Conor McGregor may be the underdog, but I hope he knocks out Floyd "Girl Beater" Mayweather

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie

I'm in no way a boxing or MMA expert, but I'm starting to think Conor McGregor may have a real shot at beating Mayweather. I do still think McGregor is a big underdog, but Mayweather is older, smaller, more injured, and less powerful than McGregor. Also, Mayweather looked visibly more shaken/less confident at their face off press conference.

Initially, I thought McGregor had virtually no chance since Floyd is such a renowned defensive boxer, but Brendan Schaub makes some excellent points about Floyd never fighting someone with such an awkward fighting stance/style like McGregor:

Where I might previously have thought McGregor was a 9-to-1 underdog, I'm starting think he's more of a 6-to-4 underdog now. If I was going to bet on this match (I don't bet on sports in general), I'd put a little money on McGregor just in case he pulls off the upset.

Lastly, I do hope McGregor knocks out Mayweather who beats women and is now pulling the race card. If McGregor can land at least a few solid hits (maybe even 1 hit), it's going to be lights out for Mayweather.

Conor McGregor's coach lands biggest haymaker of McGregor-Mayweather tour

Floyd Mayweather has a disturbing history of domestic violence

Last edited:
I am not a boxing fan, but I would love to see Floyd Mayweather get his ass beat. Such a tool box.

I'm surprised to learn about this contest. Will McGregor be restricted to boxing rules, or will the MMA "cage" rules apply? If so I believe McGregor will win, because he seems to have well-developed wrestling skills.

I'm surprised to learn about this contest. Will McGregor be restricted to boxing rules, or will the MMA "cage" rules apply? If so I believe McGregor will win, because he seems to have well-developed wrestling skills.

It's strictly a boxing match with standard 10 oz. gloves, which is why Mayweather is heavily favored by most people. But McGregor is a southpaw who can fight in either stance, and he is an extremely strong striker with knockout power and an unconventional fighting stance. If McGregor tries to outbox Mayweather, McGregor will lose. But if McGregor stays unpredictable and catches Mayweather off guard, he can definitely knock out Mayweather.

It's boxing rules, hence Mayweather is the favorite. Under MMA rules, I'm sure McGregor would be the favorite.

McGregor is excellent at getting in the heads of his opponents. If he can make Mayweather mad enough to go head hunting, McGregor might have a chance.

I don't follow any of these meatheads tbh. I can't get entertained watching people get beaten up, though I appreciate the art and science of such sports and I don't begrudge those who watch. To each their own.

EDIT: I call these two in particular meatheads, just due to the shenanigans they employ to promote themselves, and in this case the fight. There have been many honourable, respectful combatants in the sport of fighting (though few and far between).

All I know is that Conor should get knocked out, at the very least, knocked around a great deal to the point of throwing in the towel. I imagine he will then ask for a fight by MMA rules, and both will make a big pay day again. This is how the script is supposed to play out.

A trained, professional, top flight boxer should never lose to an MMA fighter. The footwork alone will place Conor at a massive disadvantage. Just as when they fight MMA rules, Floyd shouldn't have a chance. It's like asking a professional poker player who is a good chess player to beat a grandmaster at chess. Not going to happen.

If somehow Conor does win, I will be calling out "fix". I've seen enough fixes in the fighting world to know it's certainly a possibility.

Last edited:
McGregor is excellent at getting in the heads of his opponents. If he can make Mayweather mad enough to go head hunting, McGregor might have a chance.
Mayweather's a shitty person, but he's spent a decades long GOAT career mastering NOT going head hunting. I'll take Mayweather by unanimous decision.

The only way this fight is worth the $99 Pay-per-view, btw, is if McGregor wins.

I don't follow any of these meatheads tbh. I can't get entertained watching people get beaten up, though I appreciate the art and science of such sports and I don't begrudge those who watch. To each their own. EDIT: I call these two in particular meatheads, just due to the shenanigans they employ to promote themselves, and in this case the fight. There have been many honourable, respectful combatants in the sport of fighting (though few and far between).

All I know is that Conor should get knocked out, at the very least, knocked around a great deal to the point of throwing in the towel. I imagine he will then ask for a fight by MMA rules, and both will make a big pay day again. This is how the script is supposed to play out.

A trained, professional, top flight boxer should never lose to an MMA fighter. The footwork alone will place Conor at a massive disadvantage. Just as when they fight MMA rules, Floyd shouldn't have a chance. It's like asking a professional poker player who is a good chess player to beat a grandmaster at chess. Not going to happen.

If somehow Conor does win, I will be calling out "fix". I've seen enough fixes in the fighting world to know it's certainly a possibility.

Shoulda woulda coulda. I'm still thinking it's a little iffy that McGregor can take May weather out, but I sure am cheering for him. James got to watching UFC years ago and I joined in the watching a few years back. I've a lot of respect for McGregor and don't believe he hasn't given his slight handicap a lot of thought.

[...]

[...]
Unless the boxer manages to get in a lucky knockout punch he will not stand a chance against an experienced wrestler who will cover up, move in, get hold of him, take him down and do as much damage as the situation calls for. If you watch a lot of UFC you will have noticed that the grapplers almost always prevail over the strikers -- and quickly. A few examples are Randy Couture, Georges StPierre, Matt Hughes, and B.J. Penn. That's just a few.

I wouldn't call myself a wrestler but I did wrestle at the YMCA and on my high-school squad. I haven't had many fights in my life but the few I did have I prevailed in with minimal effort. It really is so damn easy to take out someone who has no wrestling experience. You just need to cover against a head punch, get in close, tie him up and take him down -- and he's yours.

Last edited:
Conor's fighting style has equipped him with pre-conscious (reflexive) impulses (e.g., kicking) which he will not be able to follow through on because of the boxing rules. These interrupted impulses are likely to impose split-second distractions on Conor which Mayweather will not be similarly inconvenienced by. For that reason alone, I would think Mayweather's experience as a boxer and nothing more will carry him.

My small city abuts Grand Rapids, hometown to the despicable Mayweather and his equally despicable father and uncle, so we've heard much about the Mayweather clan over the years. There is nothing good to say about any of them, period.

All that said, Floyd is a tremendous boxing champion, 49-0 speaks for itself, but he is 40 now and hasn't knocked anyone out in over ten years I believe, but he's sure beaten the crap out of plenty of opponents in that span.

Yes, this bout is boxing rules so McGregor can't do anything allowed in MMA fights, thus advantage Mayweather IMO. However, I think Conor has a chance, albeit a slim one, by either taking Floyd out with a body shot or hurting him enough with one to then open up with his punching power to the head. Conor has this move or tactic where he crouches real low with his knees sharply bent and can move laterally quite well while down there, and comes up suddenly on one side or the other of his opponent and digs real hard devastating shots to their body.

To my knowledge there's nothing in the boxing rules against crouching down low as he can do. His feet are still his only contact with the canvas so he's not "down" as he would be if leg, knee, butt, etc. was on/touching the canvas. And to me it's a tough tactic for Floyd to train for because he'd first have to find someone who could mimick it as well as McGregor does it and, second, training for it and facing it in the ring with the potentially lethal fire power Conor's capable of unleashing from it are two different things. So, time will tell I guess.

Think the odds will be long in Floyd's favor so I'll figure out how much I'm willing to lose and bet it on McGregor just for the hell of it.

Forum List

Back