Comprehensive board exams for successful completion of High School?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Recent stories about deficient schools, districts, and demographics point to the need for some way of measuring the actual meaning of a High School diploma.

Imagine that our unconstitutional U.S. Department of Education actually gave a damn about K-12 education. Imagine that they were interested in student LEARNING rather than scams to help the teachers' unions. Imagine that they focused on the mythical Three R's rather than sex education and cultural indoctrination.

OK?

Would they even countenance developing a comprehensive, standardized test for HS seniors that would ascertain whether or not, and to what extent, those humans have learned the materials that the Education Establishment claims they were taught?

And now for the greatest challenge to your ability to imagine: Imagine that they were willing to administer such a test with ZERO REGARD to race, ethnicity, gender, household income, religion, or sexual identification. Indeed, NONE of these factors would be tabulated, accumulated, or reported, for any reason whatsoever. To do so would be a crime.

And the results would be published to the students and families. SUMMARIES would be made public for schools, districts and politicians to use them for whatever purposes they deem suitable. Individuals could disclose scores to others, and employers would be free to ask scores of job applicants. Obviously, colleges could request the scores, and use them in the selection of incoming freshmen.

The tests would be fairly difficult, so that less than one percent of takers would get a perfect score, and time would effectively be unlimited to take the test itself. Subjects?

I would suggest:
  • Math (including geometry)
  • Reading comprehension
  • Sciences (Chemistry, Physics, Biology)
  • American history
  • Geography
  • Logic
  • Civics
But the actual subjects should be selected by teachers and administrators of K-12 schools. If possible, the tests would focus on knowledge rather than intelligence.

In my view (obviously) we should not have to imagine these things. The DoE SHOULD be focused on education and be doing things to promote or facilitate education.

Just my opinion.

Recent stories about deficient schools, districts, and demographics point to the need for some way of measuring the actual meaning of a High School diploma.

Imagine that our unconstitutional U.S. Department of Education actually gave a damn about K-12 education. Imagine that they were interested in student LEARNING rather than scams to help the teachers' unions. Imagine that they focused on the mythical Three R's rather than sex education and cultural indoctrination.

OK?

Would they even countenance developing a comprehensive, standardized test for HS seniors that would ascertain whether or not, and to what extent, those humans have learned the materials that the Education Establishment claims they were taught?

And now for the greatest challenge to your ability to imagine: Imagine that they were willing to administer such a test with ZERO REGARD to race, ethnicity, gender, household income, religion, or sexual identification. Indeed, NONE of these factors would be tabulated, accumulated, or reported, for any reason whatsoever. To do so would be a crime.

And the results would be published to the students and families. SUMMARIES would be made public for schools, districts and politicians to use them for whatever purposes they deem suitable. Individuals could disclose scores to others, and employers would be free to ask scores of job applicants. Obviously, colleges could request the scores, and use them in the selection of incoming freshmen.

The tests would be fairly difficult, so that less than one percent of takers would get a perfect score, and time would effectively be unlimited to take the test itself. Subjects?

I would suggest:
  • Reading comprehension
  • American history
  • Geography
  • Logic
  • Civics
But the actual subjects should be selected by teachers and administrators of K-12 schools. If possible, the tests would focus on knowledge rather than intelligence.

In my view (obviously) we should not have to imagine these things. The DoE SHOULD be focused on education and be doing things to promote or facilitate education.

Just my opinion.
They had that in California (not sure if they still do) but parents sued when their little darlings didn't pass.

OK?

I would suggest:
  • Reading comprehension
  • American history
  • Geography
  • Logic
  • Civics

Just my opinion.
The three R's is a messgae that contains misspelled words and meanings.

OK?

I would suggest:
  • Reading comprehension
  • American history
  • Geography
  • Logic
  • Civics

Just my opinion.

K

You are talking about all children in the US. You realize there is an AVERAGE IQ. Right? so that approx half those children fall BELOW average. Hate to tell you this, but when you have a below average IQ, you also have a below average ability to retain, work with, and synthesize knowledge.

So, how are these tests fair for these kids or their teachers? Does the fact that teachers taught some students who had IQs of 125 and some with IQs of 80 make them lesser teachers?

I'll sit here and wait for your wise answer.

OK?

I would suggest:
  • Reading comprehension
  • American history
  • Geography
  • Logic
  • Civics

Just my opinion.
Not going to happen, though I would approve. Furthermore, any student upon reaching the end of 1st semester grade nine or higher, should have a one time right to challenges the test and if passing, be granted a legitimate high school diploma from their high school, not a GED. In addition to this, the passing student should be awarded in education grant money 50% of the projected state and federal dollars that would have been devoted to seeing them go through the rest of their high school career. This would be a significant saving of educational dollars to the government and reward those that prove themselves able to meet the standard. Win/win.

It would be nice to try at one school somewhere to see what happens.

It wouldn't be good to fail 80% out of high school.

OK?

I would suggest:
  • Reading comprehension
  • American history
  • Geography
  • Logic
  • Civics

Just my opinion.
Sounds like the SAT's, only applied universally and with teeth for failure.

Department of Education actually gave a damn about K-12 education.
Imagine that the Federal Government has no legitimate power to have any involvement in the education system.

I don’t have to imagine it… because it’s the truth. Individual States may have some power to legislate or spend on education but the Feds do not.

What is it about the topic of education that compels so many posters here to shoot their mouths off without ever bothering to find out the first thing relating to whatever notion popped into their heads?

OK?

I would suggest:
  • Reading comprehension
  • American history
  • Geography
  • Logic
  • Civics

Just my opinion.
If they required that you proved you learned something in school I doubt 90% of the Negroes would ever pass.

In almost every state.
Most state have GED, but nobody I know looks at it as the equal to a high school diploma and no state gives back to the student half the projected money for early attainment of standard, that is saved by getting them out of the K-12 system. You can look at it as discrimination in educational attainment, but a GED is usually attained around here by somebody that would not complete the systematically attained 4 year high school diploma and was forced by circumstance to get the GED in order to attain even low level employment once they had dropped out because they did no wish to conform to normal educational or behavioral requirements, and often involved in crime to get by.

Most state have GED, but nobody I know looks at it as the equal to a high school diploma and no state gives back to the student half the projected money for early attainment of standard, that is saved by getting them out of the K-12 system. You can look at it as discrimination in educational attainment, but a GED is usually attained around here by somebody that would not complete the systematically attained 4 year high school diploma and was forced by circumstance to get the GED in order to attain even low level employment once they had dropped out because they did no wish to conform to normal educational or behavioral requirements, and often involved in crime to get by.
Not talking about a GED.

Nobody's ever heard of the MCAS in Massachusetts? The Regents in NY? LEAP in Louisiana? PARCC in Maryland, etc?

Let's all pretend the OP just thought up this nifty idea today!

Nobody's ever heard of the MCAS in Massachusetts? The Regents in NY? LEAP in Louisiana? PARCC in Maryland, etc?

Let's all pretend the OP just thought up this nifty idea today!
No. Glad somebody is doing something right, even if just at state level. If true, not surprised at Massachusetts or Maryland, but really surprised about Louisiana.

No. Glad somebody is doing something right, even if just at state level. If true, not surprised at Massachusetts or Maryland, but really surprised about Louisiana.
What do you mean "just" state level? Almost every aspect of education happens at the state and local level.

Forum List

Back