Cool the planet, block the sunlight.

It's easier and cheaper to reduce the amount of sunlight hitting the earth than to reduce greenhouse gases. We can easily put light and heat reflecting materials into the upper atmosphere. This will also have the effect of reducing the amount of co2 in the air as cooler temps reduce the natural production of co2.
Hooray, a new Ice Age!

Also, during the early days of the Covid shutdown many cities experienced cleaner air.

So we should be seeing higher temperatures ... but if anything we're seeing slightly lower ... the opposite of correlation ... your theory is good, but I think you're grossly over-estimating the effect ... it might take gigatonnes of material to have any measurable change in temperature ... and all that material comes back down ... what's the carbon footprint for building and launching a Saturn V rocket and her measly 140 tonnes payload? ... now muliply that by a billion to get your gigatonnes ...

It would be far far cheaper to add three feet to our sea-walls ...

Last edited:
Killed 60,000 in the early 1800's. Almost exterminated mankind a few tens of thousands of years ago.
In 536 AD the eruption of Krakatoa caused global crop failure, famine and plague and launched mankind into the Dark Ages for several hundred years.

So we should be seeing higher temperatures ... but if anything we're seeing slightly lower ... the opposite of correlation ... your theory is good, but I think you're grossly over-estimating the effect ... it might take gigatonnes of material to have any measurable change in temperature ... and all that material comes back down ... what's the carbon footprint for building and launching a Saturn V rocket and her measly 140 tonnes payload? ... now muliply that by a billion to get your gigatonnes ...

We have gigatonnes of waste paper that can be bleached and released into the atmosphere (from special pods on commercial airplanes). When it settles down to earth* it decays and returns to the soil. If the earth gets too cold we suspend the program.

*In less than a month.

Last edited:
No it isn't. Brainwashed moonbats have been making that idiotic proposal for years. Including Bill Gates who has volunteered to fund the experiments.
They say that great minds think alike. :biggrin:

I stopped taking my BP meds, and my BP returned to normal. How would you explain my thinking about that? ;)

Not necessarily. The smog 'blanket' tends to cause cities to heat up. Clear air allows heat to be reflected back into space.

In 536 AD the eruption of Krakatoa caused global crop failure, famine and plague and launched mankind into the Dark Ages for several hundred years.

Horsefeathers ... the effect only lasted a couple of years ... just we had a number of volcanoes erupt in the 6th Century AD which made it seem like one eruption caused massive disruptions ...

536 AD finds the Dark Ages well underway ... this is towards the end of the reign of King Author ... so the filthy English had already been beaten back by this time ... one of the few times of prosperity for the Britons and Picts in Sub-Roman Britain ...

How do you know there was "global crop failure, famine and plague" during the Dark Ages? ... HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...

Not necessarily. The smog 'blanket' tends to cause cities to heat up. Clear air allows heat to be reflected back into space.

You're over your head here ... clean air absorbs heat and increases temperatures on the surface ... the greenhouse effect ... c.f. US temperatures between Sept 11th and Sept 14th, 2001 ...

I don't know why you bring up smog, that's defined as a mix of smoke and fog ... and this increases Earth's albedo, the solar energy reflected back out into space does NOT contribute to surface temperatures ... isn't this your point in the OP, put MORE reflective material in the upper atmosphere to reflect sunlight away? ... the same thing can be done by increasing humidity and the corresponding increase in clouds ... and raising surface temperatures is a great way to do just that ... rough 7% increase in the mass of water vapor per degree Celsius ...

The Law commands equilibrium ... the CCC advocates are in felony violation of this Law ...

You're over your head here ... clean air absorbs heat and increases temperatures on the surface ... the greenhouse effect ... c.f. US temperatures between Sept 11th and Sept 14th, 2001 ...

I don't know why you bring up smog, that's defined as a mix of smoke and fog ... and this increases Earth's albedo, the solar energy reflected back out into space does NOT contribute to surface temperatures ... isn't this your point in the OP, put MORE reflective material in the upper atmosphere to reflect sunlight away? ... the same thing can be done by increasing humidity and the corresponding increase in clouds ... and raising surface temperatures is a great way to do just that ... rough 7% increase in the mass of water vapor per degree Celsius ...

The Law commands equilibrium ... the CCC advocates are in felony violation of this Law ...
Heat escapes through clear air better at night. That's why deserts can get very cold at night.

It's easier and cheaper to reduce the amount of sunlight hitting the earth than to reduce greenhouse gases. We can easily put light and heat reflecting materials into the upper atmosphere. This will also have the effect of reducing the amount of co2 in the air as cooler temps reduce the natural production of co2.
One downside is the reduction in photosynthesis - aka less plant generated oxygen, and less food.

Heat escapes through clear air better at night. That's why deserts can get very cold at night.

No it doesn't ... what manner of horseshit are you spewing ... heat comes in at visible wavelengths and heat escapes in the infrared wavelengths ... do you understand the thermodynamic complexities of water's changing its state-of-matter? ... from a gas to a liquid ... I'm guessing not or you would be including that in your calculations ... clouds themselves raise temperature, and effect the radiative flow of outbound energy both day and night ... both ... at the same time ...

Deserts are cold at night, and hot during the day, because they are DRY ... first and foremost, they are DRY ... one of water's many exotic properties is the large amount of energy to change it's temperature ... without water in the atmosphere, the air is free to fluctuate temperature wildly ...

Heat escapes through DRY air equally at night or day ... that's what the physics says ...

There's no need think mankind can cool, heat, or whatever the planet. Mother nature does what it does. It creates ice, it gets rid of all ice. It creates deserts, it creates temperate forests, and it changes them to the opposite at will.

If you take the volume of the planet, the ratio of mankind to that in geological history is the size of one testicle. We've been here one testicle size to the planet, and that doesn't give the alarmists the right to talk bollox.

Horsefeathers ... the effect only lasted a couple of years ... just we had a number of volcanoes erupt in the 6th Century AD which made it seem like one eruption caused massive disruptions ...

536 AD finds the Dark Ages well underway ... this is towards the end of the reign of King Author ... so the filthy English had already been beaten back by this time ... one of the few times of prosperity for the Britons and Picts in Sub-Roman Britain ...

How do you know there was "global crop failure, famine and plague" during the Dark Ages? ... HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...
Actually I've studied it. Just because you are personally ignorant of history and geology doesn't mean everyone else is as ignorant as you are.

You're an idiot. King Arthur is a fictional character, jackass.

Actually I've studied it. Just because you are personally ignorant of history and geology doesn't mean everyone else is as ignorant as you are.

You're an idiot. King Arthur is a fictional character, jackass.

Mt Timbora is a good example ... how is this event affecting us today? ... how about Mt Pinatubo's effects ... and these are completely pussy compared to Mt Mazama ...

You've studied this? ... let's see the data then ... weather effects of these three eruptions at ... say ... three years later, ten years later, and fifty years later ... and of course, what you've claimed, 300 years later ...

Forum List

Back