Colorado: Raise taxes? Hell No!

If money makes no difference to educational outcomes then why do the rich send all their kids to those elite prep schools that cost so much money?

Here in indianapolis, it costs much less to educate students in private schools than in public schools. Of course, the parents who send their children to these schools pay the property tax and the private school tuition.

Private school cost per student is lower, test results and graduation rates higher.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to emulate the private school models in the public school system.

Schools nationwide are in dire straits because they have lost a great deal of revenue due to decreasing property values and state budget shortfalls. In most cases, these school districts are not looking for more money, they are looking to find money that they used to have and that is no longer there. Some cuts can be made, but you eventually get to a point where you begin to really gut the system. This is not a good thing.

You're forgetting the fact that when property values were increasing, the revenues were pouring in and school spending went up accordingly. Revenue is back where it would have been without the real estate bubble, so schools should have enough to get by on.

My Home town has a branch of the University of Minnesota. They won the National Championship in Football following the 2010 season.

My local township has a school system that has a high school and the idiots built a football stadium that is far nicer and seats more than the the national champions in NCAA Division 2 Football. They asked for more money and it was voted down 2 to 1.

When you have morons teaching your kids and graduating kids that can't read their own diploma, there's something really wrong. This is something that can't be corrected by giving them more money to piss down the drain.

They have a great football stadium, and they had to close 3 schools and stop busing the kids to the schools remaining open. The saying goes that you can't fix stupid. Our school system is an example of this. However, they have a great stadium and can play football after dark.

Whoopee!

Colorado students have to pay to participate in school sports? That's a rather sad piece of news. I am glad that I was able to participate in school sports for free. I would not have been able to afford the $450 a year to be on my teams. And I would probably not have done as well in school. Athletics not only offered me a much needed outlet at the time, but also was a powerful motivator for me to maintain good school performance. I know, it's kinda ironic, maybe even paradoxical. But being involved in sports helped me to improve my grades and learn what it meant to work hard and handle a full schedule. I remember being quite proud that at graduation, I received an award for student athletes who maintained 3.5 or better GPAs while participating in sports at least 2/3s of their HS career.

What strikes me is that how unfortunate it is that under privileged students are not receiving the same learning and developmental opportunities if they aren't going to be able to pay to participate in sports.

If money makes no difference to educational outcomes then why do the rich send all their kids to those elite prep schools that cost so much money?

The average spending per student in public schools has gone nowhere but up while the quality of education has gone nowhere but down.

Public schools like all government agencies are top heavy. When was the last time you heard of a rash of lay offs for public school administrators?

And at least in DC the real cost of education is on par with the tuition of those elite schools you mention.

The Real Cost Of Public Schools

We're often told that public schools are underfunded. In the District, the spending figure cited most commonly is $8,322 per child, but total spending is close to $25,000 per child -- on par with tuition at Sidwell Friends, the private school Chelsea Clinton attended in the 1990s

What accounts for the nearly threefold difference in these numbers? The commonly cited figure counts only part of the local operating budget. To calculate total spending, we have to add up all sources of funding for education from kindergarten through 12th grade, excluding spending on charter schools and higher education. For the current school year, the local operating budget is $831 million, including relevant expenses such as the teacher retirement fund. The capital budget is $218 million. The District receives about $85.5 million in federal funding. And the D.C. Council contributes an extra $81 million. Divide all that by the 49,422 students enrolled (for the 2007-08 year) and you end up with about $24,600 per child.

Throwing good money after bad at education is obviously NOT the answer to our piss poor system

Money makes no difference in government schools.
Correct. The Teachers Unions are more concerned of keeping thier jobs and adding to thier bank accounts and power/politics than they are of doing what they are supposed to be doing...teching young skulls full of mush to prepare themselves for real life and become productive citizens.

But what about the children?? Have the Democrats thrown that one out there yet? Where does all that Education Money go? Every year the Democrats claim our Public Schools are broke. They've been saying that for that last 40yrs or so. They don't have books & pencils for the children yet they have rows and rows of expensive computers in the class rooms. It's just a 'Little boy who cried Wolf' scenario for the Democrats now.

Where the hell did all those $Trillions go? I believe this is a direct result of Public Teacher Unions taking control of our Public Schools. Ever since they took control,it's been all downhill. There never seems to be enough Money for them. It's time to abolish Public Teacher Unions once and for all. They no longer serve the best interests of the children or the country.

