Court Packing

Saw this from the supreme douchebag:

122977140_3756393004373268_2861900564620365736_o.jpg

We need a Constitutional amendment preventing court packing. Otherwise, there's not much point in having a Court. Nor a Constitution.
Something like that is inevitable. Repubs stole the seat from Obama so the bar will be lowered soon. Things just get worse and worse.

Yeah, I think a Constitutional amendment aimed at fixing the Court size is needed, but it should also include provisions to prevent the shenanigans re: Garland.

We need a Constitutional amendment preventing court packing. Otherwise, there's not much point in having a Court. Nor a Constitution.
Something like that is inevitable. Repubs stole the seat from Obama so the bar will be lowered soon. Things just get worse and worse.

Yeah, I think a Constitutional amendment aimed at fixing the Court size is needed, but it should also include provisions to prevent the shenanigans re: Garland.
That sure would be nice.

Trump could get that done in a few weeks.

Just line up a list of 50 hardcore right wing candidates and ask the Senate to confirm every Goddamn one. You'll get an amendment in short order.

Well, the problem would be increasing the size of the Court to begin with - which would require the House to be on board as well. The only way it will happen is if one party has control of everything (WH and all of Congress). Which may very well be what we're facing if the "blue wave" comes to fruition.

In the past, Biden has recognized how stupid that would be - but stupidity is trending.
I really don't see Biden trending this way. Clyburn isn't either. Biden's mentioned something vague in term of reforming (or changing) the federal courts

Yeah. I've seen that a couple of times. Something about a bipartisan commission to study "court reform". It's either a dog whistle for court packing, or he's placating progressives with ambiguity.

And I'm not sure he's gonna win anyway.

They'd also need to take the Senate. Both are definitely possible.
Just eliminate the SC. All they have done for some time now, is protect the wealthy and powerful. They haven’t done their constitutional duty so they’re a criminal enterprise. Just like Congress and the Executive branch.

Time to start over.

They certainly haven't done a great job enforcing limits on state power. But I don't really buy the line that they protect the "wealthy and powerful". I think they're just kinda cowardly. They don't want to be seen as blocking the "will of the people". But that's their fucking job.

Robert's ACA decision was the perfect example. He outlined exactly why the mandate was wrong, but then copped out with "but we've been doing it for a long time, so I'm not gonna block it". Lame.
Well, the taxing power has been pretty widely interpreted. I COULD be limited to only taxing for an enumerated power, but then that's general welfare …. which lets in a lot of stuff.

I'm more in favor of letting congress and the poutes enact laws … so long as they aren't violating the 14th or the BOR. I'd prefer the SC to look out for individual rights, even when that leads to things like Citizens United and the absurd situation we have with campaign funding.

I woulnd not be knee jerk against requiring the senate to give a nominee a vote in certain amount of time. A century or two ago, the Senate just let nominations did with no votes rather than vote to not confirm. IF Garland had a vote, we'd have saved some anguish with Barrett.

Well, the taxing power has been pretty widely interpreted.
A mistake that is yet to be corrected, but should be. Hamilton's "general welfare" exploit basically cut in half the Constitution's power to limit government.

As I understand it, Congress can impeach a SCOTUS justice for any reason they wish. Just sayn'.

I woulnd not be knee jerk against requiring the senate to give a nominee a vote in certain amount of time. A century or two ago, the Senate just let nominations did with no votes rather than vote to not confirm. IF Garland had a vote, we'd have saved some anguish with Barrett.

So you think all Republican SCOTUS appointments have gotten a Senate vote? Want to wager on that?

So you think all Republican SCOTUS appointments have gotten a Senate vote? Want to wager on that?
If you could read a post, the answer might gobsmack you.

If you could read a post, the answer might gobsmack you.

You're the one who needs to go back and re-read your post

A mistake that is yet to be corrected, but should be. Hamilton's "general welfare" exploit basically cut in half the Constitution's power to limit government.
I'm not sure it's a mistake. Voters can elect a govt to do something. Since 1980 we've been electing govts to spend more than they raise in revenue. The const may give us the power to destroy our country.

Bork and Garland nomiantions were IDENTITCAL Kaz. Only idiots deny this. It's plain as the blue nose on Moscow Mitch's face. Now fuck off

Bork and Garland nominations were "Identical," and you blame Republicans only still

Fudge, courts...those RatZ will pack anything.

The statutory number of seats is nine. To change that number will require new legislation nullifying the following act:

With a Democratic House and a Democratic Senate, anything is possible.

Makes you stick your hand down your pants, doesn't it, "Republican?"
Just stating the facts. I know how much you hate that.

Biden will/would not pack the courts, even if he has/had a Democratic Congress. It just would not be worth the political capital it would cost. He has other fish to fry.

Biden is just playing coy with the far left.

You can book it.

Last edited:
Fudge, courts...those RatZ will pack anything.

The statutory number of seats is nine. To change that number will require new legislation nullifying the following act:

With a Democratic House and a Democratic Senate, anything is possible.

Makes you stick your hand down your pants, doesn't it, "Republican?"
Just stating the facts. I know how much you hate that.

Yes, and the fact is that when you stack the court, that's not permanent either. When Republicans take back power which is roughly every decade or so then they will stack it back and then every decade or two the court will grow and grow and grow and the court will always serve the ruling party.

You think you're taking the court permanently, you just don't grasp you're not

I'm not sure it's a mistake. Voters can elect a govt to do something.
But not to do anything. The whole point of the Constitution is to constrain what voters can "do" with government.

Forum List

Back