"Construction" Zones

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Earlier today, I had the estimable pleasure of driving on the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes, and a few limited access highways in Michigan.

Picture the following driving scenario: You first see a sign that says something to the effect that a construction zone is coming. Next, you see a 50mph limit sign. The posted speed limit otherwise is 70, and most traffic is moving at 75-80mph. The occasional police car is inert and no one is being pulled over.

Then you start to encounter construction barrels, orange and white. No one has slowed down. All are still going 75+.

You see another sign warning that fines are doubled in construction zones. You know that all three of the mentioned states have laws that permit ticketing by video cameras.

After passing some distance - anywhere from a couple hundred yards to a few miles, there are no more barrels, then a sign telling you that the Construction zone had ended.

I went through at least 20 such "construction" zones today, and only 2 or 3 of them had any active humans or vehicles; only one appeared to have any actual construction going on.

What the ever-loving Fuck is going on here? These three states could balance their budgets in a single day, just ticketing every car that exceeds the posted construction speed limits. Honestly, if I had slowed to the posted construction speed limits I would have been a serious safety hazard by blocking traffic.

These state governments, each of whose Governors claim to be working for the PEOPLE, facilitates a situation where flouting the law is blatant and uniform, and where every driver is subject to crippling fines for merely traveling with the flow of traffic.

Earlier today, I had the estimable pleasure of driving on the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes, and a few limited access highways in Michigan.

Picture the following driving scenario: You first see a sign that says something to the effect that a construction zone is coming. Next, you see a 50mph limit sign. The posted speed limit otherwise is 70, and most traffic is moving at 75-80mph. The occasional police car is inert and no one is being pulled over.

Then you start to encounter construction barrels, orange and white. No one has slowed down. All are still going 75+.

You see another sign warning that fines are doubled in construction zones. You know that all three of the mentioned states have laws that permit ticketing by video cameras.

After passing some distance - anywhere from a couple hundred yards to a few miles, there are no more barrels, then a sign telling you that the Construction zone had ended.

I went through at least 20 such "construction" zones today, and only 2 or 3 of them had any active humans or vehicles; only one appeared to have any actual construction going on.

What the ever-loving Fuck is going on here? These three states could balance their budgets in a single day, just ticketing every car that exceeds the posted construction speed limits. Honestly, if I had slowed to the posted construction speed limits I would have been a serious safety hazard by blocking traffic.

These state governments, each of whose Governors claim to be working for the PEOPLE, facilitates a situation where flouting the law is blatant and uniform, and where every driver is subject to crippling fines for merely traveling with the flow of traffic.

Working roadway construction zones is one of the most dangerous jobs in the US. They will set up the zone, and then pull the people out until the work actually starts in that zone.

Bit of trivia. The National Transportation Safety Board did a study years ago. They set up radar guns at the beginning, middle and end of work zones all over the country.

They clocked the drivers and then pulls some over. The majority of the cars slowed at the beginning and slowly sped up as they went through the work zone. Every person stopped swore up and down they stayed slow. So not only are they going faster than they should, they didn't even realize it.

I have no problem at all slowing down when workers are potentially endangered. But that situation is very rare. Most actual construction activity is now protected by Jersey Barriers.

Forum List

Back