CNS - One Third of Primary Care Physicians May Quit.

(CNSNews.com) - Nearly one-third of all practicing physicians may leave the medical profession if President Obama signs current versions of health-care reform legislation into law, according to a survey published in the latest issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.
CNSNews.com - Nearly One-Third of Doctors Could Leave Medicine if Health-Care Reform Bill Passes, According to Survey Reported in New England Journal of Medicine
:doubt: Actually, 21% did. Regardless, I doubt that. I've read other surveys that state that the majority of doctors support a public option.

(CNSNews.com) - Nearly one-third of all practicing physicians may leave the medical profession if President Obama signs current versions of health-care reform legislation into law, according to a survey published in the latest issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

CNSNews.com - Nearly One-Third of Doctors Could Leave Medicine if Health-Care Reform Bill Passes, According to Survey Reported in New England Journal of Medicine

Ha! What're they gonna do then, go to a farm somewhere and pick lettuce?

:doubt: Actually, 21% did. Regardless, I doubt that. I've read other surveys that state that the majority of doctors support a public option.

actually
If a public option were included in the legislation, as several liberal Senators have indicated they would like, the number would jump to 45.7 percent

actually
If a public option were included in the legislation, as several liberal Senators have indicated they would like, the number would jump to 45.7 percent
The survey doesn't match the rightwing CNS's article.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714177

The comments were made in a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada). December 21, 2009

The AMA, the nation's largest physician group, has been lobbying for an overhaul of the health system and worked closely with the Obama administration and Democratic congressional leaders. It endorsed the House of Representatives reform bill earlier this year but until now had withheld support of the Senate legislation. Last week, it opposed expanding Medicare coverage to those aged 55 to 64 years.

"All Americans deserve affordable, high-quality health coverage so they can get the medical care they need — and this bill advances many of our priority issues for achieving the vision of a health system that works for patients and physicians," said AMA President-Elect Cecil B. Wilson, MD, in a statement.

The Senate bill will improve choice and access to affordable health insurance coverage, the AMA said. "The bill will increase coverage for preventive and wellness care that can lead to better disease prevention and management, and further the development of comparative effectiveness research that can help patients and physicians make informed treatment decisions.

"Lifetime limits on health coverage will be a thing of the past — as will higher premiums based on medical conditions or gender," said Dr. Wilson. "These are important benefits for those who have insurance now — and those who want it but have been unable to get it."

Wilson also said the bill increases payments to primary care physicians and general surgeons in underserved areas while no longer cutting payments to other physicians."It eliminates the tax on physician services for cosmetic surgery and drops the proposed physician enrollment fee for Medicare."

AMA is only 20%, BUT other Doctor groups need to SHOUT!

AMA is only 20%, BUT other Doctor groups need to SHOUT! | ePluribus Media

We can't afford to lose 5% of the doctors. We are headed for rationed care with Obama, but at least the poor and unproductive member of society will have a piece of paper with a policy number on it.

Ya ya ya, I have been hearing this DR's quitting over lawsuits, etc for years. Thjey just keep putting up new wings on hospitals and opening private practice offices around here. 3 in the last year in my little town.

All the Gyneco's going out of business because of malpractice insurance, etc.
Well hospitals have been putting up womens hosp sections for years now.
yadayadayada
Keep it up though.

Last edited:

Here's the actual NEJM link. Wouldn't want people to accuse you of linking to a biased source.

Physician Survey: Health Reform?s Potential Impact on Physician Supply and Quality of Medical Care

On one hand, I can see why this would seem somewhat startling. But on the other hand, I don't really trust the numbers. It's not unreasonable to assume that a lot of these doctors that are against reform would say this even though they'd never follow through.

