Columbine survivor on guns? She wants armed staff in public schools....you know, she survived a shooting so she actually has experience in this

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
A woman who survived the Columbine school shooting....wants armed staff or police in schools.....

So...anti-gun extremists......here we have an actual survivor of an actual school shooting.....she understands guns save lives....

When asked how she now feels about training staff and students for active shooter situations, Noble didn’t hesitate. “Absolutely, it’s necessary. As much as it breaks my heart, my children, who are now 13 and 10, have had that training,” said Noble. “I also have a sometimes unpopular opinion. I believe if a teacher or administrator has a concealed carry license and is properly trained, they should be able to carry within the school.”
======

From the rest of the column...

I would add, however, that along with these ideas, we should also remember that in the vast majority of attacks the perpetrator told someone of their plans beforehand. Acting on that information is another key component of preventing these attacks, albeit one that relies on functioning educational, mental health, and criminal justice systems. If those systems are set up to ignore or downplay risks (as we saw in the shootingin Parkland, Florida, for example), innocent lives are lost in attacks that were entirely preventable.

I am not anti-gun. I'm more pro-gun that the country overall. I do not believe anyone should have to get the permission of the government to own a gun.

I am against arming school officials. Now if a teacher wants to carry on their own, that is up to them.

I think the key to keeping the schools safe is metal detectors and searches of the students when they come into the school.

Like they do in federal courthouses and US penitentiaries.

Shouldn't we treat the safety of our children as seriously as we do our bureaucrats and convicted child molesters doing time?

I think the key to keeping the schools safe is metal detectors and searches of the students when they come into the school.

Like they do in federal courthouses and US penitentiaries.

Shouldn't we treat the safety of our children as seriously as we do our bureaucrats and convicted child molesters doing time?

You know how long it would take to search every backpack?

A woman who survived the Columbine school shooting....wants armed staff or police in schools.....

So...anti-gun extremists......here we have an actual survivor of an actual school shooting.....she understands guns save lives....

When asked how she now feels about training staff and students for active shooter situations, Noble didn’t hesitate. “Absolutely, it’s necessary. As much as it breaks my heart, my children, who are now 13 and 10, have had that training,” said Noble. “I also have a sometimes unpopular opinion. I believe if a teacher or administrator has a concealed carry license and is properly trained, they should be able to carry within the school.”
======

From the rest of the column...

I would add, however, that along with these ideas, we should also remember that in the vast majority of attacks the perpetrator told someone of their plans beforehand. Acting on that information is another key component of preventing these attacks, albeit one that relies on functioning educational, mental health, and criminal justice systems. If those systems are set up to ignore or downplay risks (as we saw in the shootingin Parkland, Florida, for example), innocent lives are lost in attacks that were entirely preventable.

If they are properly trained and self disciplined. If not they are as dangerous as dumb asses we have all seen on weapons ranges and on YouTube.

Armed guards in school is perfectly sane. If the first guy you're going to call when there is an active shooter on school grounds is an armed professional (security guard, police, etc...)....doesn't it make more sense to already have someone there? Armed teachers? No. No guns in the classroom. Armed guards? Yes. Completely reasonable.

It's inevitable that it's coming! Turn the schools into war zones with armed guards standing in the halls, on account of the need to protect the children against the threat of s 'shooter'.

Will it have positive results or will it lead to even more shootings and more gun violence.

It's not likely to happen in the immediate future, but the idea has been born at least. Now it will be interesting to hear if it has any real support?

1. support from the pro-gun side on account of their beliefs that more guns make any location safe?

2. Support from the anti-gun side on account of fear, as is the reasoning being promoted here.

I am not anti-gun. I'm more pro-gun that the country overall. I do not believe anyone should have to get the permission of the government to own a gun.

I am against arming school officials. Now if a teacher wants to carry on their own, that is up to them.
STATEMENT: "I do not believe anyone should have to get the permission of the government to own a gun."

