Conservative vs. Republican: What's The Difference?

I Consider Myself To Be First & Foremost A...

• Republican

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conservative

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Both, there's no difference

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither, they're both crazy

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
To those on the right. What do you consider yourself first, a conservative or a Republican? Is there a difference between the two? If so, what is the difference?

Why the difference?
That conservatives no longer have a party.
Sounds like an interesting theory. Can you expound on that?

Probably not, Marc. I'm a conservative but I have no party. The Republicans I see do not represent me. Their politics, their ideas, do not represent me. I do not even believe they are Conservatives or understand the meaning of the word Republic. That is about all I have to say. Thanks for asking.

To those on the right. What do you consider yourself first, a conservative or a Republican? Is there a difference between the two? If so, what is the difference?

Why the difference?

Probably not, Marc. I'm a conservative but I have no party. The Republicans I see do not represent me. Their politics, their ideas, do not represent me. I do not even believe they are Conservatives or understand the meaning of the word Republic. That is about all I have to say. Thanks for asking.
don't know why you say that? Republicans will be as conservative as the electorate permits.
If you want purity you have the Libertarian Party which is 100% impotent.

A conservative is someone who believes the Federal government should remain small and take care only of functions that private people or groups CANNOT do (national defense, foreign relations, setting national standards for weights, measures etc.). It should leave all else to state or local governments if they want to do them, or to the people themselves.

Maybe a quarter of the people in the Republican party are conservative. While zero percent in the Democrat party are conservative.

Some Republicans say they are "partly liberal, partly conservative", which is like saying a woman is "partly pregnant".

Last edited:

Why the difference?

I think I understand. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe a quarter of the people in the Republican party are conservative. While zero percent in the Democrat party are conservative.

I'd say way higher than that. All the presidential candidates seem very or somewhat conservative. Bush is the worst but he's conservative for sure

What is the difference between a Conservative and a Republican?

A Conservative is stupid every time he opens his mouth.

A Republican is stupid every time he refuses to close his mouth.
you can say the same thing using democrats and liberal.....
liberals lack the IQ for much more than calling names and painting clown faces
lots of your buddies here are the same way.....name callers....and a couple of clown faces too among them....

Why the difference?
It's not so much the difference but the inability of traditional republicans to take the GOP back from the TPM, the social right, and fiscal extremists.

Indeed, there are even some conservatives left of good faith – call them Goldwater conservatives – who correctly understand that their political philosophy was misappropriated by the TPM and social right.

A conservative is someone who believes the Federal government should remain small and take care only of functions that private people or groups CANNOT do (national defense, foreign relations, setting national standards for weights, measures etc.). It should leave all else to state or local governments if they want to do them, or to the people themselves.

Some Republicans say they are "partly liberal, partly conservative", which is like saying a woman is "partly pregnant".

Those are a bunch of words and names one can assign almost any meaning to.
Please define.

conservatives believe in freedom from liberal govt as our Founders did
"For the framers of the Constitution were the most liberal thinkers of all the ages and the charter they produced out of the liberal revolution of their time has never been and is not now surpassed in liberal thought."
General Douglas MacArthur.

Curious that you won't take the question seriously.

I ask to find out the right wing version of these terms. Is it not an important question?

I'm a classic liberal, which means I think individuals should be free to do any damn thing they want to as long as they harm no one else, even fags.

Why the difference?

America owes you and your fellow purists a great debt of gratitude for eight years of Obama, and if you and your fellow purists keep up your indignant nonsense, eight years of Hillary with all the Supreme Court appointments that will (??) make decisions that you and your ilk can favor. Yeah, right!

Think with your brains, not with your heart or people will mistake you for a liberal.

Created this thread two years ago and only just now voting in my own thread.

LoL!!! Ain't dat sumthin'?

But seriously, considering who's in Office now, the OP question is quite apropos.

Conservative, very limited point of view, not greedy or unkind except for things effecting limited view point. Republican, wider point of view but money rules, can be bought. NOW ask me about Dems & libs.

Forum List

Back