Common Core Standards--Yes or NO!

We don't want or need factory workers and those jobs are best left for those employers having a very very very hard time filling those useless positions.

Not everyone comes out of the same mold, everyone is an individual. There are lower wage workers, there always has been, there always will be. No amount of education will ever change that. You can lead a horse to water, but you'll never make them drink it. That's the same with education.

Didn't you hear? Most of our factory jobs have been outsourced to foreign countries, and our former factory workers want those jobs BACK, along with millions of other Americans. Not everyone is designed to sit at a desk all day staring at a computer.

Last edited:
I disagree in general with BS, and this in particular: "The object is to make it harder for parents to understand and assist their children with classwork.
It also sets the parents up to look like stupid bimbos in the eyes of the children.
This gives the child the idea that only the school has people educated enough to know anything and that parents have no ability to understand complex situation."

One of my clients is a dedicated and involved father, a chemical engineer. He brings his 3rd grade son to me 2 nights a week and sits in the lobby with his youngest son while we help the 3rd grader with his math homework. I go to the parent teacher conferences because it has become too frustrating for Dad. When dad helped his son with homework and studying, the child made C's and D's because he did not get credit for arriving at the correct answer without "ribbon modeling" or other nonsense. There is too much theorizing at the primary levels.

At the primary grades, we need to instill a love for learning. Instead, children are being held back in kindergarten, first graders have shut down completely and the kids feel like they are stupid.

I believe we should have a national standard. I also believe we have screwed this up royally K-3. When a practicing engineer cannot teach multiplication because "that's not the method we use," we have a problem.

It does make the child believe his 3rd grade teacher is better at math than his engineer father. His 3rd grade teacher doesn't even know the first digit of pi, but she trumps Dad.

I'm in the industry. Changes need to be made, and we need to move faster than we did with "No Child Left Behind." Over half of my students are 2nd and 3rd graders, and we are preK through ACT/SAT. Dedicated parents are spending $50+ per hour for homework because they can't help their kids themselves. I feel for those who can't afford it.

I disagree in general with BS, and this in particular: "The object is to make it harder for parents to understand and assist their children with classwork.
It also sets the parents up to look like stupid bimbos in the eyes of the children.
This gives the child the idea that only the school has people educated enough to know anything and that parents have no ability to understand complex situation."

One of my clients is a dedicated and involved father, a chemical engineer. He brings his 3rd grade son to me 2 nights a week and sits in the lobby with his youngest son while we help the 3rd grader with his math homework. I go to the parent teacher conferences because it has become too frustrating for Dad. When dad helped his son with homework and studying, the child made C's and D's because he did not get credit for arriving at the correct answer without "ribbon modeling" or other nonsense. There is too much theorizing at the primary levels.

At the primary grades, we need to instill a love for learning. Instead, children are being held back in kindergarten, first graders have shut down completely and the kids feel like they are stupid.

I believe we should have a national standard. I also believe we have screwed this up royally K-3. When a practicing engineer cannot teach multiplication because "that's not the method we use," we have a problem.

It does make the child believe his 3rd grade teacher is better at math than his engineer father. His 3rd grade teacher doesn't even know the first digit of pi, but she trumps Dad.

I'm in the industry. Changes need to be made, and we need to move faster than we did with "No Child Left Behind." Over half of my students are 2nd and 3rd graders, and we are preK through ACT/SAT. Dedicated parents are spending $50+ per hour for homework because they can't help their kids themselves. I feel for those who can't afford it.

I hear that from lots of elementary school teachers. You know when good students are crying over 3rd grade math problems--there's a real problem. They're young they get frustrated easily--and I imagine the drop out rate is going to skyrocket as this way of teaching and testing goes forward. That's why it needs to be stopped.

Here is an example of a 3rd grade common core math problem. The below is what my 3rd grade grandson brought home for homework. Keep in mind that he was just learning how to multiply the day before, and they hadn't got into division as yet. There was never any teaching of fractions, yet he was supposed to figure this out and color in the spaces.

BfA_taWCQAEvIv1.jpg:large

Last edited:
Go back to whatever created the greatest generation, and teach that. They could read, they could write, they could add, spell, think for themselves, use a compass, pass vocabulary tests, write essays, make change, compete.....

Or go to a country that is educating their children and adopt their curriculum. What we are producing is the butt of jokes like Jay Walking on the Leno show. We are raising morons.

Good point. We should follow whoever is getting the job done! I say we follow Finland.

Wiki--

Education in Finland is an education system with no tuition fees and with fully subsidised meals served to full-time students. The present Finnish education system consists of daycare programs (for babies and toddlers) and a one-year "pre-school" (or kindergarten for six-year-olds); a nine-year compulsory basic comprehensive school(starting at age seven and ending at the age of fifteen); post-compulsory secondary general academic and vocational education; higher education (University and University of Applied Sciences); and adult (lifelong, continuing) education. The Finnish strategy for achieving equality and excellence in education has been based on constructing a publicly funded comprehensive school system without selecting, tracking, or streaming students during their common basic education.

