if you think any company is going to lower its price to the consumer because they (the corporation) don't pay taxes.

you must be crazy if you think we the consumers, who are also tax payers, aren't carrying the tax load for the corporations that aren't paying their taxes.

You're so out of touch with reality it's almost not worth the time to even tell you. Let me guess, you never ran a business or if you somehow tried, you failed.

You're dumb. Have a shitty day.

You got nothing eh? Why am I not surprised.

You're so out of touch with reality it's almost not worth the time to even tell you.

Dude, you want to argue my points, lets hear your thoughts. Right now it sounds like your head is in your ass. And I can't hear you.

Laziest congress in history does nothing about tax inversions, good to see Mark Cuban finally woke up to the realization -- “When companies move off shore to save on taxes, you and I make up the shortfall elsewhere sell those stocks and they won’t move,”

Mark Cuban's no fan of tax inversions

By: Kevin McCoy
July 25, 2014

Dallas Mavericks owner and President Obama agree on at least one issue: Corporate tax inversions pose a financial threat to the nation.
In a series of Friday tweets, billionaire investor Mark Cuban said he’d take personal shareholder retaliation against any company that shifts its headquarters address overseas to save taxes.

“If I own stock in your company and you move offshore for tax reasons I’m selling your stock,” Cuban tweeted. “There are enough investment choices out there.”

Lest that threat fail to cause corporate America to tremble, Cuban urged his many Twitter followers to join him.
“When companies move off shore to save on taxes, you and I make up the shortfall elsewhere sell those stocks and they won’t move,” he tweeted.

<snip>

Boosted by White House support, congressional Democrats have introduced measures that would temporarily or permanently make it harder for U.S. firms to qualify for tax inversions. Republicans have generally resisted, arguing that the issue should be considered as part of a broader overhaul of the U.S. tax code and a reduction of the 35% top tax rate on businesses.

<snip>

America is the market, it takes effort to "get to" American consumers. Thus, paying for the privilege makes sense.

You're so out of touch with reality it's almost not worth the time to even tell you.

Dude, you want to argue my points, lets hear your thoughts. Right now it sounds like your head is in your ass. And I can't hear you.

Sure, you mindless wonder.

Do you understand how a business can turn 1 million in a year but still the owner be middle class at best? The answer is overhead and then taxes. While you care about very few corporations avoiding taxes what you fail to hold accountable is the tens of thousands of small companies that flat out don't pay taxes to get by.

Many companies will simply not count cash, they pocket it. There are many ways that small business gets around paying taxes, hieing illegals, taking payments and simply not recording them as profits buying stuff for their personal life but claiming it as business investments ... It does not matter because the point is most businesses have to avoid taxes just to barely make it. Imagine if you can, and you can't, paying 28-32% of your total income that year in taxes. Imagine working far more than your employee's, imagine then taking your own money and having to re-invest despite you not making that much.

You care about the big guys but if you cracked down on all business we would end up in a depression rather quickly as business's simply close their doors.

Last edited:

Do you understand how a business can turn 1 million in a year but still the owner be middle class at best? The answer is overhead and then taxes. While you care about very few corporations avoiding taxes what you fail to hold accountable is the tens of thousands of small companies that flat out don't pay taxes to get by.

Many companies will simply not count cash, they pocket it. There are many ways that small business gets around paying taxes, hieing illegals, taking payments and simply not recording them as profits buying stuff for their personal life but claiming it as business investments ... It does not matter because the point is most businesses have to avoid taxes just to barely make it. Imagine if you can, and you can't, paying 28-32% of your total income that year in taxes. Imagine working far more than your employee's, imagine then taking your own money and having to re-invest despite you not making that much.

You care about the big guys but if you cracked down on all business we would end up in a depression rather quickly as business's simply close their doors.

Dude I ain't reading your crack head treatise. You want to address my points?

Will any company lower it's price for its goods or services if their taxes are lowered?

And why should any company get to play in the largest consumer market in the WORLD and not pay their taxes?

You want to give this a try or go back to insults?

Dude I ain't reading your crack head treatise. You want to address my points?

Will any company lower it's price for its goods or services if their taxes are lowered?

And why should any company get to play in the largest consumer market in the WORLD and not pay their taxes?

You want to give this a try or go back to insults?

You miss the point because you're limited on economics.

100% yes, many companies, or 99% of business's would lower costs of products, just not how you understand it.

Lets say you avoid taxes and only pay 9% taxes, the rest is off shores... Then you get cracked down on by a bunch of economically ignorant lemmings.... Then you go to 29% taxes. What do you think will happen to the cost of products in that business being sold to the public? Do you think the costs will go up or down?

Will companies simply lower prices if they get tax cuts they didn't receive before? no... But that's because for most companies the price already matches the level in which they they are taxed at currently.

And no, I don't like the idea of taxing people to maintain a bankrupt country's military. Maybe the country should live within it's means like the business owner has to.

Taxes are like min wage... They both make everything cost more the higher they get, yet everyone stays just as poor and in the current economic case, poorer.

Last edited:
It takes TIME to get to the market, and ususally money spent; go offshore, pay MORE to get to the market. AMERICA is the MARKET.

Zeke, if you heard the President go live today and say he is raising taxes on people and one of the groups just happened to be the one you are in... And he said taxes will be going from 18% (for you just random number) to 35%.... What would you do, financially over the next months and year....?

Now apply that to business and you have your fucking answer!

Forum List

Back