Congress's First Power Demolishes Tea Party's "Constitutional Principle"

A 30% flat federal income tax for every single american with ZERO tax breaks or exemptions available.

were not talking fed tax, were talking get rid of all taxes, realestate tax, sales tax, gas tax, fed tax, state tax, anything that is a tax or a fee.

Figure out what it takes to run the country and then as a % of all income(wages, gifts, investments,unemployment,or any source of money) and divide what is needed by what is made.

and that will be your tax rate.

That would involve completely centralizing the tax system and taking the power to tax/fee out of the hands of towns and states.

I dont think that would pass constitutional muster. i could be wrong on that one (as I was earlier in the thread)

MWCSID=123|Congrats_Youve_Got_the_Gay.jpg

your vast and varied collection of all things 'gay' is astounding.

you've got to be one of the biggest queens online.

:lol:

Paul Abrams: Congress's First Power Demolishes Tea Party's "Constitutional Principle"

One wonders if Congressman Paul, or any of the Tea Partiers running on such a platform actually bothered to read the Constitution, or whether they just purchased worn, dog-eared copies to convey that impression.

The very first enumerated power granted to Congress in Article I, section 8, of the Constitution definitively dispels their belief. Unlike the third power, the "Commerce Clause" that has been the subject of centuries of Supreme Court interpretation to determine what is interstate commerce is in a growing, changing and increasingly integrated economy, Congress's first power requires no such midwifery.

Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
The first 14 words grant Congress the power to raise money -- the 16th Amendment added "income tax" to the means (Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises) allowed to raise money.

The next 17 words, "to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States", specify what the money raised is to be used for.

Most simply stated, Clause 1 grants Congress the power to raise money to pay the debts and spend on the common defense AND the general welfare.

The Repugs have yet to explain how raising taxes is unconstitutional.

:clap2:

yep .. they just keep feeding the morons what they want to hear.

A 30% flat federal income tax for every single american with ZERO tax breaks or exemptions available.

were not talking fed tax, were talking get rid of all taxes, realestate tax, sales tax, gas tax, fed tax, state tax, anything that is a tax or a fee.

Figure out what it takes to run the country and then as a % of all income(wages, gifts, investments,unemployment,or any source of money) and divide what is needed by what is made.

and that will be your tax rate.

As long as you're sure to include income from capital gains I'm in. :thup:

Paul Abrams: Congress's First Power Demolishes Tea Party's "Constitutional Principle"

One wonders if Congressman Paul, or any of the Tea Partiers running on such a platform actually bothered to read the Constitution, or whether they just purchased worn, dog-eared copies to convey that impression.

The very first enumerated power granted to Congress in Article I, section 8, of the Constitution definitively dispels their belief. Unlike the third power, the "Commerce Clause" that has been the subject of centuries of Supreme Court interpretation to determine what is interstate commerce is in a growing, changing and increasingly integrated economy, Congress's first power requires no such midwifery.

Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
The first 14 words grant Congress the power to raise money -- the 16th Amendment added "income tax" to the means (Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises) allowed to raise money.

The next 17 words, "to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States", specify what the money raised is to be used for.

Most simply stated, Clause 1 grants Congress the power to raise money to pay the debts and spend on the common defense AND the general welfare.

The Repugs have yet to explain how raising taxes is unconstitutional.

:clap2:

yep .. they just keep feeding the morons what they want to hear.
The tea party is challenging the Constitutionality of what government is doing. They aren't saying taxes are Unconstitutional. Arguing that taxes are Constitutional doesn't make the spending or regulations Constitutional. The morons being fed what they want to hear by their political masters are you two dipshits.

I'd like to hear one single example of something the government funds, or may choose to fund, that is unconstitutional.

Hint: There isn't one. :thup:

If that turns out to be too much revenue we can use the extra to pay down the debt then lower the rate once we do, if its not enough raise the rate.

And yes I do understand that 30% for me is a tax increase and would technically be a "tax cut" for richer people. However the stipulation that there will be no exemptions or tax breaks will actually turn it into a tax increase for the rich.....hopefully.

30%!!!

Are you HIGH?!?!?!?!

I don't give 30% of anything to the government. They have not shown, and will not show that they will properly spend that much of my money.

I know its roughly a 25% increase on my current tax burden, and yes I'm the anti-tax guy, but I am a realist.

We have to either do something like that or eliminate entire government entitlement programs if we are going to sustain our government financially.

Right now my federal rate is in the low 20's I think. At least i'm realistic unlike many of these flat tax people who say "10%" as if it would be enough to sustain what we have allowed the government to grow to.

I could be wrong (and there's a 2nd time for everyting) but didn't Laugher put the flat tax between 12-13%? I think that would maintain us at an as is debt level or slowly lower it.

Either way, I'm familiar with some of the entitlement programs. Cutting them would do many Americans the favor of giving them the kick in the ass they need to get going and fend for themselves.

I'm not anti-tax, or anti-spending, I'm against all the friggen waste.

I'd like to hear one single example of something the government funds, or may choose to fund, that is unconstitutional.

Oh SNAP!!

I gots links

Of course, with politicians on both sides of the aisle driven by incentives that have told them to ignore the 10th amendment, Americans suffer under laws and bureaucracies created in Washington that would not exist had politicians adhered to the Constitution's limiting ways. Simply put, nothing in the Constitution allows for the existence of the Departments of Education, Commerce and Energy (to name a few), government-sponsored entities such as Fannie Mae ( FNM - news - people ) and Freddie Mac ( FRE - news - people ), or ineffective bureaucracies such as the SEC and the FDA

Unconstitutional Spending - Forbes.com

google

Unconstitutional spending - Bing

Seems there's plenty.:lol:

Oh SNAP!!

I gots links

Of course, with politicians on both sides of the aisle driven by incentives that have told them to ignore the 10th amendment, Americans suffer under laws and bureaucracies created in Washington that would not exist had politicians adhered to the Constitution's limiting ways. Simply put, nothing in the Constitution allows for the existence of the Departments of Education, Commerce and Energy (to name a few), government-sponsored entities such as Fannie Mae ( FNM - news - people ) and Freddie Mac ( FRE - news - people ), or ineffective bureaucracies such as the SEC and the FDA

google

Plenty in an academic vacuum sure. :thup:

But it's quite a different story out here in the real world.

Umm when did the tea party ever claim raising taxes was unconstitutional? I swear if libs were forced to stop making arguments based on falses premises, they wouldn't have a single argument to make at all.

We're not going off topic with rightwing bitching and moaning, the point is that the government has the power to raise and collect taxes, suck on that bitches, because you Repugs keep saying its unconstitutional...
Cite?
Not that I expect such a petulant child to actually supply one...

better question: Has the government ever funded something, in whole or in part, that was later ruled to be unconstitutional?

Yes, that is a better question.

It feels very strange to be agreeing with myself in the land of the sock puppets. :redface:

Oh SNAP!!

I gots links

google

Everyone esle is wrong cuz you say so.

Got it.

Why should someone who worked hard to become rich and successful have to pay more taxes than a lazy leech like you ?......

lazy leech? is that what middle class people are now? lazy leeches? i think you might want to reassess that.

perhaps the better question is why should a W-2 employee carry the tax burden so that rich people can put more in savings and corporations can offshore our jobs?

Last edited:
Oh SNAP!!

I gots links

google

Everyone esle is wrong cuz you say so.

Got it.

or perhaps, he's correct because there's no constitutional basis for the conclusion drawn in the article.

Forum List

Back