RESPONSE: I ran my agencies Domestic Violence Unit. You would allow the abuser to own or possess a firearm? That is one example of many, to wit:
  • those who have been adjudged as a danger to themselves or others,
  • a member of a gang or a self appointed militia,
  • a felon who has committed a violent felony after being released on parole,
  • someone who has been arrested and convicted of selling a schedule 1 drug.
"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed" is a joke.

STATEMENT: "I do not believe anyone should have to get the permission of the government to own a gun."

RESPONSE: I ran my agencies Domestic Violence Unit. You would allow the abuser to own or possess a firearm? That is one example of many, to wit:
  • those who have been adjudged as a danger to themselves or others,
  • a member of a gang or a self appointed militia,
  • a felon who has committed a violent felony after being released on parole,
  • someone who has been arrested and convicted of selling a schedule 1 drug.
"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed" is a joke.

Sheesh, sorry, outside of those who have had their rights rescinded through due process.

Sheesh, sorry, outside of those who have had their rights rescinded through due process.
Of course. That is proof that the Second Amendment is a joke.

Q. Now what is Due Process?

A. Legal proceedings according to rules and principles that have been established in a system of jurisprudence for the enforcement and protection of private rights.

Enforcement is the proper execution of the process of ensuring compliance with laws, regulations, rules, standards, and social norms.

Even Scalia in Heller wrote so.

The topic is clearly stated by 2A but there doesn't appear to be much stomach for it so far. So are Americans ready to entertain the idea of guns in the schools?

And too, a pertinent question: Will the presence of guns in the schools be an invitation to others to carry their own guns for protection? That would be the normal response on the streets at least.

Of course. That is proof that the Second Amendment is a joke.

Q. Now what is Due Process?

A. Legal proceedings according to rules and principles that have been established in a system of jurisprudence for the enforcement and protection of private rights.

Enforcement is the proper execution of the process of ensuring compliance with laws, regulations, rules, standards, and social norms.

Even Scalia in Heller wrote so.

The Constitution clearly describes both. Just because they created due process to remove rights that doesn't negate the rights.

Teachers have a lot of mental issues-------
I don't think any teacher should be allowed to carry guns into class given the mental illness in this group (and others) and likelihood of kids stealing the weapons and doing more harm than good. I think the schools should carefully chose which teachers to arm and which not to for safety reasons.

It's inevitable that it's coming! Turn the schools into war zones with armed guards standing in the halls, on account of the need to protect the children against the threat of s 'shooter'.

Will it have positive results or will it lead to even more shootings and more gun violence.

More violence than making schools "gun-free zones"?

More violence than making schools "gun-free zones"?
Good point and direct to the question raised by the OP.
My personal opinion as it relates to Canadian schools, is that I consider it a very bad idea. I won't belabour the question further from a Canadian POV, unless I'm asked.

I'm really much more interested in whether the idea can get majority support here.

Teachers have a lot of mental issues-------
I don't think any teacher should be allowed to carry guns into class given the mental illness in this group (and others) and likelihood of kids stealing the weapons and doing more harm than good. I think the schools should carefully chose which teachers to arm and which not to for safety reasons.
Yes, there could be an increased threat from teachers carrying guns who aren't reliably of sound mind. And of course there would be no way of screening them out due to pressure from the pro-gun side.
And the guns getting into the hands of the children is also another real threat.

Another objection that should be raised is the possibility of an armed guard being so easily overcome by a potential shooter by a knife or a club and then the guard's gun be used by the potential shooter.

The case in a nutshell: Where there are guns there is going to be a possiblility of shootings.
Where there are no guns there is no possibility of shootings.

Except when someone breaks the rules and brings a gun.
Yes exactly!
And so it's at least interesting to hear the pro-gun side voice their support of the OP's imaginings.
But as I suggested, there's little stomach for the idea so far.

The Constitution clearly describes both. Just because they created due process to remove rights that doesn't negate the rights.

Consider regulations, rules, standards and SOCIAL NORMS. FYI, this is not the 18th Century.

Forum List

Back