How many people who said they'd leave the country if Obama was elected actually have?

that's an excellent point, but in an earlier survey done by nejm 65% supported health care reform. this number remains pretty constant in the current survey. the difference is, the physicians support health care reform that is implemented in a more "targeted, gradual way" as opposed to the scattershot, throw it against the wall and see what sticks that the legislation before congress represents.

what i find of more concern in this survey is the following:
Health Reform, Public Option, and Physician Supply
• 72% of physicians feel that a public option would have a negative impact on physician supply, with 45% feeling it will “decline or worsen dramatically” and 27% predicting it will “decline or worsen somewhat.
• 24% of physicians think they will try to retire early if a public option is implemented.
• 21% of physicians would try to leave medicine if a public option is implemented, even if not near retirement age at the time.

Health Reform and Recommending Medicine to Others as a Career
• 36% of physicians would not recommend medicine as a career, regardless of health reform.
• 27% would recommend medicine as a career but not if health reform passes.
• 25% of physicians would recommend medicine as a career regardless of health reform.
• 12% would not recommend medicine as a career now but feel that they would recommend it as a career if health reform passes

Physician Survey: Health Reform?s Potential Impact on Physician Supply and Quality of Medical Care

we've had uhc here in mass for a number of years now, and several things have become clear: our premiums have gone up and will continue to rise in the future; it's a budget buster at the state govt level and there aren't enough doctors as it stands now. my old PCP opted for a concierge practice in 2008, meaning that i had to either pay $5000 up front annually to continue being seen by him or find another doctor. i really like him, but that kind of money was out of the question. i found a new PCP, but when i signed up with him, i was told the next available appt for a physical was over a year in the future. does anyone think, given the data above and the fact that the govt is attempting to extend coverage to 30MM more patients, that this is going to get better? i don't.

i don't question the need for health insurance reform, but this legislation will only make the problems worse, not better, and in the process will drive current and future physicians out of the field.

don't even get me started on the travesty that is *deeming the bill enacted*.

i've read the history of the end of the roman republic, i have no need to see it reenacted.

[/rant]

sounds like a bluff that they don't actually believe, what a load of shit. that's like the peopel that said they would move if bush got reelected

How many people who said they'd leave the country if Obama was elected actually have?

It's a lot easier to retire early than to pull up one's roots and move to another country.

Younger doctors have the option of going into other careers.

It's a specious comparison to use the "if XXX President Wind, I'm Moving" as an equivalent. Doctors have very specific knowledge of how their working lives are affected by the Government via Medicare. There lack of enthusiasm (despite the Highly Choreographed White Jacket Photo Ops) among doctors is quite telling.

If ObamaCare passes, supply will decrease and rationing via wait time will be put in place.

Last edited:
I disagree.

If Obama care passes, supply WILL INCREASE....it fits the laws of supply and demand....if it doesn't then it does not belong in the "free market" place.

DR's always have made a well above average income and always will.
Of course as the average income drops or rises so will their income.

To do what?

Not really. Most doctors are overworked and have high overhead. But most of them, IMO, go into the profession for more altruistic reasons. I see that no other country with socialized health care has any real shortage of doctors and we won't either.

More scare tactics from the right.

I disagree.

If Obama care passes, supply WILL INCREASE....it fits the laws of supply and demand....if it doesn't then it does not belong in the "free market" place.

No. The proper law of supply and demand involves the market trending towards balance via pricing mechanisms. If demand increases beyond supply, prices increase - attracting new participants which expands supply. The expanded supply then moderates prices. That's how a free market work.

ObamaCare does the opposite. The Consumer Demand is boundless - there is no cost discipline to hold it in check. On the Supply Side, ObamaCare includes boards that set prices (price controls); such government set prices are going to dampen supply creation.

ObamaCare will result in less doctors, longer wait times, and rationing. It's happened everywhere else it's been tried. This time won't be different.

Last edited:
Not really. Most doctors are overworked and have high overhead. But most of them, IMO, go into the profession for more altruistic reasons. I see that no other country with socialized health care has any real shortage of doctors and we won't either.

More scare tactics from the right.

Yep.

Hell, I oppose the current reform bill but I still can't bring myself to be so intellectually dishonest that I pretend to buy into this bullshit scare tactic.

I disagree.

Really? It would seem to me that uncertainty in the economic return for someone considering being a doctor would keep many away from that choice. Others will simply choose specialites outside primary care like they already do.

Forum List

Back