What The U.S. Can Learn From Finland Where School Starts At Age 7 NPR
You cannot compare a multi-cultural pluralistic society with a frozen enclave of white people up in the tundra.

Of course you can. Can we teach a multi-cultural pluralistic society to read, write, and add? Of course you can.
Culture has nothing to do with it. Thinking that is does is why we are where we are today. Leave culture, and race, touchy feely out of it and teach for God's sake.
Get culture, race and touchy feely out of the text and maybe we could teach.

I
Children are to be freed from the tyranny of rote memory....

Nonsense.
I know it is nonsense, you know it is nonsense, teachers know it is nonsense, but "educators" don't get it.

If you've got kids or grand kids in elementary school you can do something about it.

You can call or write your state legislatures (whomever your representative is) and raise holy hell about this.
That is what you can do. You can sign petitions to stop the Common Core, you can go to your PTA'S, there's lots of things you can do. Doing nothing is no excuse. These are your kids, they are the future of this country, and they need to be the best they can be.

The way they teach 3rd grade math is ridiculous. They will spend a day on simple math multiplying 2 x 2, the next day they'll go back to adding and subtracting, then without any teaching of division, they'll jump into fractions. Multiplication tables are not taught in school anymore. If they can prove that 2 x 2 equals 5 then that's a right answer.

This the 1st time my 3rd grade grandson ever saw a fraction and this is the homework they gave him to do. See if you can figure it out?

I don't see any shaded parts.

Meanwhile, American children cannot be safe in school until the federals butt out of education entirely. The very instant local school boards let even their state start putting money into schools the door was open to Hitler or Stalin mandatory indoctrination.

What's next, an Obama Youth Movement?

It's coming but not as quickly as some might think. The proponents are still arguing whether the uniform shirt colour will be. They've narrowed it down, though, to Black, Brown or Red. But all agree on khaki shorts for all three genders.

Common Core is based on a lot of good intentions, but it has become a cluster-you-know-what. Many of the so called new methods used in math with comon core (CC) in the lower grades are intended to gives students the background and understanding to be ready learn more advanced concepts in the more advanced grades. For example, learning that 9+6 is the same as 9+1+5 may help students later on when they learn the distributive property in algebra. That being said, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I

Nonsense.
I know it is nonsense, you know it is nonsense, teachers know it is nonsense, but "educators" don't get it.

If you've got kids or grand kids in elementary school you can do something about it.

You can call or write your state legislatures (whomever your representative is) and raise holy hell about this.
That is what you can do. You can sign petitions to stop the Common Core, you can go to your PTA'S, there's lots of things you can do. Doing nothing is no excuse. These are your kids, they are the future of this country, and they need to be the best they can be.

The way they teach 3rd grade math is ridiculous. They will spend a day on simple math multiplying 2 x 2, the next day they'll go back to adding and subtracting, then without any teaching of division, they'll jump into fractions. Multiplication tables are not taught in school anymore. If they can prove that 2 x 2 equals 5 then that's a right answer.

This the 1st time my 3rd grade grandson ever saw a fraction and this is the homework they gave him to do. See if you can figure it out?

That actually looks like a good math sheet except the figures don't have the appropriate parts shaded to correspond to the fractions to the right.

I

Nonsense.

That actually looks like a good math sheet except the figures don't have the appropriate parts shaded to correspond to the fractions to the right.

Of course it's good math, but there is no excuse for giving it to 3rd graders as homework when they haven't even gotten through multiplication or division yet, and never saw or understand the concept of fractions. Let alone that this paper wasn't even produced correctly.

I presume the teacher had another common core math test coming up in a few days and just winged it. Our elementary students are being tested 8 weeks out of every year.

Last edited:
I

Nonsense.

Of course it's good math, but there is no excuse for giving it to 3rd graders as homework when they haven't even gotten through multiplication or division yet, and never saw or understand the concept of fractions. Let alone that this paper wasn't even produced correctly.

I presume the teacher had another common core math test coming up in a few days and just winged it. Our elementary students are being tested 8 weeks out of every year.
Had the paper been produced correctly, it would had been fine to give to third graders. No multiplication of division calculations were involved. I'm not here defending comon core, however many problems have nothing to do with common core.

I
Nonsense.

Had the paper been produced correctly, it would had been fine to give to third graders. No multiplication of division calculations were involved. I'm not here defending comon core, however many problems have nothing to do with common core.

