Craftsman announces US factory closing...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
The end of an era for shadetree mechanics and do-it-yourselfers.

My first new tools were Craftsman, my Dad's tools were Craftsman, his Dad's tools were Craftsman.

You broke it, Sears replaced it...no questions asked.

Been awhile seen that policy was in force, but still sad to see them go...

"Craftsman will be discontinuing operations at their Fort Worth, Texas facility, where they were working to produce new USA-made hand tools.

Stanley Black & Decker announced the new 425,000 square foot factory in mid-2019, where they planned to produce Craftsman mechanics hand tools, including ratchets, wrenches, sockets, and tool sets.

In late-2022, Craftsman said that the factory was open, operating, and producing tools.

In a conversation I had today with a Craftsman executive, I was told that they expect for the factory to be closed by mid-2024."

Craftsman is Closing its USA Hand Tools Factory

Yeah,they shut down the SEARS Hardware near my house a couple years ago.
And they changed the warranty on tools. Used to be able to return them to any Sears now you have to return them to the Sears you bought them from.
There are more option on hand tools these days than there was 20 or 30 years ago so that helps.

My first new tools were Craftsman, my Dad's tools were Craftsman, his Dad's tools were Craftsman.

"Craftsman will be discontinuing operations at their Fort Worth, Texas facility, where they were working to produce new USA-made hand tools.

Stanley Black & Decker announced the new 425,000 square foot factory in mid-2019, where they planned to produce Craftsman mechanics hand tools, including ratchets, wrenches, sockets, and tool sets.

In late-2022, Craftsman said that the factory was open, operating, and producing tools.

In a conversation I had today with a Craftsman executive, I was told that they expect for the factory to be closed by mid-2024."

I think it points to piss poor management at Sears. This organization was a pioneer in the mail order business and some upstart who sold books out of his garage slapped them around like a bunch of amateurs. I made my living with Craftsman tools and have a garage full of them. It is a sad day.

Thought I read they had moved to China

Yeah,they shut down the SEARS Hardware near my house a couple years ago.
And they changed the warranty on tools. Used to be able to return them to any Sears now you have to return them to the Sears you bought them from.
There are more option on hand tools these days than there was 20 or 30 years ago so that helps.
Not sure which one, but I think Home Depot, Lowes and Ace still carry them. I haven't broken one in a long time, but I've never had a problem exchanging them anywhere that carried them.

Thought I read they had moved to China
This was the last Craftsman factory in the US. I'm sure the name will continue as a zombie brand attempting to cash in on their name recognition and former glory like Porter-Cable and Delta.

Might as well buy Pittsburgh from Harbor Freight...they will likely be made in the same Chinese factory.

This was the last Craftsman factory in the US. I'm sure the name will continue as a zombie brand attempting to cash in on their name recognition and former glory like Porter-Cable and Delta.

Might as well buy Pittsburgh from Harbor Freight.
Harbor Freight used to offer lifetime guarantees on their hand tools--don't know if they still do for sure, but worth a try--bottom line, a new tool isn't worth busted knuckles or having to wait for the replacement though.

Doesn't Craftsman still have a lifetime guarantee?

I'd better start digging through the garage before 2024. :eek-52:

I went out to the tool shed to see where the most recent Craftsman sets I bought from Ace were manufactured.

I bought these in the last five years.

(Edit...they both say the Craftsman brand was copyrighted 2020 so I must have bought them in the last three years.)

IMG_20230322_190255817~2.jpg

IMG_20230322_190151234_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230322_190227896_HDR~2.jpg

Made in Taiwan...better than China I suppose.

Still states Lifetime Warranty.

Last edited:
I went out to the tool shed to see where the most recent Craftsman sets I bought from Ace were manufactured.

I bought these in the last five years.

(Edit...they both say the Craftsman brand was copyrighted 2020 so I must have bought them in the last three years.)

View attachment 768335

View attachment 768333View attachment 768334

Made in Taiwan...better than China I suppose.

Still states Lifetime Warranty.
They apparently still have many factories in the US as well--they list 22 factories, nationwide, on the website listed on your kits---craftsman.com. Where it's made | CRAFTSMAN

Biden's economy.

When i was working for a company called, "Union Switch & Signal," we provided took kits with some of our equipment packages and the tools were hand-crafted. But later they went all-in with Craftsman tools. Lasted forever. Of course, we marked them up fantastically.

Forum List

Back