Zone1 Contemporary Roman Catholics vs Martin Luther's 95 Theses

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm a born and bred Roman Catholic, 74 years old, and I have just read Martin Luther's 95 Theses, which are considered by many to be the starting point of the Reformation.

To me, it is interesting that he implicitly believes in the whole Purgatory - Indulgences - Plenary Indulgences thing, but thinks that at the time they were being abused by the Pope and others. On the whole, if he were a Catholic theologian today, his views would not be considered revolutionary at all.

Any Catholics out there disagree?

I'm a born and bred Roman Catholic, 74 years old, and I have just read Martin Luther's 95 Theses, which are considered by many to be the starting point of the Reformation.

To me, it is interesting that he implicitly believes in the whole Purgatory - Indulgences - Plenary Indulgences thing, but thinks that at the time they were being abused by the Pope and others. On the whole, if he were a Catholic theologian today, his views would not be considered revolutionary at all.

i am Catholic …. and i agree with you!

Meh ... Martin Luther's a dead man without Charles the Bold ... that was bold of him to just keep Catholic income for himself ... it doesn't surprise me none of these 95 complaints actual exist anymore ... Priests aren't activity and openly blackmailing the peasants into donating ...

My question is for Protestants ... now that Catholics quit their nastiness, isn't it time for you to rejoin the Mother Church? ... there's nothing to protest about anymore ...

... or is it just about the money ... and not Christ ...

When did Luther stop believing in purgatory?

Luther wrote in Question No. 211 in his expanded Small Catechism: "We should pray for ourselves and for all other people, even for our enemies, but not for the souls of the dead." Luther, after he stopped believing in purgatory around 1530, openly affirmed the doctrine of soul sleep.

Luther concludes, it is a doctrine conjured up from the depths of hell itself:

Of purgatory there is no mention in Holy Scripture; it is a lie of the devil, in order that the papists may have some market days and snares for catching money. . . We deny the existence of a purgatory and of a limbo of the fathers in which they say that there is hope and a sure expectation of liberation. But these are figments of some stupid and bungling sophist.

Protestants keep throwing out the same old hackneyed stuff against Catholics... getting it wrong EVERY time

Catholics keep explaining True Catholicism

and are summarily ignored

ho hum.... Life On Planet Earth

it be like that

Forum List

Back