Church refuses to hold funeral for gay man

my antagonist chose his word for a reason.....once one has lost an argument you start chosing your words carefully so as to divert the argument from what it is about to one of semantics....

in any event, the purpose of a funeral is to praise ones life .... as i have pointed out .... i am sure the church would not want whoring or adulterating or pedophilia or murdering to be mentioned either.....

Which word do you think I specifically chose for a reason? I'm curious also to how you came to the conclusion that I lost an argument and therefore chose a word carefully, considering that was my first post in the thread? Are you under the asinine assumption that somehow I was engaged in an argument, and managed to lose it, before even posting in this thread?

my antagonist chose his word for a reason.....once one has lost an argument you start chosing your words carefully so as to divert the argument from what it is about to one of semantics....

in any event, the purpose of a funeral is to praise ones life .... as i have pointed out .... i am sure the church would not want whoring or adulterating or pedophilia or murdering to be mentioned either.....

You're making quite a leap from homosexuality to "adulterating", pedophilia or murdering. Not quite in the same league now, are they?

And it isn't semantics, you implied that homosexuality would be celebrated. How about comfort being offered to his family? Respect being given for his life? For his service to his country? For his friendships and accomplishments?

You think this church would have denied a funeral to Jim Baker for being an adulterer? I doubt it.

And if we're going to be real... I suspect the guy who started the whole Christianity thing wouldn't have ever denied a funeral to a "sinner", now would he? Seems some are so busy preaching hatred that they forget the tenets of the beliefs they presumably practice.

You're making quite a leap from homosexuality to "adulterating", pedophilia or murdering. Not quite in the same league now, are they?

And it isn't semantics, you implied that homosexuality would be celebrated. How about comfort being offered to his family? Respect being given for his life? For his service to his country? For his friendships and accomplishments?

You think this church would have denied a funeral to Jim Baker for being an adulterer? I doubt it.

And if we're going to be real... I suspect the guy who started the whole Christianity thing wouldn't have ever denied a funeral to a "sinner", now would he? Seems some are so busy preaching hatred that they forget the tenets of the beliefs they presumably practice.

the claim was ..... "all sins are the same" ....

baker asked for forgiveness and renounced his sins....are you claiming this gay mans family was going to ask for forgiveness for being gay and renounce being gay?

the what would jesus do argument....damn that is trite....

i say jc would not have churches as billion dollar businesses so we would not be discussing this.....

seems both sides are preaching hatred....hazzards of competing for the moral high ground....

any church can do as it wishes ....

any church can do as it wishes ....

Peh...this is one thing that has been repeated throughout this thread which is just moronic. They can do as they wish? No shit. Freedom of religion? No shit. Nobody is advocating the government censure them or tear down their church or some shit. Just as they have the freedom of religion to deny people funerals, we have the freedom of speech and expression to give our views about those tactics. This has nothing at all to do with freedom of religion.

Peh...this is one thing that has been repeated throughout this thread which is just moronic. They can do as they wish? No shit. Freedom of religion? No shit. Nobody is advocating the government censure them or tear down their church or some shit. Just as they have the freedom of religion to deny people funerals, we have the freedom of speech and expression to give our views about those tactics. This has nothing at all to do with freedom of religion.

so then....

should the church have to give this man a funeral and allow his family and friends celebrate his gay lifestyle.....and on hows authority should they capitulate

so then....

should the church have to give this man a funeral and allow his family and friends celebrate his gay lifestyle.....and on hows authority should they capitulate

Have to give? Do you mean be forced to give? If so, no, they should not. As to your question about authority and capitulation re-write it please. It makes no sense.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/081007dnmetgayfuneral.3617689.html
Both the family and church officials agree that the church volunteered to host a memorial service, feed 100 guests and create a multimedia presentation of photos from Mr. Sinclair's life.

But the photos that the family selected alerted church officials that there might be a problem with the service, Mr. Simons said.

Not OK with photos

"Some of those photos had very strong homosexual images of kissing and hugging," he said. "My ministry associates were taken aback."

And then, he said, the family asked to have its own people officiate the service. "We had no control over the format of the memorial," Mr. Simons said.

Seems to me the church was well within its rights to refuse to host a memorial service that would have promoted something which runs contrary to their beliefs.

High Point Church opposes homosexuality, and there was no way the church could host a service that appeared to endorse it, Mr. Simons said.

"Can you hold the event and condone the sin and compromise our principles?" he said. "We can't."

And despite the fact that the church refused to host the small memorial service, they made efforts to help the family in a manner consistent with their beliefs.

After the church decided it would not host the funeral service, it offered to pay for another facility, Mr. Simons said. The family declined and found a local funeral home to hold the event Thursday night.Even so, the church sent over food and the video – minus the images church officials found to be offensive.

"Some of our people will be there at the memorial service," Mr. Simons said. "We tried to do the very best of our ability to express the love of Christ."

BTW, the link to HighPoint Church in Arlington, TX is http://www.churchunusual.com/index.html in case you're curious.

THANK YOU... The family are wackjobs... There is no reason to mention his inhuman behavior in the church...

I have no tolerance for gay men... Why should I have to accept thier behavior...

Because we live in a free and open society. Don't like it? Move to a totalitarian state like North Korea or Burma. Those type of countries fit your sensibilities more.

Because we live in a free and open society. Don't like it? Move to a totalitarian state like North Korea or Burma. Those type of countries fit your sensibilities more.

Not at church.... that is what we are talking about here!

Forum List

Back