Christians - does your church prepare you for marriage?

mom4 said:
What does that mean... "put up or shut up"? If you're stuck in a marriage like that, you're already "putting up." So the person is just supposed to "shut up"? Like "So you're miserable. Sorry about your luck, but I don't want to hear about it"?
By put up I meant leave, sorry. Confusing wording.

Bonnie said:
That's assuming one person has no culpability and the other is completely at fault. People can fall out of love if there is anger or resentment that builds up and is never addressed. But I think your right that if it comes to a point that everything possible has been done to save the marriage and one person is not in it 100% there doesn't seem to be much hope.

Bonnie, the bolded statement is so true. Nothing kills love like built-up resentment, IMO.

Abbey Normal said:
Mom, the bolded statement is so true. Nothing kills love like built-up resentment, IMO.
I agree 110%, Abbey. That's why Jesus is so fundamental to keeping love alive. He alone can truly remove resentment.

shepherdboy said:
Marriage the ultimate sacrifice of one's freedom? I know when I married my wife, its was a marriage with Christ at the center of focus. I learned to set aside my needs for hers. She tends to do the same and we have total unity with each other. This is so hard to explain in words and I am a lousy writer.
Its like our walk with Christ. We surrendered our lives to Him. We live to serve Him and not our selfish needs. I am not saying we can't have any pleasure in our lives. I am just saying if we put Christ first above all things, all those other needs and wants according to His desire will be blessed upon us.(Matthew 6:33) I hope I am making some sense here, because I have been there and dealt with some of those issues. I guess what I am saying in a nut shell is really understand yourself and who you really are. Cast aside all selfishness and serve your wife with unconditional love. To really grasp this, is to really understand your relationship with Christ Jesus. (Matthew 6:21) "For where your treasure is, there your hearts will be also."

I think you are a very good writer. Many good points.

mom4 said:
Exactly. It takes a huge effort, if the resentment is deeply set. It's not a free ride.

...and it's hard to get over resenting somebody who claims to be innocent of all wrong doing...who lives and breathes with 'I'm just this way - you'd better accept this cuz it's not getting any better."

:-/

I need a vacation. :)

I went to a catholic school, they did not try to address marriage, however I could not help but crack up when they had the preacher give us the sex talk.

deaddude said:
I went to a catholic school, they did not try to address marriage, however I could not help but crack up when they had the preacher give us the sex talk.
Sort of like listening to a blind man describe purple?

The ClayTaurus said:
Sort of like listening to a blind man describe purple?
You never know about those priests (no pedophile jokes,please). Our priest quit the priesthood and moved to Florida with his lady friend.

Forum List

Back