Congratulations to our own Dominic Thiem - US Open Men's Final Winner

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
We do not often produce Tennis Players, usually it's any sport that involves snow that we produce our home grown sportspeoples (skiing, snowboarding etc)

So I was in the bed when the US Open Men's Final was happening, the middle of the night here and with Kid F me and Mr. Lucy have to get some sleep in-between feeding sessions etc

This morning at 8AM I watched the highlights of the incredible near 5 HOUR US Open Men's Final, totally incredible match, Dominic was down two points on several occasions that IF you were Betting you probably WOULD have bet he was going to lose. What an amazing single minded spirit he showed, he NEVER gave up even though he was obviously very tired and exhausted he just literally stayed standing and fighting.

Also Sascha Zverev put up a strong fight across near 5 HOURS in the final and has nothing to be ashamed of for losing, he's also a great Tennis player and has a great future and we wish BOTH his parents the best and pray for their continued recovery from their current health problem.

As a nation how proud we are of Dominic and we HOPE that his win in the US Open is just the FIRST of MANY Grand Slam wins. Also congratulations to his parents Wolfgang and Karin who are both Tennis coaches for giving Dominic this fighting spirit that he has. Also congratulations to Günter Bresnik on his great Tennis Academy here in Wien that Dominic attended, here is a picture of Günter and Dominic:

1600078505844.png

1600077671393.png

....the US population is around 300,000,000 and we can't win in soccer......so, with Austria's population, they do fine
...sure, the women win, but the competition is not much at all

I didn't watch it live, but it was a stunning comeback victory and first Grand Slam for Dominic Thiem. Both finalists are definitely rising stars.

For me, it's still Borg - McEnroe who were the best. There were other superstars of tennis who came afterward, but the 1980 Wimbledon was the best match ever.

Thiem hits his forehand like Borg staying towards the left of the court. He can hit it inside - out to his right side or outside - in to the left side.

There is an old American sports axiom: "There is no "i" in TEAM." But now, at least phonetically, we can see that there is an "i" in Thiem.

But I digress.

I like Dominic, largely because I am tired to death of having either Djokovic, Federer, or Nadal win every stinkin' Grand Slam for the past umpteen years. But I don't like his style of play. Standing back behind the baseline blasting groundstrokes and hoping for the opponent to make an unforced error is a boring way to play, even if the groundstrokes are wonderful.

Serve & volley is the Gold Standard for tennis, and I recognize that today's tremendous groundstrokes make serve & volley unfeasible as a general strategy, but to have a player who is so reluctant to rush the net is not exciting.

Congratulations to Dominic and his countrymen. I hope he is the first of a New Wave of players to displace the Big Three.

We do not often produce Tennis Players, usually it's any sport that involves snow that we produce our home grown sportspeoples (skiing, snowboarding etc)

So I was in the bed when the US Open Men's Final was happening, the middle of the night here and with Kid F me and Mr. Lucy have to get some sleep in-between feeding sessions etc

This morning at 8AM I watched the highlights of the incredible near 5 HOUR US Open Men's Final, totally incredible match, Dominic was down two points on several occasions that IF you were Betting you probably WOULD have bet he was going to lose. What an amazing single minded spirit he showed, he NEVER gave up even though he was obviously very tired and exhausted he just literally stayed standing and fighting.

Also Sascha Zverev put up a strong fight across near 5 HOURS in the final and has nothing to be ashamed of for losing, he's also a great Tennis player and has a great future and we wish BOTH his parents the best and pray for their continued recovery from their current health problem.

As a nation how proud we are of Dominic and we HOPE that his win in the US Open is just the FIRST of MANY Grand Slam wins. Also congratulations to his parents Wolfgang and Karin who are both Tennis coaches for giving Dominic this fighting spirit that he has. Also congratulations to Günter Bresnik on his great Tennis Academy here in Wien that Dominic attended, here is a picture of Günter and Dominic:

View attachment 388432

View attachment 388431

He is more known for clay courts but he delivered big and will reach another FO final

Thiem is an unbelievably tenacious and tireless slugger. He's a worthy modern update of Thomas Muster.
He will be a top challenger for the upcoming French Open.

I like Dominic, largely because I am tired to death of having either Djokovic, Federer, or Nadal win every stinkin' Grand Slam for the past umpteen years. But I don't like his style of play. Standing back behind the baseline blasting groundstrokes and hoping for the opponent to make an unforced error is a boring way to play, even if the groundstrokes are wonderful.
I agree wholeheartedly about the lack of top tier grand slam challengers and Thiem can't even be called a baseliner...he's five yards in back of the baseliner.
But he hits every ball incredibly hard and is a tireless sprinter up and back and in amazing condition.

I do find it sad that Roger Federer seems to be the only top player who has anything like an all court game
though once at net Nadal has wonderful volleys.

Forum List

Back