Last edited:
But what about the children?? Have the Democrats thrown that one out there yet? Where does all that Education Money go? Every year the Democrats claim our Public Schools are broke. They've been saying that for that last 40yrs or so. They don't have books & pencils for the children yet they have rows and rows of expensive computers in the class rooms. It's just a 'Little boy who cried Wolf' scenario for the Democrats now.

Where the hell did all those $Trillions go? I believe this is a direct result of Public Teacher Unions taking control of our Public Schools. Ever since they took control,it's been all downhill. There never seems to be enough Money for the Teacher Unions. It's time to abolish Public Teacher Unions once and for all. They no longer serve the best interests of the children or the country.
Their priorities are askewe. They build lavish schools with latest tech and all of that but FAIL to engage in what the original purpose was to begin with.

Our forefathers were taught with alot less, in some instances in what would be squallered conditions by today's standards...but wound up meeting the objective of thier purpose...and they turned out alot smarter folks to boot.

Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see what's going on. It's more about appearences and power for themselves than it is teaching.

So a ten percent reduction in revenue for a school district should have no effect on how a district will operate. Got that.

Sure it will have an effect: They'll have to cut all the fat they put on when the good times were rolling.

Since that is the case, we ought to be able to cut spending to schools by fifty percent and it wouldn't make a difference. :cuckoo:

Ever hear of Bill Engvall? Well, here's your sign.

If we cut spending back to 2000 levels plus inflation, they should have more than enough money. However, during the real estate bubble, they got accustomed to the good life. The taxpayers aren't feeling any sympathy for them. Why do turds like you think the taxpayers are the only ones who should experience any pain?

Where the hell did all those $Trillions go? I believe this is a direct result of Public Teacher Unions taking control of our Public Schools. Ever since they took control,it's been all downhill. There never seems to be enough Money for the Teacher Unions. It's time to abolish Public Teacher Unions once and for all. They no longer serve the best interests of the children or the country.
Their priorities are askewe. They build lavish schools with latest tech and all of that but FAIL to engage in what the original purpose was to begin with.

Our forefathers were taught with alot less, in some instances in what would be squallered conditions by today's standards...but wound up meeting the objective of thier purpose...and they turned out alot smarter folks to boot.

Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see what's going on. It's more about appearences and power for themselves than it is teaching.

Yea i've never seen the Teacher Unions say they had enough money for Schools. It's always the same "We're so broke and what about the poor children?" rhetoric. So where the hell did all the $Trillions go? They spend more & more money every year yet they're still broke. I do blame the Teacher Unions for this. It's all about themselves at this point. They don't care about the kids anymore. They just want the cash and make sure more Democrats get elected. So Kudos to Colorado for a common sense decision.

So a ten percent reduction in revenue for a school district should have no effect on how a district will operate. Got that.

Sure it will have an effect: They'll have to cut all the fat they put on when the good times were rolling.

Since that is the case, we ought to be able to cut spending to schools by fifty percent and it wouldn't make a difference. :cuckoo:

Ever hear of Bill Engvall? Well, here's your sign.

If we cut spending back to 2000 levels plus inflation, they should have more than enough money. However, during the real estate bubble, they got accustomed to the good life. The taxpayers aren't feeling any sympathy for them. Why do turds like you think the taxpayers are the only ones who should experience any pain?
Easy. Gubmint trumps all in thier feeble minds.

Yea i've never seen the Teacher Unions say they had enough money for Schools. It's always the same "We're so broke and what about the poor children?" rhetoric. So where the hell did all the $Trillions go? They spend more & more money every year yet they're still broke. I do blame the Teacher Unions for this. It's all about themselves at this point. They don't care about the kids anymore. They just want the cash and make sure more Democrats get elected. So Kudos to Colorado for a common sense decision.
I blame the Unions AND the Federal DOE.

FIRST on the chopping block if I were running, and if a Republican gets the nod? Will insist make happen. Education is, and always has been a local affair.

Ame®icano;4362089 said:
AURORA | Colorado voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly rejected the nation’s only statewide tax increase on ballots this year — a proposal to raise income and sales taxes for five years to revive schools decimated by years of budget cuts.

Colorado voters adamantly refuse to raise taxes to fund public schools

So, every time schools cry for more money, they get it. Throwing more money should bring some results, right? Well, voters decided... enough is enough. They voted NO with 2-1 margin. Nice.

