Costco CEO: Raise The Minimum Wage

Uh huh.. too low.. by YOUR assessment.. well, you want more money, do something to put yourself in demand and EARN it.. minimum wage is not supposed to be a live on your own, have a car, support 2 kids, and go buy any luxuries wage.. it is a STARTER WAGE

The data is assessing it, you fucking fool! All working man's wages are presently too low.

What happens to businesses that rely on consumer spending as that purchasing power declines with time? Paying less in wages is not helping that business, when it's losing more in sales and it's profit is going down, while it's other business expenses aren't. Labor isn't usually that high of a percentage in the total cost of doing business, but wages are nearly a 100% of what makes the consumer purchasing power to operate that business.

WRONG... FLAT OUT LIE.. not all 'working mans wages' are low....

Ignorant troglodyte

As stated, if just granting higher wages means more profit for business, why stop at $10?? Why not $50?? Why not $100?? BECAUSE THE CONCEPT AND PREMISE IS COMPLETE BULLSHIT

Labor is not usually that high of percent of the cost of doing business?? Have you EVER owned a company?? Have you ever even handled a departmental budget in a company?? Let me answer that for you... NO, YOU HAVE NOT.... you are talking out of your ass and you are about as ignorant on this subject as they come

:lol:

25% according to my latest P&L
:thup:

You are subsidizing Walmart's cheap pay in America. Can't you read?

The fact is you right-wing scum talk about the market as if it's a god, but you don't believe you can make a market work by paying people enough to live and not be your slaves. Buy your own hamburger, fool!

I'm subsidizing a lot more than the people who work at walmart how come your not talking about everyone else who scams the fucking government for food stamps?

And if people can't live on what they make they should either spend less or get a second, third or fourth job. That's what I always did.

Do you really think the people have the option of getting those additional jobs now?

Yes. There are jobs out there if you want them.

I'm subsidizing a lot more than the people who work at walmart how come your not talking about everyone else who scams the fucking government for food stamps?

And if people can't live on what they make they should either spend less or get a second, third or fourth job. That's what I always did.

Do you really think the people have the option of getting those additional jobs now?

Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com

Tons of openings, all over the place and in every field...

Now.. some you may not be qualified for, but that is on you.. and some you may not like, but that is on you... and some you may think are beneath you, but that is on you.... so you may be starting to realize, DumbAssDubya, IT IS ALL ON YOU

So the next argument would be "well at $10/hour the employees will spend more then $8.00"!

Do your own analysis, but let me just point out:
Walmart has 96% more employees then Costco... you figure it out!

We've done the analysis of comparing the same corporations in the United States and other developed countries and this policy of keeping wages too low is stupid. It designs a system to fail. When society needs a worker to do a job, society should directly pay enough for that person to live and not give them social programs to subsidize the business paying substandard wages. If other countries can pay a higher minimum wage and provide health care, why can't the same business do it here as they do it in those other countries?

What countries? Italy? Spain? France?

More importantly we are talking about store clerks!
They don't need computer programming training.
They deal with the public NOT systems!

FACTS that:
FROM THE GOVERNMENT if you took time to get your facts!!!
Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

Among those paid by the hour, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.

Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers.
Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 23 percent earned the minimum wage or less,
compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over.

3 PERCENT 3% are age 25 or over and most likely head of a household but surely not the image given!

I want to make sure I understand these numbers.
3.9 million are at or below minimum wage. So if you increase their wages by 1.75 an hour, they collectively earn 6,825,000. dollars an hour more.

And we have how many trillions of dollars flowing through our economy? So every 8 hours the minimum wage workers could make and recirculate something like 52 million dollars a day. more when you consider two 8 hour shifts.

Any many of you think this would be a bad thing? Why would stimulating the economy be a bad thing?

The only "Bad" thing I see happening is that the corporate masters te rethugs in here love, would have a little less bonus coming to them.

By 'admin' I don't merely mean the executive branch.

DC, as a whole, needs a flushing

I don't find our economic problems hard to solve, but I find the people don't know about economics and the politicians don't act like they know about it, if they do know.

Then we have a select few politicians that DO know economics (Ryan for one) but others are so tied to their political leanings they can't make the tough cuts.

Then we have political "leaders" (Pelosi) telling us that we don't have a spending problem.

Revenue is the highest it's been in years but we're still spending more than we bring in.

:confused:

Libertarians don't know economics.

Now.. some you may not be qualified for, but that is on you.. and some you may not like, but that is on you... and some you may think are beneath you, but that is on you.... so you may be starting to realize, DumbAssDubya, IT IS ALL ON YOU
Was it Monday or Tuesday that our sequester-bound government posted 400 new job postings

:eusa_whistle:

I don't find our economic problems hard to solve, but I find the people don't know about economics and the politicians don't act like they know about it, if they do know.

Then we have a select few politicians that DO know economics (Ryan for one) but others are so tied to their political leanings they can't make the tough cuts.

