Coal Miners Union Says Coal is Doomed

mamooth

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Just 44,000 people work in the coal industry now, with only 20,000 miners. There was a loss of 12,000 coal mining jobs over the Trump admin. Trump used the miners and then threw them away.

The coal miners are figuring that out.

That's the largest coal mining union presenting their plan to preserve Coal Country. Not coal, but Coal Country. UMWA President Cecil Robert's plan includes ... wait for it ... more green energy. Plus funding for cleaning up old coal mine messes. And it calls for a lot of social safety net stuff.

They're also calling for fudning more CCS, Carbon Capture & Storage for coal-burning plants. That's probably a waste, because CCS doesn't seem to work, not at any sane price. The previous attempt at it, the Kemper County Energy Facility in Mississippi, went so wildly over budget that they just decided to burn natural gas instead.

Coal is dead until people start dying from having no heat. Not this year. Probably not for several more. When the natural heating/cooling cycle of Earth gets back to the setting marked "deep freeze" hearts and minds will change.

Green Man.jpg

Coal is dead until people start dying from having no heat. Not this year. Probably not for several more. When the natural heating/cooling cycle of Earth gets back to the setting marked "deep freeze" hearts and minds will change.

Gas will keep you plenty warm too.

Gas will keep you plenty warm too.
Eat more beans.

Shove a a tube and connect the other end to your heater.

Squeeze, Squeeze, Squeeze
but not TOO hard!

I wouldn't call it dead, but in Appalachia it is functionally extinct for a multitude of reasons. I am not sure that most people there aren't secretly fine with it going the way of the dodo bird as long as something else comes along that allows people to make at least a survivable wage. The mine workers are a bit optimistic if they think that Uncle Sam is going to give their former members an open-ended check to cover the gap between what they were making in the mine and what they are making at Dollar General plus 401K contributions plus all the other bennies they feel they are entitled to.

Just 44,000 people work in the coal industry now, with only 20,000 miners. There was a loss of 12,000 coal mining jobs over the Trump admin. Trump used the miners and then threw them away.

That's the largest coal mining union presenting their plan to preserve Coal Country. Not coal, but Coal Country. UMWA President Cecil Robert's plan includes ... wait for it ... more green energy. Plus funding for cleaning up old coal mine messes. And it calls for a lot of social safety net stuff.

They're also calling for fudning more CCS, Carbon Capture & Storage for coal-burning plants. That's probably a waste, because CCS doesn't seem to work, not at any sane price. The previous attempt at it, the Kemper County Energy Facility in Mississippi, went so wildly over budget that they just decided to burn natural gas instead.
Yup it’s all about natural gas and nuclear.

Oh, you mean EXACTLY what Hillary Clinton promised West Virginia? That she would help them convert to Green Energy?

The dumbasses got conned by Donny Douchebag and lost 5 years.

Oh, you mean EXACTLY what Hillary Clinton promised West Virginia? That she would help them convert to Green Energy?

The dumbasses got conned by Donny Douchebag and lost 5 years.

05-15-2017a.png

Coal workers have always gotten the shaft especially for pay. The pay should have been triple to 5x what it is for the conditions.

Coal workers have always gotten the shaft especially for pay. The pay should have been triple to 5x what it is for the conditions.

Coal miners could go to work out of HS and earn more that 75,000 a year. But,the industry has shed another 100,000 jobs since 1980 and there simply isn't any way to bring it back despite Trump's promises.

Forum List

Back