converting emotions intentionally

trevorjohnson83

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2015
My theory is that there are 5 main emotions: Love or desire to be loved, sadness inc depression, anger and hate, fear and anxiety, and indifference which leads to happiness or higher. The strong emotions convert into one another easily. Love can easily be sadness. Sadness can turn into fear and anger. This happens unintentionally. By converting your emotions intentionally you can dissolve them into indifference.

Transforming emotions is easy using a little comedy. Think of some situation that could get you in trouble for a second and you will feel fear or anxiety. Now mix sarcasm in with your fears by overstating what is likely too happen. Mixing in the comedy will cause indifference.

You can convert anger into sadness by feeling small and helpless. Then convert the sadness to indifference overstating hope.

I think there are lots of different codes for the five emotions transforming into each other. My own wantonness for attention in writing this can be converted down the line of emotions. Of course I always float my boat on hope that this will get somewhere. Slim chance but its all I've got haha!

What's up, TrevorB? This is "and then" from UM. I had to find another home to discuss politics because some assholes on that site kept complaining until the administrator had to "revoke my privileges" ;) THIS site is wilder and the trash talk can get pretty rough but they value true freedom of speech and that's becoming far too rare these days. This is a very AMERICAN-centric site. UM caters to the Liberal "elite" from the UK, OZ, and New Zealand.
I have several friends there and for most non-political discussions it's a great site. Lately, though, that pissy little punk, "Manwon" has literally taken control of the U.S./Politics forum and no one seems to have the balls or desire to put him in his place. If he's allowed to keep pushing others away, he eventually ruin that site. I don't know if you're familiar with the reference but that guy is like a cross between Eddie Haskell and a psychopath.
Good to see a familiar face!

You have a positive mindset because you view emotions as a temporary reaction that is changeable and within one’s power to control.

The polar opposite would be stating that we are at the mercy of our ever-changing emotions, that others “cause us” to feel the way we do, and that we have little control over our emotions during times of conflict (all 3 being false statements of course).

Your train of thought leads north… to the sunny land of positive possibilities, where self-control is the norm, and people accept personal possibility for their words and actions! The opposite position heads south, to a negative land full of blaming the world for reactionary states of emotion. In negative land nobody has to be responsible for their own actions nor do they have any reason for self-improvement since were all victims of those around us.

I definitely choose your path and a great way to define it-a temporary condition, changeable, controllable, and just a part of being a human!

Anger at oneself from past mistakes can send one spiraling through emotions. Thinking of a small ray of hope and putting your bet on that is the best way to keep anger down.

Anger at oneself from past mistakes can send one spiraling through emotions. Thinking of a small ray of hope and putting your bet on that is the best way to keep anger down.

I find it really helps to "release" that anger in a positive way. A great time to go out and take a brisk walk, shoot some hoops, or even yard work can be a great way to get rid of anger and kick in serotonin and endorphins to help us along with feeling good. So, instead of where you are trying to "keep anger down"..that sounds like it doesn't really "go anywhere" like we're still carrying it around like a dead weight....so matching up some type of exercise, doesn't matter what, to physically kick it out of our system is a way to change gears asap. Afterwards, that particular event/related emotion is gone...vamoose...good riddance:) and often you'll feel tired, maybe drained, but after a hot shower perfect!

I'm sure different strategies work for different people, but for me if I stuff an emotion it brings me down physically, seriously, mind/body connection and all. So I've learned that the best way is to not let it snowball, play it out while vigorously getting it all out...works for me anyway! I usually just space out when exercising listening to good tunes...another way to really change up your emotional state...works like a charm:)

Last edited:
I find it really helps to "release" that anger in a positive way. A great time to go out and take a brisk walk, shoot some hoops, or even yard work can be a great way to get rid of anger and kick in serotonin and endorphins to help us along with feeling good. So, instead of where you are trying to "keep anger down"..that sounds like it doesn't really "go anywhere" like we're still carrying it around like a dead weight....so matching up some type of exercise, doesn't matter what, to physically kick it out of our system is a way to change gears asap. Afterwards, that particular event/related emotion is gone...vamoose...good riddance:) and often you'll feel tired, maybe drained, but after a hot shower perfect!

I'm sure different strategies work for different people, but for me if I stuff an emotion it brings me down physically, seriously, mind/body connection and all. So I've learned that the best way is to not let it snowball, play it out while vigorously getting it all out...works for me anyway! I usually just space out when exercising listening to good tunes...another way to really change up your emotional state...works like a charm:)
Yes exercise is a good way to treat bad emotions. But I'm talking about doing it with your mind. Focusing on hope and what gives you hope to control sadness. Sadness seems to pop up on its own from being alone with your thoughts. Sadness can turn into self hatred on its own easily. Hope seems to be the key to converting sadness to indifference. Once a thought makes you indifferent you don't have to mull on it. It's already taken it's effect. Painful sadness is when nothing can be done about a situation or when you're told there is no hope. That's when cathartic crying is helpful.

Yes exercise is a good way to treat bad emotions. But I'm talking about doing it with your mind. Focusing on hope and what gives you hope to control sadness. Sadness seems to pop up on its own from being alone with your thoughts. Sadness can turn into self hatred on its own easily. Hope seems to be the key to converting sadness to indifference. Once a thought makes you indifferent you don't have to mull on it. It's already taken it's effect. Painful sadness is when nothing can be done about a situation or when you're told there is no hope. That's when cathartic crying is helpful.
The value of hope can never be underrated; without hope we have nothing. We see a loss of hope in segments of our society, and certainly many individuals are expressing having less hope or no hope. The lack of hope can be temporarily paralyzing for those who cannot get “beyond today” in their minds.

As a teenager, I had one particular break up that was emotionally, temporarily devastating. I was a typical teenage girl, slightly self-centered, and it was an important lesson for me. My actions caused the breakup, and maybe in part that added to me feeling like I needed to “beat myself up” mentally a little bit over it. So, as a teenager I couldn’t get past the immediate of my situation until crying it out listening to sad songs. Teenage angst lol

For some, a loss of hope can result in a hostile attitude when anger is used as a way to express sudden loss, sadness, or depression turned inward. Without hope we have nothing, and helping loved ones and friends regain hope can be a matter of saving a life.

All things are temporary, but during a real life crisis a better future can sometimes seem unattainable. As you mentioned, proactively turning it around mentally is crucial and also a measure of self-protection. The expression “to lose sight” can be a real hurdle for those who forget that all things are temporary, and that almost all things are improvable.

Forum List

Back