Then we have political "leaders" (Pelosi) telling us that we don't have a spending problem.

Revenue is the highest it's been in years but we're still spending more than we bring in.

s proven in this very thread, it is you who don't know business or economics

So the next argument would be "well at $10/hour the employees will spend more then $8.00"!

Do your own analysis, but let me just point out:
Walmart has 96% more employees then Costco... you figure it out!

We've done the analysis of comparing the same corporations in the United States and other developed countries and this policy of keeping wages too low is stupid. It designs a system to fail. When society needs a worker to do a job, society should directly pay enough for that person to live and not give them social programs to subsidize the business paying substandard wages. If other countries can pay a higher minimum wage and provide health care, why can't the same business do it here as they do it in those other countries?

What countries? Italy? Spain? France?

More importantly we are talking about store clerks!
They don't need computer programming training.
They deal with the public NOT systems!

FACTS that:
FROM THE GOVERNMENT if you took time to get your facts!!!
Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

Among those paid by the hour, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.

Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers.
Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 23 percent earned the minimum wage or less,
compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over.

3 PERCENT 3% are age 25 or over and most likely head of a household but surely not the image given!

MOST of the minimum wage earners are fast food, entry skill levels!
So this bull crap of making $10 /hour will JUST put MORE people out of work!

Where did they get those bullshit numbers?

Table #7: 45.0% of the people who receive minimum wage and 52.9% of the people below minimum wage are 25 years old or older. 21.1% of the people receiving minimum wage or below minimum wage are teenagers, so get the idea out of your right-wing head that these are kids making minimum wage. More than three quarters of the teenagers, 16 to 19, don't find a job to give stats during a year.

Minimum wage or below minimum wage workers were 5.2% of the hourly paid workers in 2011, which was down from 6.0% in 2010 and was 4.7% in 2012. These low wages went up from 2.2% in 2006 and are just a product of bad economic times. Very few people would normally be getting minimum or below minimum wage, unless times are bad.

Source: Table #10 Tables 1 - 10; Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012

s proven in this very thread, it is you who don't know business or economics

I gave you logical examples of decreasing the purchasing power of workers and what it does to business. You can't refute that having wages too low hurts businesses that rely on consumer spending.

Hell all we need here in 'Merica is two people working for 9 bucks an hour and they'll be on easy street. 18. x 32 hrs. (can't work "full time", employer would have to provide insurance.) x 4.3 weeks = a whopping 2476 gross wages a month.

minus 30% for all (state, local, federal) taxes, (743), 600 rent, 600 food, 100 gas, 250 utilities,

Hey, with a whopping 183 dollars left after pay days, where should they spend all that money you think? Maybe they could move to a cheaper place. Give up electricity.

A car? School? Child care? Medical Insurance?

Some of you fuking fools on here seem to have no idea what goes on in the world for people who are making that little money.

Then you all want to trash talk about them, when they are working their asses off. Bitching about the tax treatment CONGRESS gave them. Bitching because they qualify for food stamps.

If you all think its so easy to get by on 9 bucks an hour, try it. Go get a job for 9 bucks an hour and live off that.

Was it Monday or Tuesday that our sequester-bound government posted 400 new job postings

The government has already planned furloughs, so that money for hours not worked isn't going to be spent in the economy. Only idiots believe government jobs don't provide something necessary for an economy, so there has to be loses other than the money loses.

Hell all we need here in 'Merica is two people working for 9 bucks an hour and they'll be on easy street. 18. x 32 hrs. (can't work "full time", employer would have to provide insurance.) x 4.3 weeks = a whopping 2476 gross wages a month.

minus 30% for all (state, local, federal) taxes, (743), 600 rent, 600 food, 100 gas, 250 utilities,

Hey, with a whopping 183 dollars left after pay days, where should they spend all that money you think? Maybe they could move to a cheaper place. Give up electricity.

Give up cable, cell phone... There are always ways to save money. When I was a doing financial planning I could always and I do mean always find money in a person's budget.

A car? School? Child care? Medical Insurance?

Some of you fuking fools on here seem to have no idea what goes on in the world for people who are making that little money.

What makes you think I haven't ever been in that situation? Up until the last 6 years I always had at least two jobs, one full time and at least one part time many times I had 2 additional part time jobs. I didn't whine about it like you all do I just did it

Then you all want to trash talk about them, when they are working their asses off. Bitching about the tax treatment CONGRESS gave them. Bitching because they qualify for food stamps.

If you all think its so easy to get by on 9 bucks an hour, try it. Go get a job for 9 bucks an hour and live off that.

Been there done that and I haven't trash talked anyone I just have no patience for whining.

Now go put on your big boy pants, tie your shoes and act like a grown up.

The government has already planned furloughs, so that money for hours not worked isn't going to be spent in the economy. Only idiots believe government jobs don't provide something necessary for an economy, so there has to be loses other than the money loses.

Yeah one day a month furloughs that'll be catastrophic.

Forum List

Back