Maybe you have found a new way to do fractions without learning how to divide first? Maybe you should inform Common Core how you managed that so they can put it on their next test?--LOL

BTW--you might want to see what the AWARD winning Best Principle in New York State had to say about the 2014 Common Core Test Results.
What new Common Core test scores really show - The Washington Post

Last edited:
I

Maybe you have found a new way to do fractions without learning how to divide first? Maybe you should inform Common Core how you managed that so they can put it on their next test?--LOL

BTW--you might want to see what the AWARD winning Best Principle in New York State had to say about the 2014 Common Core Test Results.
What new Common Core test scores really show - The Washington Post
This particular worksheet only requires the student to recognize the fraction represented by the shaded picture. For example, number 1 on the worksheet has a circle divided into 4 equal sized parts. The student does not need to know how to do long division to recognize this. If one of the four parts of the circle were shaded, then picture number 1 would match with 1/4 on the right side of the paper. The students should be taught that the bottom number in the fraction is called the denominator which represents the number of equal sized parts of each picture. They should also be taught that the top number is called the number is called the numerator which represents the number of equal sized parts of the picture which are shaded. If a student can count then he can do this. Young Forrest Gump would had been able to do this worksheet had the pictures been shaded properly.

After this lesson a student should know that 3 slices of a pizza that is cut into 8 equal size slices is three eighths of pizza. (Most third graders would probably know this before the lesson). Now, what is so difficult or inappropriate about this? The only issue we have here is that the pictures did not show the shaded parts, a very simple thing to fix.

This could have been simply a technical glitch with the printing of the worksheets. Perhaps the color used to shade the pictures with a computer didn't print on a black and white printer.

Dominos pizza doesn't teach math to elementary school children, our schools do.

There is a process commonly referred to as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of WHOLE numbers, and then the concept moves into less than whole numbers, which are fractions. In order to understand and work with fractions the four cornerstones of math must be LEARNED first.

You can't skip multiplication or division and expect a 3rd grader to be able to grasp the concept of something that is (less) than 1. Nor can you be able to expect them to multiple or divide 2/3 x 3/4.

Furthermore you didn't read the 2014 test score link, because that sums up fairly well that Common Core is failing our students.

There is a process commonly referred to as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of WHOLE numbers, and then the concept moves into less than whole numbers, which are fractions. In order to understand and work with fractions the four cornerstones of math must be LEARNED first.

You can't skip multiplication or division and expect a 3rd grader to be able to grasp the concept of something that is (less) than 1. Nor can you be able to expect them to multiple or divide 2/3 x 3/4.

Furthermore you didn't read the 2014 test score link, because that sums up fairly well that Common Core is failing our students.
If you don't think that a third grader can understand the difference between half a pizza and a whole pizza or even one fourth of a pizza, then I am wasting my time responding to you further. Also, worksheets like that one ( but correctly shaded) have been in use well before common core.

If you don't think that a third grader can understand the difference between half a pizza and a whole pizza or even one fourth of a pizza, then I am wasting my time responding to you further. Also, worksheets like that one ( but correctly shaded) have been in use well before common core.

Unfortunately, math is not just looking at things, and making a quess as to what 2/3 of an 8 slice pizza is. In fact JOE why don't you show us, as it states on the homework assignment paper, how you come to a conclusion of what or how many slices EXACTLY, 2/3's of and 8 slice pizza is.

Next I want to how you were able to do that without knowing how to multiply or divide as yet? If you expect a 3rd grade student to do it without knowing how to multiply and or divide fractions, then I expect you do the same.

Unfortunately, math is not just looking at things, and making a quess as to what 2/3 of an 8 slice pizza is. In fact JOE why don't you show us, as it states on the homework assignment paper, how you come to a conclusion of what or how many slices EXACTLY, 2/3's of and 8 slice pizza is.

Next I want to how you were able to do that without knowing how to multiply or divide as yet? If you expect a 3rd grade student to do it without knowing how to multiply and or divide fractions, then I expect you do the same.
For some reason unknown to me you seem to think students should know extensively about fractions just from this worksheet which is simply an introduction to fractions. I explained in post # 114 what students need to know to do the work sheet. Knowing how much 2/3 of a 8 slice pizza is not required for that particular assignment. Knowing how much 2 slices of a three slice pizza is what is required. Students that do this assignment will also not know how to do advanced calculus which is a part of math. But they can recognize that two slices of a three slice pizza is 2/3 because the pizza is already physically divided into 3 slices.

that seems unlikely.

fractions-worksheets.png

Oreo! Here is a similar worksheet in which the shapes are properly shaded. Do you have any issues with it? Looks pretty easy to me. Even a third grader could do it. Do I need to explain the correct answers to you? Knowing how to do multiplying and dividing calculations are not required here. That is not to say that multiplying, dividing and more advanced concepts about fractions should not be taught. There is plenty of time for that.

Worksheets like this have been in use for decades, well before common core was invented. As I said in earlier posts, I'm not trying to defend common core because common cord has many problems. However, this particular type of fractions worksheet isn't one of those problems.

Forum List

Back