Corona Virus deaths being under reported in US

Dr Grump

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2006
From the Back of Beyond
29439 new cases and 1243 new deaths in the United States

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee

What is the point of this post? What are you trying to tell us here in the US? Just trying to lower morale? I am not following your rationale.

I'm hearing about deaths everyday; I don't detect the media covering anything up.

You could tell, reading this statement, why they are diverting fast tests to the rural Midwest or the Deep South, where they are currently not needed, rather than delivering them to the hotspots where they are:

Some White House officials want to ship many of the tests, which were approved Friday and can deliver results in five to 13 minutes, to areas where there are fewer cases, such as rural states and parts of the South. But officials in hard-hit areas and some public health experts favor directing them to the outbreak’s current hotspots, arguing that delays in test readings have sidelined many first responders and health-care workers and made it harder to isolate the most contagious patients. During a Tuesday meeting of the White House coronavirus task force in the Situation Room, Vice President Pence and other officials discussed diverting new tests to areas where there are relatively few cases, according to two individuals familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe internal deliberations.​

Trump had already admitted, he liked the infected / fatality "count" to stay where they are. Of course, treating a pandemic as a PR problem also kills, as does incompetence. Or callous disregard, for that matter.

You could tell, reading this statement, why they are diverting fast tests to the rural Midwest or the Deep South, where they are currently not needed, rather than delivering them to the hotspots where they are:

Some White House officials want to ship many of the tests, which were approved Friday and can deliver results in five to 13 minutes, to areas where there are fewer cases, such as rural states and parts of the South. But officials in hard-hit areas and some public health experts favor directing them to the outbreak’s current hotspots, arguing that delays in test readings have sidelined many first responders and health-care workers and made it harder to isolate the most contagious patients. During a Tuesday meeting of the White House coronavirus task force in the Situation Room, Vice President Pence and other officials discussed diverting new tests to areas where there are relatively few cases, according to two individuals familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe internal deliberations.​

Trump had already admitted, he liked the infected / fatality "count" to stay where they are. Of course, treating a pandemic as a PR problem also kills, as does incompetence. Or callous disregard, for that matter.

What else would you bitch about...
50,000 tests to an area that requires 500,000 tests and you would curse Trump no matter which of those 50K got the test.
Mainly because you're a hateful POS.

Why post bullshit?
I can only think that you're not watching out news stations.

I don't think it's BS. I think he is telling the truth. He probably doesn't know the exact numbers, but he has no reason to lie about it. He doesn't seem to be thinking politically - just that they don't have the equipment to test every person who is dying. Found it more interesting that he said they are going to run out of room in the morgues soon. That is not a good thing.

What is the point of this post? What are you trying to tell us here in the US? Just trying to lower morale? I am not following your rationale.

Yeah. You're right. Why post anything... :dunno: :rolleyes-41:
I am serious? What was your intent? Was it to bring down US Morale?

See post nine.
That aside, I could spend five minutes finding 100 threads on this board citing your exact words.
But you don’t live in the US? Why not post something positive like the cases in NY have dropped or that some new treatments are working? Why bash the US?

But you don’t live in the US? Why not post something positive like the cases in NY have dropped or that some new treatments are working? Why bash the US?

Huh? How am I bashing the US? I think it's pretty sad what is happening. Not mentioned any politics in this post at all.

So what if I don't live in the US? Want to take out all the posts on this board relating to foreign countries? You'd have over half of them gone...

Huh? How am I bashing the US? I think it's pretty sad what is happening. Not mentioned any politics in this post at all.

So what if I don't live in the US? Want to take out all the posts on this board relating to foreign countries? You'd have over half of them gone...
So you thought your post was positive for the US? OK...agree to disagree. Posts about foreign countries relate to how they impact the US.

So you thought your post was positive for the US? OK...agree to disagree. Posts about foreign countries relate to how they impact the US.

Wasn't supposed to be positive or negative. Just an observation.

Not too sure what you meant by your last.

what country do you live in ? is it being hit by covid 19 also ?

what country do you live in ? is it being hit by covid 19 also ?

Australia. Yep, certainly have been. A lot of us are working from home now. The government is doing an okay job. My home country of NZ is doing better, but I think they are being slightly more draconian than Australia.

Forum List

Back