Schools nationwide are in dire straits because they have lost a great deal of revenue due to decreasing property values and state budget shortfalls. In most cases, these school districts are not looking for more money, they are looking to find money that they used to have and that is no longer there. Some cuts can be made, but you eventually get to a point where you begin to really gut the system. This is not a good thing.
Why would a gut not be a good thing? back when something meant something to someone you would strive to be under budget. Now its spend and spend more so you get more next year and if the economy wasn't in the shape its in it would be continuing with out worries and basically over spending.

Competition. We need it in education just as well as everything else. The public school system sucks, and we need to give parents more choices. We need to remove the influence of unions and give local districts the power to pursue alternatives.

Ame®icano;4362089 said:
AURORA | Colorado voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly rejected the nation’s only statewide tax increase on ballots this year — a proposal to raise income and sales taxes for five years to revive schools decimated by years of budget cuts.

So, every time schools cry for more money, they get it. Throwing more money should bring some results, right? Well, voters decided... enough is enough. They voted NO with 2-1 margin. Nice.

Not in my hometown... they are building Roman cathedrals in the place of the old schools,and a 13 million dollar football stadium!!! Wow, thats really gonna help :cuckoo:

They just keep increasing my property taxes ..... pisses me off! Hell, my kids dont even go to the fawkers! They go to private school. :confused:

Ame®icano;4362089 said:

Not in my hometown... they are building Roman cathedrals in the place of the old schools,and a 13 million dollar football stadium!!! Wow, thats really gonna help :cuckoo:

They just keep increasing my property taxes ..... pisses me off! Hell, my kids dont even go to the fawkers! They go to private school. :confused:
Yep. As I stated a few posts ago? Build lavish halls and the like...but for what purpose?

It's a waste. The children still suffer.

Teacher Unions/Democrats have destroyed our Public School System. What did they do with the $Trillions they received over the years? How can our Public Schools be broke? I'm just so sick of hearing the same ole tired shit from them. The money has always been there. Now how they spent it is another matter entirely. Get rid of the greedy Teacher Unions and our Public Schools will show improvement almost immediately.

Ame®icano;4362089 said:

so you say they throw money at schools while the article says they've faced years of budget cuts?

a proposal to raise income and sales taxes for five years to revive schools decimated by years of budget cuts

so, which is it?

I live in Colorado and yes it was turned down big time. It's that they're never CLEAR where this new revenue would go to-for Education---and that's scary to taxpayers of this state. No one is in the mood to raise taxes right now.

Last edited:
The Republican mantra....

When the rich want a tax cut, it's a necessity.

When schools need money, it's a waste.

Here in indianapolis, it costs much less to educate students in private schools than in public schools. Of course, the parents who send their children to these schools pay the property tax and the private school tuition.

Private school cost per student is lower, test results and graduation rates higher.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to emulate the private school models in the public school system.

God, I hate this argument, and we do hear it a lot. What is never mentioned is that the private schools are very selective about whom they choose to teach. They won't accept all kids. Got a problem kid? Try sending him/her to private school. Most won't take them. On the other hand, public schools must accept and deal with all the misfits and malcontents, and they must try to teach them regardless how uncooperative that student may be.

You're forgetting the fact that when property values were increasing, the revenues were pouring in and school spending went up accordingly. Revenue is back where it would have been without the real estate bubble, so schools should have enough to get by on.

My Home town has a branch of the University of Minnesota. They won the National Championship in Football following the 2010 season.

My local township has a school system that has a high school and the idiots built a football stadium that is far nicer and seats more than the the national champions in NCAA Division 2 Football. They asked for more money and it was voted down 2 to 1.

When you have morons teaching your kids and graduating kids that can't read their own diploma, there's something really wrong. This is something that can't be corrected by giving them more money to piss down the drain.

They have a great football stadium, and they had to close 3 schools and stop busing the kids to the schools remaining open. The saying goes that you can't fix stupid. Our school system is an example of this. However, they have a great stadium and can play football after dark.

Whoopee!

Just out of curiosity, who paid for the football stadium? Our school district is attempting to put together private funding for the improvement and expansion of many of our sporting facilities. They are attempting to raise most of the funds through private business and citizens who are willing to pay for this, so it won't interfere with the operational costs for the school district.

Sylvania Southview High School | Toledo Newspaper

Forum List

Back